Fucking COBRA FUCKING FAILURE

dover

• Replies 248
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dover,

I dont think this is going to be such a big dent in the wallet since we are all going to take care of this. But let it be known if I scrape any knuckles helping you I want 5% of your street earnings from that bolt-on GT.jk.

I think we should start on it after the track day. Maybe the 25th.

lol i hear ya, theres no back seat in the cobra either though! i may keep the cobra, depends on how much this rebuild takes out of me. if i do keep the cobra i want a comma in my dyno.

do a 302 stroker or just good rings and pistons and have fun

If you read all 8 pages you would have seen that it is bad rings. No need for a compression test or a leak down when you have oil all over the passenger side and alittle oil on the drivers side. The spark plug was also covered in oil. This would tell us that the rings are bad and boost is getting by the rings.

We are how ever going to do a leak down and compression test to verify before we pull the motor and put new pistons and rings on it.

bad rings doesn't explain oil all over the engine bay. Having not seen any pictures or the car in person there is really no way to tell, but there is more than 1 way to get the symptoms discribed in the thread. oil on the plug can be explained by oil sitting in the plug hole and covered the strap as they pulled it out. there are other ways for oil to get into a chamber other than rings as well. Could it be rings? sure. but what else failed to get the oil outside the motor? PCV system?

after reading all the pages all i've seen is speculation.

this thread makes my junk tickle. It went from "FUCK THIS COBRA" to "short block anyone?" in a day.

Dont sell it, cause if you do it will most likely end up in my garage or with me in it smashed into a cement barrier wall on 270.....think about it man...you do not want either of these things (or do you? mmmmm?)

bad rings doesn't explain oil all over the engine bay. Having not seen any pictures or the car in person there is really no way to tell, but there is more than 1 way to get the symptoms discribed in the thread. oil on the plug can be explained by oil sitting in the plug hole and covered the strap as they pulled it out. there are other ways for oil to get into a chamber other than rings as well. Could it be rings? sure. but what else failed to get the oil outside the motor? PCV system?

after reading all the pages all i've seen is speculation.

I'm on the WTF train as well...

Pulled the plugs. Front Passanger Plug is fried with oil all over it. Were assuming rings. FML

Bold has me worried. If it is melted, there's at least piston damage if that much heat made it to the plug.

I'm on the WTF train as well...

Bold has me worried. If it is melted, there's at least piston damage if that much heat made it to the plug.

Read the entire post then. I pulled the plug. The plug wasn't fried just covered in oil. The boost got past the rings and sprayed oil out of his breathers. Hence the oil in the engine bay. No speculation just facts. NO PCV.

Read the entire post then. I pulled the plug. The plug wasn't fried just covered in oil. The boost got past the rings and sprayed oil out of his breathers. Hence the oil in the engine bay. No speculation just facts. NO PCV.

If there was no damage to the plug -- what was the root cause of the ring failure? I don't think many people will buy "boost" as the answer.

I'm sure alot of the 'speculation' will be anwsered once the motor's apart but it's hard to show facts or evidence when the car is sitting in a small garage with no light and still together. So when things are torn down anwsers will be revealed. I'm honestly not to worried about it. I got some damn good friends helping me here.

I'm sure alot of the 'speculation' will be anwsered once the motor's apart but it's hard to show facts or evidence when the car is sitting in a small garage with no light and still together. So when things are torn down anwsers will be revealed. I'm honestly not to worried about it. I got some damn good friends helping me here.

We're just trying to help you, queen of battle. Fixing a problem and finding the solution are two different things - just keep that in mind before you spend anything.

What if the rings weren't the source of the excess blow-by? What if the the compressor seal(s) are leaking pressure through the oil return into the crankcase? Brian did mention some blue smoke, an early sign of oil in the exhaust.

I think calling "witch" without, at minimum, a compression check isn't a very logical idea.

I understand this. Like I had said before the car is in a dark small garage, when we get it over to the bigger garage the neccessary steps to finding the correct solution will be done. Right now though as it sits it is all speculation. (I don't understand the Queen of Battle thing, I mean are you reffering to the Army or..)

this thread makes my junk tickle. It went from "FUCK THIS COBRA" to "short block anyone?" in a day.

Dont sell it, cause if you do it will most likely end up in my garage or with me in it smashed into a cement barrier wall on 270.....think about it man...you do not want either of these things (or do you? mmmmm?)

you still hang out with that Amy chick?

I understand this. Like I had said before the car is in a dark small garage, when we get it over to the bigger garage the neccessary steps to finding the correct solution will be done. Right now though as it sits it is all speculation. (I don't understand the Queen of Battle thing, I mean are you reffering to the Army or..)

11B, the queen of battle (infantry)

Do any of you high hp mustang guys run vacuum pumps for the breather problems?An added benefit is some help with ring seal.

i'm at 590rwhp with 17psi blower. my passenger side breather feeds directly into the intake tract (completely stock), and the driver's side (PCV) hosing goes to an oil collection can, and then into a vacuum fitting on the back of the blower (in the stock location). the only problem i've ever had was when i replaced the PCV valve, with one that was slightly smaller, and it kept getting blown out of its fitting. once i got a little bigger one, it fits just fine, and i haven't had any problems with this.

Guest 614Streets
i'm at 590rwhp with 17psi blower. my passenger side breather feeds directly into the intake tract (completely stock), and the driver's side (PCV) hosing goes to an oil collection can, and then into a vacuum fitting on the back of the blower (in the stock location). the only problem i've ever had was when i replaced the PCV valve, with one that was slightly smaller, and it kept getting blown out of its fitting. once i got a little bigger one, it fits just fine, and i haven't had any problems with this.

Why wouldn't anyone with a big engine run a crankcase pullout though? I just dont get it. Vacuum pumps on big psi are underrated engine savers/hp makers , not IMO , its proven.