fox guys get in here

kirks5oh

Detonation could have put a hurt on the headgasket, are you losing any coolant other than thru leaks? Did you pull all 8 plugs and did they all look the one you have pictured?

Check your timing with another timing light. Whats the timing chain like, is it old or new?

Have you checked your rotor phasing in your distributor? Whats inside the cap look like, any oil?

Pulled a valve cover for loose rocker or broken spring?

not losing any coolant other than out of the expansion tank. the timing cover gaskets have been damp (why i'm going to change the timing cover gasket, and water pump while i'm there). the oil looks fine. the car runs hard other than the pinging--i don't hear anything that sounds like a blown head gasket---yet.

only the #1 plug looked like the one pictured--the others looked fine other than 4 had the porceline under the electrode chipped--i wrote that off to the shitty gapping tool i used, sideloading the electrode and chipping the ceramic.

i'll check the distributor cap tonight. i'm assuming the phasing is correct--i haven't changed anything other than dropping a new rotor on the distributor--only one way the rotor would fit on the distributor.

i might pull the valve covers to check the rockers/springs after i take care of the water pump/etc.

Is the car still pinging or does it have a wierd sort of hickup or miss to it now and then, fuel pumps are usally working or not working at all...

I had a similar problem and I got a new TFI module and pickup for the distributor and had Rob rebuild the distributor and the car runs like a top and even sounds a little better.

the car pings when i go WOT, and a puff of white smoke comes out of the tailpipes for a split second. doesn't matter what the RPMS are--high or low--the car will clatter and ping at WOT.

• 2 weeks later...