Broke shit at work, advice

wrillo

what to do  

27 members have voted

1. 1. what to do

• tell boss, offer to pay for it
    • don't tell boss, order new fan & move on
    • tell boss, the company expects mistakes occasionally, they should cover it
    • stop being so stupid

So I'm finishing building this computer at work, and its been problem ridden since the beginning (hence why they give it to the intern, they don't want to deal with it).

Anyway, someone else put the processors in the computer and it turns out they didn't use heat compound between the heat sink and processors. Well I was trying to figure out why the computer was turning off randomly [thinking hmmm, seems like a heat issue], so I stuck my hand down to touch the heat sink to check if it was hot or not and the fan caught my finger. It broke one of the fan blades off. This is server grade hardware, so these fans spin close to 20,000 rpm so its very important that they're balanced.

Well after I added heat sink compound I booted the PC up again and the broken fan caused so much vibration that my cube neighbors came over to investigate what was vibrating their chairs. So I looked up this fan and it retails for $75 bucks.. .. ehhh what should I do?

Tell you bos the story. someone else fucked up and as you were investigating the issue. the fan came on and broke. Sugar coat it if you want. But just be honest, and I am sure the company will look over this accident and pay for a new fan no matter whose fault it is. Just tell them you found the problem but they also need a new fan. People break things at work all the time.

the fan should not have broke, its not your fault, I stop fan blades with my fingers on server grade pc setups before, when they are making noise, purposely. none of them have ever broken. that plastic had a bad mold or something. you work needs to purchase the new fan. again, not your fault.

the fan should not have broke, its not your fault, I stop fan blades with my fingers on server grade pc setups before, when they are making noise, purposely. none of them have ever broken. that plastic had a bad mold or something. you work needs to purchase the new fan. again, not your fault.

:plus1: i do that shit too, if a fans brakes on a work PC then work should pay for it.

if anything you could sue your work for asking you to work on the computer, and the fan blade broke on your finger, and made your finger hurt. Remember you do live in ohio, this kind of crap flys all the time here. I heard on the radio if someone shovels the sidewalk in front of their house, and a pedestrian slips and falls, they can sue you. but if you dont shovel it, and they slip and fall, they cannot sue you.

Just tell them what you did, Honesty ls worth way more than a measly $75 dollars. Besides your working for free, and you fixed a problematic computer that a paid employee fubared, Your saving them money. say, "hey I fixed that problem with such and such a computer, but i put my finger through the fan and busted a blade off, what should I do?" They will tell you to put a new fan in it an get started on the next tihng on your list. Hell we had a guy new guy here at work, like his 3rd day, put a over head crane hook through the windshield of a brand new truck we were converting. Talk about shitting bricks, he almost walked off so he wouldn't have to get told he was fired. Boss just asked him "what the hell do you want me to do about it, call and get a window for it, we can't sell it like that" :lol:

Just be happy it was plactic and not a metal grade fan. You would have broken more than the fan.

Be honest, if the fan broke that easily, it's not a big deal. $75 fan, or a new server grade computer. I think they will cut you some slack.

And if that deosn't work, tell them you are King Shit of Fuck Mountain.

Edited by Cdubyah

when ever i stick my finger in something....someone knows about it...

Honesty is best lies always bite you in the ass..might be a year later but they catch up.

I run a business. It was a mistake. I wouldn't be happy but i'd respect that you told me and we'd move on. Honesty in the work place builds strong bonds of teamwork. If you hide stuff it confuses other issues at times.