DSM ECM capacitor replacment.

Guest mitsumodder

Guest mitsumodder
My poor little DSM needs new caps. Anyone here know of somewhere I can send my ECM to have the capacitors replaced? Or does anyone have a good 1G DSM ECM for a 5 speed AWD 1992 with 6262 on it? Any insight on my situation would be nice. Thanks.

Guest mitsumodder
Is this what he does? Will there be a guarantee behind it? Not to be rude, but, I dont want to end up with no ECM at all because it gets all F'ed up.

Is this what he does? Will there be a guarantee behind it? Not to be rude, but, I dont want to end up with no ECM at all because it gets all F'ed up.

just send it in to any of the many dsm shops that do this? I sent mine to keydriver and it was cheaper then anyone in ohio.

FUCKING DAMNIT. Let's try to reply for the third time. If you look up what you need and buy them I will do it for free. Though I'll make no guarantees and it's when I have time, but it's free and I know what I'm doing. I've already done my FI and AT ECU's (long time ago) and it's simple for anyone who's done any soldering/electronics work. You're not talking about anything small/delicate near what's being worked on.

It's gravy....

If your afraid to try some capasitor replacments then ur a wimp...

find a old clock or something, take parts off of the boards untill it quits working, then put them back on till it works again... then repeat.

If you afraid to try a little simple solding, stay away from timing belt changes or anything else a dsm may require.

*disclaimer, I'm not shit talking, just motivating you to gain some experience and learn something new.

Also, go to radio shack,,, they have a niftey suction tool for removing the old solder...

they also make another type ofabsobiant material to suck up the old solder... looks like a loosely woven thread. I forget what it is called but I will look at my toolbox at work tommorow.

and stay way from butain solder irons, they suck, and the exhaust always tends to hit your finger at the wrong time.

if its just the caps its a simple fix if its not or if its an eprom its going to take more work, but make sure you know what your doing, dont end up with a janky ass dsm like 95% of columbus dsm has becuase they are too cheap to do things right.

am i part of that 95%?

• 2 weeks later...
Just a word of advice in case you overlooked this: Be sure to *properly* clean the board if it had any contamination on it, and then conformal coat the whole thing when you are done soldering. I have had (and know others that have had) their car run great for a few days/weeks/whatever and then the symptoms came back due to rapidly deteriorating components. On a 15+ year old ECU, special attention is a MUST.

Just a word of advice in case you overlooked this: Be sure to *properly* clean the board if it had any contamination on it, and then conformal coat the whole thing when you are done soldering. I have had (and know others that have had) their car run great for a few days/weeks/whatever and then the symptoms came back due to rapidly deteriorating components. On a 15+ year old ECU, special attention is a MUST.

Very good advice here.