over heating in the 5.0

Ryan218

been battling this for a week now. before it would peg the temp gauge ( no good ) bleed the system and then it shows half on the temp gauge when cruising around. though ok I'm good pulling onto my street it just keeps climbing and climbing. radiator fluid boiling over in the over flow tank. im at a loss. thermostat is not stuck closed or open. checked it and put a new on in. fan clutch seems really lose and im thinking that could be the problem. also my timming light is broke so i cant double check the timming so going to go get a new one and get that checked out. anything else any of you can think to check? water pump has about 3,000 miles on it.

Get the car up to temp and see if the radiator has any cold spots in it, make sure fan is spinning like it should be, block test. An infared thermometer would be a great tool to have here taking measurements at different points in the cooling system. Sounds like I'd be checking for a head gasket honestly.

Get the car up to temp and see if the radiator has any cold spots in it, make sure fan is spinning like it should be, block test. An infared thermometer would be a great tool to have here taking measurements at different points in the cooling system. Sounds like I'd be checking for a head gasket honestly.

it just started doing it 3 days after going out and killing the old tires on it. the temp gauge never climbed above half on the gauge durning them, but yeah thats something rob told me which would suck but at the same time i already have a Cam sitting here for it, guess if it is the head gaskets are the probelm it will just speed up my heads and cam swap.:mad:

ill check them things after i get out of class. thanks. ill post back in with what i find.

the best way to check for a blown head gasket is with a block tester it fits down in the radiator where the cap goes and it has a chemical in it that changes color if the head gasket is blown you can buy one pretty cheap from napa

also check to see if coolant is circulating the impeller could have come undone from the pump shaft its just peened on

Guest Removed
the best way to check for a blown head gasket is with a block tester it fits down in the radiator where the cap goes and it has a chemical in it that changes color if the head gasket is blown you can buy one pretty cheap from napa

also check to see if coolant is circulating the impeller could have come undone from the pump shaft its just peened on

wrong, i have had blown head gaskets that would push exhaust gas into the cooling system enough to make the tester not change colors. best way, leak down tester and a burp funnel on it with it over filled so you can see the air come up thru the funnel.

plus one on the impeller, i have also seen them rust off and so on.

when the car is running you should be able to look down inside the radiator with the cap off and see water flowing out of the tubes....

if the water is not flowing the pump is hoed

it flows out. stops. then level drops and then flows out, stops then does it over and over.