Question

nurkvinny

With the thousands of Ohioans carrying, do any of you ever hear of cases where being allowed to carry stopped or prevented a crime or saved the person's life?

I ask because I am 150% in favor of our right to own and carry, but I never seem to find the stories about crooks getting blown away or home break-in attempts ending in a bad guy getting shot. I believe carrying deters crime and makes people think 2 or 3 times before breaking the law, I would just like to read the stories supporting my beliefs.

Thanks

As far as the gun clubs and organizations go, I feel towards those about like I feel towards religion... I don't need to belong to groups to enjoy something.

But, the vid you posted is exactly what I was asking about.

I guess I am just in a "Hell yeah" state of mind after reading and watching the dead pirates story.

As far as the gun clubs and organizations go, I feel towards those about like I feel towards religion... I don't need to belong to groups to enjoy something.

But, the vid you posted is exactly what I was asking about.

I guess I am just in a "Hell yeah" state of mind after reading and watching the dead pirates story.

I'm not an NRA member either. :lol:

i would shoot, but i hear storys of the victim going to jail and getting sued over it..

fail

1. Know the laws

2. Don't fuck up.

With the thousands of Ohioans carrying, do any of you ever hear of cases where being allowed to carry stopped or prevented a crime or saved the person's life?

I ask because I am 150% in favor of our right to own and carry, but I never seem to find the stories about crooks getting blown away or home break-in attempts ending in a bad guy getting shot. I believe carrying deters crime and makes people think 2 or 3 times before breaking the law, I would just like to read the stories supporting my beliefs.

Thanks

When you think about the typical mindset of today's media, it will be hard pressed to find any good story about the responsible gun owners/carriers stopping crime. Liberal media is quite anti-gun as you saw with the ABC bullshit from a few nights ago. Quite a few firearm magazines (Guns and Ammo, Glock's own magazine etc...) all speak of plenty of stories in which firearms saved lives as Austin has pointed out. There's plenty of un-told stories out there, I don't think we'll ever see it become headline news, for drug related shootings are obviously that much more news worthy.

You cannot use your concealed carry to stop a crime or protect the life of a random person. unless your life is on the line, Or you feel it is. Carrying concealed is not very easy to explain alot of legal aspect to it.

You cannot use your concealed carry to stop a crime or protect the life of a random person. unless your life is on the line, Or you feel it is. Carrying concealed is not very easy to explain alot of legal aspect to it.

Wrong. You can use your weapon to defend another person if they would be justified in using deadly force to defend themselves.

Actually, you can. Though I'd most likely choose the route of minding my own damn business, unless it was a rape or something obvious. If two people are beating the shit out of each other, I'd probably look the other way.

Page 23 of Ohio's current Concealed Carry Law handbook:

-Defense of Others:

A person may defend another only if the protected person who would have had the right to use deadly force in self-defense themselves. Under Ohio law, a person may defend family members, friends or strangers. However, just as if he were protecting himself, a person cannot use any more force than is reasonable and necessary to prevent the harm threatened.

Basically, you can only protect a person if they are deserving of protection.

and like our instructor said, be sure of who you're "protecting". what happens if the guy on the ground with the gun pointed at him actually started with the gun and the victim was able to take control, and now waiting for police. you could walk in, think the original aggressor is in trouble, blast the victim, and now the wrong person is down

i agree though, i'd probably end up minding my own business...if i walked into a gas station and some nutjob came in to rob the place, unless he swung around and pointed the gun at me, id probably just hit the ground and stay there.

http://www.ohioccwforums.org/index.php

There are a lot of stories on that forum. The most recent was a few weeks ago when a robber was shot by a CCW Akron pizza shop owner. He actually posts on the site as well.

I take my classes at the end of the month and since my brother is the deputy that runs the CCW office for Franklin County I'll probably get my permit that day as well.

http://www.ohioccwforums.org/index.php

There are a lot of stories on that forum. The most recent was a few weeks ago when a robber was shot by a CCW Akron pizza shop owner. He actually posts on the site as well.

I take my classes at the end of the month and since my brother is the deputy that runs the CCW office for Franklin County I'll probably get my permit that day as well.

Pickaway county couldn't get me an appt. until June 1st. :mad: Franklin had me in on a Tuesday, and called me on Wednesday to pick mine up. < 24 hours. :cool:

I answer without looking at Austins links, but, it's a very hard question to answer given the many aspects of "prevention". If you're only concerned about preventions done with the actual wielding of the gun, then that number could probably be quantified. However, people OC as well. How would you be able to know if you/someone OCing prevented a crime?

The root issue here shouldn't be whether it does or doesn't serve to prevent crime, it should be whether or not you are prepared for that instance in which shit happens.

:)

Pickaway county couldn't get me an appt. until June 1st. :mad: Franklin had me in on a Tuesday, and called me on Wednesday to pick mine up. < 24 hours. :cool:

Franklin doesn't do a FBI Background check... many of the surrounding counties are very pissed about it.

more

PALM CITY — A 23-year-old man, who reportedly fired a shotgun through the rear door of a Lake Village home Thursday in an apparent attempted home invasion, remains in critical condition at St. Mary’s Medical Center.

Christopher Reber was shot three times by Linda Schultz, who was home alone when the attempted entry was made.

Schultz, 40, who was injured in the attack, was released from St. Mary’s late Friday morning.

According to an incident report filed by Martin County sheriff’s deputies, Schultz said Reber shot out her glass back door, wounding her in the neck. When he came through the door, she fired at him with her .40 caliber handgun, hitting him at least three times. He dropped the shotgun and staggered back out the door.

Schultz grabbed the shotgun, her pistol and a portable telephone and went out the front door calling 9-1-1, according to reports. Reber ran to a two-door, black Ford and drove off with one of the neighbors following him in a second car.

The neighbor called the Sheriff’s Office and provided a description of the car, its direction of travel, and the driver, Reber, reports said. The two vehicles crossed the Palm City Bridge into Stuart, where Reber turned south of Kanner Highway and then east on Indian Street. The witness lost sight of him.

A massive air and ground search failed to locate the car, but it was found in the Sheriff’s Office parking lot. Rhonda Irons, sheriff’s office spokeswoman, said it was driven there by a “family member” who told officers Reber was wounded and in room 337 of the Suburban Extended Stay Hotel on U.S. 1 near downtown Stuart.

In Palm City, Linda Smyth, Lake Village Property Owner Association president and a neighbor, rendered first aid to Schultz. She used a towel as a compress to stop the flow of blood from Schultz’s neck and made her lie down until paramedics arrived. Schultz was airlifted to the trauma center at St. Mary’s.

Stuart paramedics and sheriff’s deputies took Reber out of the hotel room and sent him by helicopter to the Palm Beach County trauma center.

Irons said no charges connected with the attempted home invasion have been filed, and that investigation is continuing. They have not discussed a motivation for the invasion, even though Reber is reported to have worked at Brooklyn Joe’s Pizza on Dixie Highway, for Joe Russo, who lives with Schultz at the home in Lake Village.

Reber is being held at the hospital under a St. Lucie County warrant for forgery and is guarded by sheriff’s deputies.

http://media.tcpalm.com/tcp/content/img/photos/2009/04/16/reber_christopher-8738_t220.JPG