Ohio rules that let Mercedes-driving woman collect food stamps

dakotart

http://www.dispatch.com/live/content/local_news/stories/2009/03/18/afoodstamps.html?sid=101

LEBANON, Ohio (AP) - A southwest Ohio county is threatening to ignore new food stamp rules because officials say relatively well off people are getting benefits. Commissioners in Warren County near Cincinnati said Tuesday they want to go back to the old eligibility standards. They were angry after learning that a woman with $80,000 in the bank, a paid-off $311,000 home and a Mercedes qualified for $500 a month in food stamps after she lost her job.

The Ohio Department of Job and Family Services says a change made in October bases eligibility on income. Savings, stocks, cars or other assets are no longer taken into account.

Commissioner Dave Young calls the new rules "really offensive."

(Devils Advocate)

This lady has paid taxes for years and helped the less fortunate. Now she has no income... why shouldn't she benefit from a system that she has supported?

That's exactly the same way I feel. She pays into it. Fuck it. Perhaps they should fix the god damn system before bitching. I bet if they take a trip to the majority of the 'low income' houses, they'd find that those people tend to have some fairly nice things as well, such as 60" flatscreens, new computers, etc.

I'm more inclined to let a woman like that use the system than I am the lazy ass, 20-something year old fucks who are perfectly capable of working, and don't.

The old system accounted for assets. I know that if I had 100k in the bank, I probably wouldn't be asking for $500 a month in food stamps.

I'm not so much mad at her as the government for allowing it to happen.

She is obviously is a little more well off than most people who actually need supplemental income such as food stamps.

(Devils Advocate)

This lady has paid taxes for years and helped the less fortunate. Now she has no income... why shouldn't she benefit from a system that she has supported?

I agree.

She deserves it as much as the people sucking it from the system without contributing.

BTW: I don't support the system as a whole, this is just a more valid use of it.

I bet she voted for Obama.

I bet she voted for McCain and Bush, both times. I'd bet money.

This is Jones-Kelly legislation, so it's retarded. I'm actually kind of torn on this:

-Food stamps are meant for people who can't afford food and need to stay alive. This bitch is suckin up tax dollars that she doesn't need, she's far better off than the average working American.

-It's a public service, and picking/choosing what part of the public can't use them is discrimination. She paid into the program.

I'll side with the Math on this one: Hell with her.

(Devils Advocate)

Agreed. She will likely never take as much out of the system as she paid in. How is that worse than those who suck the money out having never paid into it?

I served my country, got a great job making good money and paying taxes, and I've been fighting for months for unemployment. I'm glad she's getting money and agree that it's better her than some lazy bitch with fourteen kids

Amen. My wife was laid off last June, collected ONE unemployment check, then the company offered her another job 2 counties farther away than where she was laid off from, so the checks were discontinued.

Good people that pay into the system from the age of 15 (14 in my case) get fucked by that same system when they need it.

(Devils Advocate)

My initial reaction was that of outrage, after doing some thinking and reading through the opinions in this thread, it makes perfect sense now. A system such as this to allow food stamps should be there for the people who contribute to society and work hard in their lives. After all, her assets are paid-off from working, apparently, so food stamps are acceptable in my mind.

She has $80,000.00 in the bank. I think she can go without the public assistance for awhile. When that's gone, sell the car for a very cheap reliable one. And you have to consider if you really can afford to keep the house. If she isn't back to work yet, then she has to make cuts in her life style. You can't jump on the bailout plan, when you haven't even touched your liquid assets.

I would rather see a single parent working 2 jobs get some assistance. There are thousands of more deserving people in more distressed situations. She should be ashamed.

No. She needs to do exactly what she's doing. Fuck the system that's been fucking her during her whole life.

How has the system been fucking her for years? I never understand when people bitch about the government and all of us being screwed over. She payed her "insurance" premiums by paying taxes. She did what the law allowed her to do and I for one agree she is doing only what anyone who pays taxes should do in a similar situation.

She has $80,000.00 in the bank. I think she can go without the public assistance for awhile. When that's gone, sell the car for a very cheap reliable one. And you have to consider if you really can afford to keep the house. If she isn't back to work yet, then she has to make cuts in her life style. You can't jump on the bailout plan, when you haven't even touched your liquid assets.

I would rather see a single parent working 2 jobs get some assistance. There are thousands of more deserving people in more distressed situations. She should be ashamed.

I see what your saying but I dont neccessarily think this situation refects badly on the laws in place as much as it reflects badly on the charector of the woman. Yes technically and legally she's entitled to aid. Does she need it? Obviously not. Buy hey uncle sam's got bottomless pockets afterall right?