AutoX School

Dr. Apex

Jerry, how do you like those new tires?? I didn't realize you had the new ones and the tread looks mean as hell!!

Well I got down to a 46.4, if that tells you anything ;)

In a word, they are unbelievable. Grip is insane, and the breakaway is so gradual they are tons easier to drive than the azenis.

Oh, and I don't know if you noticed, but my front break lock is GONE. Put some shitty OEM non-sticky pads up front, and the brakes are 100x easier to modulate.

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I did notice a lack of tire smoke from your car!!!

Yeah, the first right hand 180 (after passing the two optional tire walls) was just begging for me to lock the tires. A good test of the new setup, and it passed with flying colors.

What kind of tires did you go with Jerry? I was set on putting Azenis back on my car, but I am open to something new.

I went with the Bridgestone RE-11's (and am obviously happy with them). If you buy them before the end of April, there is a $100 rebate. The Kumho XS has also proved to be just as fast (or faster), and is very inexpensive. Other choices would be the Toyo R1R and Dunlop Star Spec. A lot of that decision would depend on what sizes you are looking for, but any of those tires are much much improved over the Azenis.

Thanks for the info. I assume that is a manufacturer rebate? I will look more into this when I get home tonight from class. NTB the cheapest?

Yeah, manufacturer's rebate:

http://www.bridgestonetire.com/images/universal_images/hp_banners/Spring_Promotion_09.pdf

I actually drove to Lexington KY and bought them from a CKR SCCA autoxer down there who manages a tire store. I know him through some cincy scca people. You could try NTB, or tirerack is always a good bet.

Yeah, manufacturer's rebate:

http://www.bridgestonetire.com/images/universal_images/hp_banners/Spring_Promotion_09.pdf

I actually drove to Lexington KY and bought them from a CKR SCCA autoxer down there who manages a tire store. I know him through some cincy scca people. You could try NTB, or tirerack is always a good bet.

Thanks! Now I need to hopefully gather up enough scratch to buy some tires.

Hope to see the Honda guys at the next one!

Dunno about that yet. My school/work schedule is crap.

HOLY hell! That really brings out the color doesn't it? Nice job! Thanks :)

wished my build was done in time for this, id like to try the whole autox thing. im too nervous to get out there and look like a fool not knowing how to take corners.

you always go mudcrutch?