Leaving for NYC tonight..need suggestions!

Flybye

Yup...just a little random weekend trip. I guess we feel like getting the swine or something?lol Anyways i've never really got the chance to explore the city and was only in Harlem once for a fundraiser type deal.

So for all of you who have been and stayed, what do you think are some must see's for the weekend? We are only gonna be there all day friday, saturday and till early evening sunday. We are also driving but will probably leave the car in the parking garage all weekend. I also wanna know some good night spots and would like to see some live blues one night. Its always been a dream of mine to see live blues in downtown NYC :cool: Our hotel is on East 62nd St and we already have some general ideas. Just looking for any first hand experience or suggestions you may have?

thanks,

Sean

I liked SoHo/TriBeCa area...stayed at Hotel Gansevoort one weekend for a bachelor party...got kicked out of a Yankees game, great clubs in the evenings.

It's 'spensive. I mean, REALLY 'spensive. Be prepared to walk, or take a taxi everywhere. Some cheap food joints, but unless you want to see everything from a streetview for free you're going to pay to play. I would check out the Midtown/Battery Park/World Trade area, but from E. 62nd you'll have to take the subway...

I liked SoHo/TriBeCa area...stayed at Hotel Gansevoort one weekend for a bachelor party...got kicked out of a Yankees game, great clubs in the evenings.

It's 'spensive. I mean, REALLY 'spensive. Be prepared to walk, or take a taxi everywhere. Some cheap food joints, but unless you want to see everything from a streetview for free you're going to pay to play. I would check out the Midtown/Battery Park/World Trade area, but from E. 62nd you'll have to take the subway...

no clue where those 2 places are? but yeah we plan to walk/taxi pretty much everywhere.

If you got the cash, get you some Peter Lugers. Check out the park, and don't drink while you're there unless you're a millionaire. Oh yeah get you some pastrami sandwiches.

mmmmm i love pastrami :D and wtf are peter lugers?lol

Yeah, don't try to drive anywhere at all. Parking garages are such a ripoff in NYC.

we wont....our hotel offers a good price on parking for a 24 hour period. you just cant leave and come back in without having to pay again.

I want to come

check out grand central station some crazy people in there ha

yes...i have always wanted to go there and just take pics and stare at all the crazies

Johns Pizza..

yumm..

Get you some Dean and DeLuca bakery yummys..

The MoMa (Guggenheim Museum of Modern Art), The Met has some Amazing things to see..

I HIGHLY reccomend a visit to the Statue of Liberty and Ellis Island. (the audio tours are amazing)

Also another fun way to see some stuff is to see if any of the Scavenger hunts are going on.

(We did this with some friends who live in NYC.. I think it was this company) http://www.cityhunt.org/ultimateurbanadventures/ny/?c=6&project=7

If you have toe $$$ Rosa Mexicana is REALLY pricey but probablay some of the BEST food i have ever had, and its a beautiful restaurant. (Gotham Bar and Grille was pretty swank as well)

Im sure you can get a current Zagats Guide at the library..

Empire State building was cool and WELL worth the Expidited tickets to the top floor.

If you have NEVER been to NYC, let me warn you of a few things.

IGNORE ALL BEGGERS, seriously, they live at the ATM's.

DONT JAYWALK.. Follow the crowds when they go.

You canNOT walk into places and just use the restroom..

Free Refills are nada as well in NYC and even in some places, all you get is a can of whatever.

The Subway is your friend if you have an iphone or something that has apps, get one of the subway apps. They are well worth it, also buy a metro card for the weekend.. again worth the money.

Wear good walking shoes. Drink lots of water.

Johns Pizza..

yumm..

Get you some Dean and DeLuca bakery yummys..

The MoMa (Guggenheim Museum of Modern Art), The Met has some Amazing things to see..

I HIGHLY reccomend a visit to the Statue of Liberty and Ellis Island. (the audio tours are amazing)

Also another fun way to see some stuff is to see if any of the Scavenger hunts are going on.

(We did this with some friends who live in NYC.. I think it was this company) http://www.cityhunt.org/ultimateurbanadventures/ny/?c=6&project=7

If you have toe $$$ Rosa Mexicana is REALLY pricey but probablay some of the BEST food i have ever had, and its a beautiful restaurant. (Gotham Bar and Grille was pretty swank as well)

Im sure you can get a current Zagats Guide at the library..

Empire State building was cool and WELL worth the Expidited tickets to the top floor.

If you have NEVER been to NYC, let me warn you of a few things.

IGNORE ALL BEGGERS, seriously, they live at the ATM's.

DONT JAYWALK.. Follow the crowds when they go.

You canNOT walk into places and just use the restroom..

Free Refills are nada as well in NYC and even in some places, all you get is a can of whatever.

The Subway is your friend if you have an iphone or something that has apps, get one of the subway apps. They are well worth it, also buy a metro card for the weekend.. again worth the money.

Wear good walking shoes. Drink lots of water.

great info...thanks alot! i will definitely be going to the Statue of Liberty and Ellis Island. I also plan on going out for a nice dinner probably saturday night so i will look into that Rosa Mexicana. And i dont have an Iphone but do have its competition (the G1) which has Android operating system. i remember seeing a few subway apps on there. i will be using a few other apps for navigation and what not too!

thanks for the good input....:D

make sure you stop by nathan's and have a hotdog

oh for sure!

Check out a store in manhatten called evolution. It's awesome.

http://theevolutionstore.com/

Its about a 5 minute walk from Little Italy.

120 Spring St

New York, NY 10012

(212) 343-1114

thanks Zach...that place looks sweet

i cant remember the name of the pizza place we just ate at, but it was alright. so far we didnt do much today. just checked in, relaxed, got ready. then we walked through central park and to pretty much no destination lol and took a cab back. we are just chillin now but thinking about heading to times square in a few! hopefully we will find something to do for the night around there?

i cant remember the name of the pizza place we just ate at, but it was alright. so far we didnt do much today. just checked in, relaxed, got ready. then we walked through central park and to pretty much no destination lol and took a cab back. we are just chillin now but thinking about heading to times square in a few! hopefully we will find something to do for the night around there?

if your on vacation why the hell are you on a computer?

if your on vacation why the hell are you on a computer?

im on my phone......i only get on to check this thread really. and other info about the city when my girl is in the shower or getting ready lol