Ok what is the legal way to transport a hand gun to the range?

SpaceGhost

I have no CCW, I have a range bag with my ammo, empty mags and eye and ear protection and gun inside. Gun has no magazine in it and has a lock through it. Is it Ok to just throw that bag in the trunk and go, or do I need to lock the unloaded locked gun in the locked glove compartment to keep the gun and Ammo away from each other. I ask because the last thing I need is to be pulled over for a front license plate or something gay and go to jail for transporting a firearm illegally....

School Me please I am all ears....

You must have the ammo and firearm in separate areas of the vehicle, where you must exit the vehicle to get either one. Like, firearm in bag in your trunk, ammo in your glovebox. Having a loaded magazine in the vehicle still constitutes a loaded firearm.

You must have the ammo and firearm in separate areas of the vehicle, where you must exit the vehicle to get either one. Like, firearm in bag in your trunk, ammo in your glovebox. Having a loaded magazine in the vehicle still constitutes a loaded firearm.

Good to know. Thanks. Anything else I need to know?

Edited by Benjamin

I normally put the gun in it's case on the floor of the back seat and then everything else in the trunk of the car. Once I get to the range, put the gun case back in the range bag and head in. Also if you are pulled over, let the officer know asap what you have with you. They don't like surprises.

Ohio law states that you can't have a loaded gun in your vehicle unless you have a CCW. Before the "castle doctrine" SB184 was signed in to law. People ran into problems because of the definition of a "loaded" gun in the ORC, Loaded means ammunition readily at hand. The judges interpret loaded differently, some think loaded means in a magazine in the gun. Other seems to think that if the ammo is in the same bag as the gun, it can be considered loaded. So there was really no legal way of transporting a firearm. Hince the confusion above.

Now thanks to SB184, it was signed into law in 9/9/08. It clarifies how an firearm can be carried in a car without a CHL. Link at bottom. I personally transport all my firearms in the trunk, and I just all my magazines and speed loaders free of ammunition in the trunk along with it.

Clear guidance is given for legal transport of firearms by persons without a CHL. The unloaded firearm must be carried in one of the following ways:

Sec 2923.16 ©

(1) In a closed package, box, or case;

(2) In a compartment that can be reached only by leaving the vehicle;

(3) In plain sight and secured in a rack or holder made for the purpose;

(4) In If the firearm is at least twenty-four inches in overall length as measured from the muzzle to the part of the stock furthest from the muzzle and if the barrel is at least eighteen inches in length, either in plain sight with the action open or the weapon stripped, or, if the firearm is of a type on which the action will not stay open or which cannot easily be stripped, in plain sight.

http://www.buckeyefirearms.org/node/5781/

there you go. :) Hope it clears things up.

and I just all my magazines and speed loaders free of ammunition in the trunk along with it.

[/url]

there you go. :) Hope it clears things up.

You missed a word, a kind of important word to understand the sentence....

I read it (link) as a gun in the glove box is not legal since my gun box does not fit in the glovebox? So Now I am confused? Just keep it in my range bag with everything unloaded and unloaded mags?

You missed a word, a kind of important word to understand the sentence....

I read it (link) as a gun in the glove box is not legal since my gun box does not fit in the glovebox? So Now I am confused? Just keep it in my range bag with everything unloaded and unloaded mags?

Clear guidance is given for legal transport of firearms by persons without a CHL. The unloaded firearm must be carried in one of the following ways:

Sec 2923.16 ©

(1) In a closed package, box, or case;

(2) In a compartment that can be reached only by leaving the vehicle;

(3) In plain sight and secured in a rack or holder made for the purpose;

(4) In If the firearm is at least twenty-four inches in overall length as measured from the muzzle to the part of the stock furthest from the muzzle and if the barrel is at least eighteen inches in length, either in plain sight with the action open or the weapon stripped, or, if the firearm is of a type on which the action will not stay open or which cannot easily be stripped, in plain sight.

(1) If you put your unloaded hand gun in a gun box . It can be anywhere in your car. It doesn't have to be in a glove box. You can have ammo with it, just as long as it is not loaded in the magazine or speed loaders.

(2) If you don't have a box, keep the unloaded hand gun in the trunk, where you have to get out of the car to get to it.

(3) Speaks for it self.

(4) Is for long guns only...

Just keep it in my range bag with everything unloaded and unloaded mags?

You will be fine if you do that.

Just leave them all in the trunk and you will no thave a problem.

Keep it loaded, but hold it out the window so it's not 'in' the car.

Fucking stupid. If you don't point it at everyone you see, what's the fucking point?

Next time, please include all necessary info...

Sticking the gun on top of the dash may be considered brandishing, I wouldn't do that outside of Texas.

Is there a "brandishing law" in Ohio? Most states make it very clear that to be accused of brandishing you must be handling the gun in such a manner as to be seen as a threat. Simply seeing a gun on a dash is not grounds for brandishing.

No need to volunteer information that isn't asked for. Only speak up if you have a CCW, or if asked.

This can't be stressed enough. If you're afraid of being pulled over for a license plate, then getting strung up for having a gun in the car as you're going to the range, then you handled that hypothetical situation completely wrong. Never offer anything that isn't asked for.

Take command of the conversation. If he's telling you you have to display the license plate, then goes on to ask if you have any weapons in the car, right there is where you clam up and repeat the following.

Am I being detained? If he answers NO, then say good day and be on your way he has no legal means to hold you any longer. If he says YES, ask under what Reasonable Articulable Suspicion. The LEO must then tell you why he's detaining you, which would be for failure to display license plate. From there, tell him that you will deal with questions regarding only that problem. After all, he didn't pull you over because he thinks you have a weapon, he's just phishing for something to bust you on. If he keeps pushing the weapons question, keep repeating those lines. And NEVER agree to a "volunteer vehicle search" because "if you have nothing to hide then why won't you let them search?". If he continuously pushes the subject, request that his supervisor be present before you continue with the traffic stop.

Sounds a little annoying to do, especially since most everyone just wants the traffic stop to be done and over with. But, I'm a firm believer in not being a push over sheep when dealing with LEO, they stop you for a certain reason and have no need to know about anything else.

Now, if you do indeed have a clause where you must inform a LEO you are carrying a weapon, then do so. But I think I've only ever seen that apply to CCW's. Not someone just transporting a weapon to the range and back who doesn't have a CCW.

I think that would be fucking sweet to have a gunrack on a trans am. You wouldn't even really need a gun on it, just the rack alone and a can of chew would display much badassness.

Meh gun racks are for trucks.

Is there a "brandishing law" in Ohio? Most states make it very clear that to be accused of brandishing you must be handling the gun in such a manner as to be seen as a threat. Simply seeing a gun on a dash is not grounds for brandishing.

Open carry is also legal in Ohio, but you won't catch me doing it without a lawyer on retainer and on speed dial. Again, WAY easier to simply toss everything in the trunk and be done.

So long as you aren't doing anything stupid, like leaving a loaded gun within reach, you shouldn't have anything to worry about. I've transported guns in various ways without caring at all, but I have a range bag so I put everything in there. I just sometimes forget to unload them.

Or you can get a CCW and not have anything to worry about. I can toss my loaded gun anywhere I want to so long as its not in plain sight, and I'm legal.