Setting timing - 06 Ecotec

10_penn

Going to be tearing into the motor this week for pistons, headgasket and arp headstuds. Was wondering if anyone could help with setting the timing on a 2006 Saturn ION Redline with the 2.0 Supercharged I4 (LSJ)

Not positive on the 2.0, but if it's like the rest of the ecotecs the chain has a few "colored" links in the timing chain. These should line up with the timing marks. Have fun with that, those engines have a mile of chain and a second for a balance shaft if I remember right.

Guest Removed
Not positive on the 2.0, but if it's like the rest of the ecotecs the chain has a few "colored" links in the timing chain. These should line up with the timing marks. Have fun with that, those engines have a mile of chain and a second for a balance shaft if I remember right.

correct on all counts..hell i have seen dealer techs get them wrong.:)

and if your not so sure of yourself doing something like this, way take the risk? just my 2 cents.

the balance shaft elimination kit sounds appealing...

Guest Removed
well.. i have a blown headgasket that needs replaced. got myself a new cometic hg and some pistons that need installed and it requires removing the cams and timing

if you feel fine on doing pistons, why so scared of the chains?

or you just need the how to do part?

heres some quick pics. this is a long process

crank gear and mark

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y196/gearhead559/Shop%20stuff/ss3.gif

intake cam

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y196/gearhead559/Shop%20stuff/ss.gif

exhaust cam

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y196/gearhead559/Shop%20stuff/ss2.gif

balance shaft is the same way.chain has colored link and so on. and dont install the chain backwards.

if you feel fine on doing pistons, why so scared of the chains?

or you just need the how to do part?

heres some quick pics. this is a long process

crank gear and mark

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y196/gearhead559/Shop%20stuff/ss3.gif

intake cam

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y196/gearhead559/Shop%20stuff/ss.gif

exhaust cam

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y196/gearhead559/Shop%20stuff/ss2.gif

balance shaft is the same way.chain has colored link and so on. and dont install the chain backwards.

Very helpful. thank you. if i am not mistaken, there should be marks on the block by the crank pulley noting where #1 TDC is, right? are there similar marks by the cam gears?

Let me guess.

Number 4 piston.

nope... blown headgasket

Guest Removed
Very helpful. thank you. if i am not mistaken, there should be marks on the block by the crank pulley noting where #1 TDC is, right? are there similar marks by the cam gears?

nope... blown headgasket

well if its just the head gasket, why are you putting pistons in it?

and the instructions for the gears and chains are pages long. not sure on marks. been a minute since i messed with one, but there should be

well if its just the head gasket, why are you putting pistons in it?

and the instructions for the gears and chains are pages long. not sure on marks. been a minute since i messed with one, but there should be

stock pistons are hypereutectic and are limited to around 330-350 whp. i was going to replace pistons anyway to reach my goal of 400. I'm using stock compression, but the pistons themselves are much much stronger.

and as long as i'm tearing into the motor that far, i might as well upgrade the pistons

be sure to double check everything. and if the pistons are heavyer, which im sure they are. you better get everything rebalanced

They are forged aluminum, 332 grams each. Not sure how heavy stock is.

Here's a link to them if you want.

http://www.ottperformance.com/Cobalt/Ion-Engine/c2_19/p332/Diamond-Forged-Pistons-2.0L-LSJ/product_info.html

Guest Removed

We recommend that all piston kits be installed by a competent professional.

Small end rod bore should be honed out to .907". Any competent machine shop can do this for you. Stock size is ~.906"

Orders for over bores and higher compression ratio then stock are special order and may take up to 2 weeks.

almost willing to bet they are rather heavy compared to stockers

We recommend that all piston kits be installed by a competent professional.

Small end rod bore should be honed out to .907". Any competent machine shop can do this for you. Stock size is ~.906"

Orders for over bores and higher compression ratio then stock are special order and may take up to 2 weeks.

almost willing to bet they are rather heavy compared to stockers

Idk... probably. I don't remember anyone ever posting what the stock ones weighed. And, yes, I did read that part. However, this is not my first time doing pistons :D Just my first setting timing. (and before you ask, I helped a buddy do pistons when I lived in AZ, but left for work before we put the head/cams/timing back on)

• 5 weeks later...

UPDATE :

Piston install is completed and timing is set. Not nearly as difficult to set timing as I thought it'd be. Now I'm in the break-in period on the rings, and should be tuning for power soon. Thanks to Gearhead for the helpful pictures.

The reason I was so paranoid was because I had a friend with an identical Saturn try to set timing and fucked it up. But all is good with mine.

Guest Removed
UPDATE :

Piston install is completed and timing is set. Not nearly as difficult to set timing as I thought it'd be. Now I'm in the break-in period on the rings, and should be tuning for power soon. Thanks to Gearhead for the helpful pictures.

The reason I was so paranoid was because I had a friend with an identical Saturn try to set timing and fucked it up. But all is good with mine.

thats why i am here man...i just love seeing stuff get done correctly. weather it be the first time, or the third time :D

Congrats on the install, I know what kind of hurdle that is. There are so many wrong ways and only one right, glad you could work through the process.

thats why i am here man...i just love seeing stuff get done correctly. weather it be the first time, or the third time :D

thanks guys.

that friend that i had that fucked his timing up.... well he ended up blowing a fist-sized how through the block. don't know if it was timing related or not - he had the timing chain set 1 link off for 300 miles and then fixed it right and blew her up... idk

that made me paranoid as fuck but so far she's still running good. un-tuned she pulls hard as fuck with a 10.0 a/f ratio... just wait til i get tuned :D