To mod or not to mod???

Solo Vette

Hey guys I am just looking for some input. I have a '04 Vette, just an A4 coupe, and I am having a tough time deciding what to do with it. Yeah I know it is 5 years old, but only 30k on it. I came across a friend with a set of heads from a Z06, and thought about buying them. Just not sure if I want to deviate from stock. I have a Mustang if I feel the need to go beat on something. My thoughts are just exhaust, however knowing me I would never stop there. Just curious for your input. Oh and anybody have a stock exhaust for a C5 Z06, I would be interested.

lightly mod it. catback/intake/tune to start. then longtubes and a mild cam if that's not enough for you. i drive my GTO every other day, and enjoy keeping it close to stock. i enjoy going out with my cobra to trounce on other cars on the street, but still have a car that is fast (GTO) that my wife will still ride in, and drive if i drink too much when we go out. once you get past a certain point with a car, it becomes unreliable, and not fun for carefree driving.

I was trying to be funny but the answer is pretty obvious here. The car you have is not particularly collectible and has too many miles for any true collectible value. Mod it to be fun now - not as an investment. These cars can be fairly heavily modded without being unbearable on the road.

lightly mod it. catback/intake/tune to start. then longtubes and a mild cam if that's not enough for you. i drive my GTO every other day, and enjoy keeping it close to stock. i enjoy going out with my cobra to trounce on other cars on the street, but still have a car that is fast (GTO) that my wife will still ride in, and drive if i drink too much when we go out. once you get past a certain point with a car, it becomes unreliable, and not fun for carefree driving.

I agree completely. Leave one alone so you can drive anywhere without worries and go as deep as your pockets allow with the other.

Ok I think this summed it up. Now I knew I was going to get it for even questioning whether or not to do so. Yes I know it has no collectible value, however once I start down the path I do not stop, and I hate to have 2 unbearable drivers. Do not get me wrong I know they can still be bearable with the right work, parts, tuning etc. Throwing a grand into the Mustang and getting more power out of it beats throwing a grand into the active handling system after a weekend of autox.

Thanks for the advice Kirk.

i have stock c5z manifolds in the garage.

sounds like you want a fun street car. call brandon at the number sam posted and get your self a cold air intake. veraram is the best out there so thats what i would recomend. if you decide on a cat back watch out for systems that drone alot on the freeways, it will drive you nuts. if you do swap heads then with the c5z manifolds and cold air intake you really should have the car tuned, its not a must have with those few mods but it will gain you some more power over the mods alone.

Ok I think this summed it up. Now I knew I was going to get it for even questioning whether or not to do so. Yes I know it has no collectible value, however once I start down the path I do not stop, and I hate to have 2 unbearable drivers. Do not get me wrong I know they can still be bearable with the right work, parts, tuning etc. Throwing a grand into the Mustang and getting more power out of it beats throwing a grand into the active handling system after a weekend of autox.

Thanks for the advice Kirk.

no problem. its easy to go too far with a car. some days i'd love to throw a nasty cam and longtubes on my GTO--i have the means to do so tomorrow, if i wanted. but i enjoy being able to start the car and immediately drive it every time. no stalling issues, no question as to whether i'll have an electrical issue, or if the car is going to run hot that day, or whether myself or passengers will get a headache riding in the car on a long trip. the suspension is not too harsh, not too loud, etc.

the GTO is the only hot rod i have that my wife will ride in, let alone drive if we're out and i just don't want to drive home. sometimes 400 hp is enough.

my car laid down 375rwhp which is plenty for a daily driver that is as reliable as when it rolled off the factory line

Hey guys I am just looking for some input. I have a '04 Vette, just an A4 coupe, and I am having a tough time deciding what to do with it. Yeah I know it is 5 years old, but only 30k on it. I came across a friend with a set of heads from a Z06, and thought about buying them. Just not sure if I want to deviate from stock. I have a Mustang if I feel the need to go beat on something. My thoughts are just exhaust, however knowing me I would never stop there. Just curious for your input. Oh and anybody have a stock exhaust for a C5 Z06, I would be interested.

PM Sent

Listen the only number you need is 614-444-5884. Talk to Brandon. IPS has the vette market on lock and they can do anything you wanna do. They will help you achieve and goals you wanna achieve along with tuning it to what it needs.

Ask them about there 9 second TT package :)

Ask them about there 9 second TT package :)

Yes I think I will ask about the TT package, just as soon as I punch Donald Trump in the face and steal his money.

Thanks for all the advice guys.

Then again the car is paid for so I could borrow on it??? No that was the dumbest thing I have ever said....well close to it.

Rob, I use the car to hold the floor in my garage down. Damn concrete is always floating away. I do not drive it much. I will use it for a couple SCCA fun events. I bought the intake, but cannot seem to find any Z06 factory exhaust, which was the route I was going.

The vararam Cold air intake, 160 thermostat, tune :) Start there and find 20-30 more wheel horsepower. Then long tubes are a good option, I have all the pieces in stock if you would like to come by and check out the items you have interest in buying!

Have fun, and good luck

-Brandon

Rob, I use the car to hold the floor in my garage down. Damn concrete is always floating away. I do not drive it much. I will use it for a couple SCCA fun events. I bought the intake, but cannot seem to find any Z06 factory exhaust, which was the route I was going.

in that case i would use your money to help pay for more fun events. there is no point sinking money into a car if it's just going to sit, use it for what it was meant to be used for and take it to road course. you don't need a bunch of mods to have a blast. if you decide you like it then you will want to spend your money on things like tires and brakes.