My Friends Z28 Crashed 4/24/09

Harry Bird

OH FUCK! LMAO!! Best edit ever!

110 on a country road at 2am? Darwin award?

No, it's fine. You see, deer are actually a myth, there is no such thing as deer. And every road EVARRRR!!!1!!1!!!!1111!!!! is vigorously maintained throughout the year.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

LoL, the story went from he hit a bump and rolled 5 times in a corn field to he came over a hill at 110, got air born then rolled 5 times. Its close I guess I can see the mis communication there.

Also, if he doesnt care if he kills himself thats fine. Lets just make sure next time theres no chance of involving anyone else. Because based upon these pictures, there WILL be a next time.

Guest tbutera2112
You've never rode in a Jeep with death wobble have you? :eek:

pretty sure they all wobble...jeeps are fun for offroading, but fuck driving one on the highway (wranglers)

Hes knows its not thats just how he is

Give him a shout to say thanks next time your insurance bill arrives. It's dopes like him that cause you to pay through the nose.

Glad he's alive...seems like drunks and idiots always walk away.

You've never rode in a Jeep with death wobble have you? :eek:

I know exactly what you are talking about. I had one in the shop a few years ago. Drove fine and then then just started shaking like a dog shaking the water off. Any idea on what causes it?

Guest Hal
I know exactly what you are talking about. I had one in the shop a few years ago. Drove fine and then then just started shaking like a dog shaking the water off. Any idea on what causes it?

Front stabilizer goes bad.

Most of the time it relates to the trac-bar and or trac-bar mount on a lifted jeep, or fucked up wheels.

Front stabilizer goes bad.

No, and I'll explain in the following.

Most of the time it relates to the trac-bar and or trac-bar mount on a lifted jeep, or fucked up wheels.

Yes, but not the only cause.

Track bar mounts are a big part of it, but usually, its a shitty alignment. Too much toe in or out will cause it.

Worn bushings in the control arms are an issue as well.

Also could be from over/under inflated tires, and/or improperly balanced tires, though usually you only get a shimmy in the front end with those, not death wobble.

Now, the reason a bad stabilizer isn't the problem 99.997% of the time is because the stabilizer is there to soak up the bumps, not to be a major influence on the steering. Now, sometimes if you only have a shimmy in the front when hitting bumps, the new stabilizer will mask that, which makes one think that the stabilizer was bad, but its usually just a band aid for a failure somewhere else.

He told me that he is thankfull to be alive but its not gona change his personality only the way he drives

so what he's saying is that next time it won't be a rolling car to take his life, but perhaps something just as foolish :confused:

glad your friend is okay.

Guest Hal
No, and I'll explain in the following.

Yes, but not the only cause.

Track bar mounts are a big part of it, but usually, its a shitty alignment. Too much toe in or out will cause it.

Worn bushings in the control arms are an issue as well.

Also could be from over/under inflated tires, and/or improperly balanced tires, though usually you only get a shimmy in the front end with those, not death wobble.

Now, the reason a bad stabilizer isn't the problem 99.997% of the time is because the stabilizer is there to soak up the bumps, not to be a major influence on the steering. Now, sometimes if you only have a shimmy in the front when hitting bumps, the new stabilizer will mask that, which makes one think that the stabilizer was bad, but its usually just a band aid for a failure somewhere else.

You're 100% right. I guess all those Jeeps that I replaced the steering stabilizer on came back with the same issue. Wait, none of them did come back. Hmm.

If the steering stabilizer can't dampen the impact from a bump, it will cause the "death wobble". Not only have I replaced this on tons of customer's Jeeps but, I did it on my own. I replaced almost everything else steering/suspension related on mine before I replaced the stabilizer. I still had the issue before I replaced it. Now, over a year later, I have no wobble issues.

You realize the stabilizer only dampens the affects of the road through the steering linkages. Death wobble is not from (usually) from steering components, though obviously and ultimately its going to affect your steering as the whole front axle is rattling itself. Again, the stabilizer will help, and most likely is masking the real problem.

Also, shimmying from hitting a bump, which could be fixed by a stabilizer is drastically different than actual death wobble. Though, shimmying can be bad enough for someone to think its wobble.

Guest Hal
You realize the stabilizer only dampens the affects of the road through the steering linkages. Death wobble is not from (usually) from steering components, though obviously and ultimately its going to affect your steering as the whole front axle is rattling itself. Again, the stabilizer will help, and most likely is masking the real problem.

Also, shimmying from hitting a bump, which could be fixed by a stabilizer is drastically different than actual death wobble. Though, shimmying can be bad enough for someone to think its wobble.

Maybe we're talking about different wobbles. All the ones I felt, I needed to brake hard to shift the weight to the front and bring the car back under control.

Maybe we're talking about different wobbles. All the ones I felt, I needed to brake hard to shift the weight to the front and bring the car back under control.

Possible. I still have a case of the shimmy's in my Jeep, but its lifted 4.5" with 33's. Nothing fixed the death wobble I did have, after the ZJ tie rod upgrade, other than an alignment.

My experience is any time a stabilizer has "fixed" the problem, its only gone on to be exacerbated when lifted with big heavy tires. That usually over power's the new stabilizer, and the death wobble still persists. Then, the real problem has to be tracked down, and so far, 8 of the 11 Jeeps I've worked on, have been alignment. 2 of them were track bar issues, and the last one was worn bushings.

I'm just not a firm believer in the stabilizer being a fixer at all. It's just not an intricate and critical part of the front suspension and steering, it's just there to absorb the bumps and shifts inherent to a solid axle front end.