Annual Reminder: Deadliest Catch

Draco-REX

Can't wait. Infact, I can't wait for Alaska week, starting tomorrow. Also, I'm looking forward to season 2 of The Alaska Experiment.

ALso starting Monday at 10pm is "Doin' Da Vinci." A bunch of guys actually assemble and test Da Vinci's inventions. That looks really interesting.

forgot how much i love that show--i caught several hours of the marathon last night. phil was 'hamming' it up a bit about the blood clot/PE. yeah, its very serious, but there are ways to treat it. he told his kids that he would bleed to death if he stubbed his toe on the boat, etc, etc--not exactly true, but whatever--i'm not questioning how bad-ass those guys are.

forgot how much i love that show--i caught several hours of the marathon last night. phil was 'hamming' it up a bit about the blood clot/PE. yeah, its very serious, but there are ways to treat it. he told his kids that he would bleed to death if he stubbed his toe on the boat, etc, etc--not exactly true, but whatever--i'm not questioning how bad-ass those guys are.

You noticed that too, eh?

"There's nothing I can do about this."

I bet cutting out the cigarettes, RedBull, Mtn. Dew, and your horrible diet would be a good start. Not to mention, I'm sure he'll be put on warfarin the rest of his life.

The only out of shape guys I see are the ones behind the wheel. But then what can you expect when they sit all the time sucking down red bull, coffee, and cigarettes. The guys on deck, even the old ones, don't look like softies. Frankly, I know I couldn't handle working like they do. Hell, they made a Rodeo rider look like Peter Griffin.

Frankly, I know I couldn't handle working like they do. Hell, they made a Rodeo rider look like Peter Griffin.

+1

amazingly dangerous, freezing cold, soaking wet, numb, completely exhausted--and then you realize you have to be up another 18 hours. greenhorns get shit on like its nobodies business--you're treated like a complete outsider--almost like an enemy

Although, to kind of play Devil's advocate... Remember the greenhorn on the Northwestern two years ago? He showed up, took the shit, worked his ass off, and did all that he could to fit in and impress the crew. He even took a hit from Matt. At the end of the season, Sig gave the kid the jacket off his own back. That's badass. Funny thing is, before signing on the Northwestern, the kid was just a skater punk in CA.

So it's possible that attitude can make up for a lack of physical strength. But you have to have an abundance of at least one or the other.

before this became a popular show (probably 8-10 years ago), reader's digest did a special article on crab fishermen. it was in the 'book section' of reader's digest--probably 20 pages long. the author rode along with the crew to document how dangerous of a job it was. a couple days into the trip, one of the greenhorns quit--refused to work. he stayed in his bunk, and only came out once a day for food. the reader's digest author took his place, worked his ass off, and took the greenhorn's share at the end of the trip.

pretty interesting article which confirms what the tv show portrays---comlete insanity, with big payoff at the end--

Although, to kind of play Devil's advocate... Remember the greenhorn on the Northwestern two years ago? He showed up, took the shit, worked his ass off, and did all that he could to fit in and impress the crew. He even took a hit from Matt. At the end of the season, Sig gave the kid the jacket off his own back. That's badass. Funny thing is, before signing on the Northwestern, the kid was just a skater punk in CA.

So it's possible that attitude can make up for a lack of physical strength. But you have to have an abundance of at least one or the other.

I'll agree that kid still busts his balls, but I can see how he gets annoying quick. He seems like he's got his nose up Edgar's ass 24/7 and will jump to do the BS work. Can't knock the kid for being a hard worker though, bet he'll be running the deck in a few years. Last I saw, I think he's a full share deck hand now.