Computer Guru's Chime in please...HP Printer Issue with XP

TTQ B4U

Wife upgraded her PC at the office and now has some printer issues.

She's moved to a dual processor Dell with XP Pro. Now she's having a Decoding Error with her old but very good quality and trusty HP Deskjet 3100 All in One unit that she users as the printer in her office.

It prints test page just fine and works with Acrobat 9, the full pro version of that software, but it gives her a "Decoding Error" on it's LCD and prints streaks and all kinds of junk Characters from the now upgraded MS Office 2007 vs Office 2000 she was using. Sometimes the first page prints okay, then the rest are junk. The same error and results come up when printing from some of her Legal Software that has not been upgraded or changed too.

I am not sure if it's a driver issue. We had it running on her previous XP Machine just fine. I went to download XP drivers from HP and they just tell me that it's available on a CD for $10. I don't remember if I even installed anything other than the original CD stuff on her PC last time. I am 99% sure I didn't order anything.

Here's where I'm looking on HP's site:

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareIndex.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&prodNameId=12013&prodTypeId=18972&prodSeriesId=24352&swLang=8&taskId=135&swEnvOID=228

What are your thoughts?

Tim, have her check the font that she is printing. Office 2007 changed the font to Calibri from times new roman and ive noticed that older printers have issues printing to this.

have her change the font to times new roman or what ever else and see what happens. ive had to do this at my work a few times when users were printing envelopes and it was coming out garbled.

Do you also recall what driver you used when installing the printer?

Tim, have her check the font that she is printing. Office 2007 changed the font to Calibri from times new roman and ive noticed that older printers have issues printing to this.

have her change the font to times new roman or what ever else and see what happens. ive had to do this at my work a few times when users were printing envelopes and it was coming out garbled.

Do you also recall what driver you used when installing the printer?

Thanks man. I'll check that as I kinda remember her stating something about the font coming up. Hmmmm.....

I did find on driverguide.com the XP download. I'll send you a PM regarding drivers....

I noticed a lot of complaints of printing problems out on the net associated with adobe 9. It seems it can cause all sorts of problems. In most cases it stops printing completely except for test pages. As far as I can tell removing and reinstalling version 8 has fixed everyone. Its been a few weeks since I worked on that problem so I don't know if its been resolved or not and I'm running version 9 without problems to my old HP photosmart.