F1 engine vs Nascar Cup engine

CRed05

Hopefully not a repost, but very interresting

http://www.epi-eng.com/piston_engine_technology/comparison_of_cup_to_f1.htm

On the basis of the ratio of BHP to displacement, one might argue that the Formula One engine is vastly superior (315 BHP per liter versus 140 BHP per liter). However, given the design latitude, which allows the Formula One engine to operate well at 20,000 RPM, perhaps there are better criteria by which to compare these engines.

The remainder of this article examines several other criteria to compare the performance of these two engines.

http://www.epi-eng.com/images/Engine/engine_technology_v8_comparison_table.gif

Guest Removed
why doesnt the f1 motor have any torque?

high rpm small displacement...= no torque. and it pushing what a 1800lb car.

the cup motor push's a 4400lb brick

I would prefer to judge those engines a smidge more SCIENTIFICALLY. For instance, how sleepy do I get listening to them.

F1 and I'm perky like 3 espressos and a line of coke.

Nascar and I'm drooling from the mouth, like a mental patient that snorted some Ambien.

Nice article!

The only engine to give me an erection is an F1 engine during the warm up lap. There's all the scientific testing needed.

Never been on the line as 2 Top Fuel dragsters leave the line huh? There's something to be said for around 14k HP Accelerating to 100MPH in less than a second in front of you.

Never been on the line as 2 Top Fuel dragsters leave the line huh? There's something to be said for around 14k HP Accelerating to 100MPH in less than a second in front of you.

It also feels like the ground is shaking and your heart will skip a beat !!!!!!

That is an awesome sound and experience...and so is the roar of 40+ cup cars coming around the track inches apart...They both will make the hair stand up on your arms and neck..TV doesn't do any of them justice...must see live!!!!

That's not erection-inducing.. that's the brown note.

I saw ONE run at Pinks. He did a 4.8@306. I covered my ears and it literally did nothing because the force was ringing my whole body like a bell. I thought my eyes were going ot shake out of my head. I have NO idea how the drivers can keep those things straight. It's literally one long drawn-out explosion.

This sound makes baby jesus happy

I don't think it can really be described as a sound. More like a "Localized Kinetic Event."

We're as sophisticated as the rules allow us to be. A lot of technology that you can't see or will never know about comes from F1. We share a lot of the same suppliers.

I honestly feel bad for the engineers that work on NASCAR teams. I'm sure if they weren't getting paid well, they'd probably look for other forms of racing to develop for. An Article in StockCar Engieering interviewed a NASCAR engineer who said that a significant amount of time, effort, and money in the development process is devoted to making innovations look like they're cobbled together and ineffective so they aren't banned immediately out of hand.

Being a NASCAR engineer must be like trying to play chess with half the pieces and someone standing over your shoulder repeatedly hitting you in the head with a half-dead cat.

"Hmm.. Well, I could take his queen with my knight...."

"NO!" *whack* *MEOW!*

I honestly feel bad for the engineers that work on NASCAR teams. I'm sure if they weren't getting paid well, they'd probably look for other forms of racing to develop for. An Article in StockCar Engieering interviewed a NASCAR engineer who said that a significant amount of time, effort, and money in the development process is devoted to making innovations look like they're cobbled together and ineffective so they aren't banned immediately out of hand.

Being a NASCAR engineer must be like trying to play chess with half the pieces and someone standing over your shoulder repeatedly hitting you in the head with a half-dead cat.

"Hmm.. Well, I could take his queen with my knight...."

"NO!" *whack* *MEOW!*

The funny thing is that NASCAR doesn't know what they are looking at half the time, but anything that looks "odd" will get banned right away. So as long as it looks like it should be there, they won't know the difference. Nothing cobbled, it's just discreet.

They also don't like one manufacture making significantly more hp than another. So what we try to do is all find power at relatively the same rate. If say the Toyota motors make a good amount more horsepower than the rest of the field after a race, they might change a specific rule that will only affect them. They did this in the Nationwide series last year. It really sucks because we're paid to find horsepower and it's like punishing us for doing a good job.

But really other than driving, there's nothing else I'd rather do.

Top Fuel is impressive. F1 is more so. Until I actually hear a Shuttle launch, the F-104 Starfighter is my choice for the most INTENSE noise created by a machine. They did a fly-by under full burner at Dayton last year, and it was just mind-boggling that anything could make a noise like that without God dropping by to complain.