98 Neon missing and sounds like its backfiring through the TB

Browning

1998 Neon 2.0 129k

Doesn't do it all the time and just started yesterday.

Seems to do it when the transmission kicks down, or you're going up a hill or something and it's on a strain. It'll start jerking(missing?) for a couple seconds and sometimes makes a sound like it's backfiring through the TB. Just one pop then lines itself out and it's fine again.

It's my girlfriends car. I haven't drove it yet but she says she can feel it in the pedal when it "pops." Not sure how long it's been since it's had a tune up or anything.

So you don't know exactly what the car is doing, and you don't know if it's backfiring through the throttle body or not.. I see this going somewhere fast. :rolleyes:

If it hasn't had a tune-up anytime in this era, check the plugs, wires, maybe the AFM or TB if they're dirty, air filter.. etc. You can at least check that yourself and report back... hell, maybe even drive it and give us a better description of the problem.

So you don't know exactly what the car is doing, and you don't know if it's backfiring through the throttle body or not.. I see this going somewhere fast. :rolleyes:

If it hasn't had a tune-up anytime in this era, check the plugs, wires, maybe the AFM or TB if they're dirty, air filter.. etc. You can at least check that yourself and report back... hell, maybe even drive it and give us a better description of the problem.

http://smiliesftw.com/x/hsugh2.gif

I plan to drive it tonight. I posted this now to see if any one had any thing to check just based off of what I typed.

it's def. popping through the TB. Let off the gas and it stops, give it more fuel and it keeps popping. Wires look weathered, no white stuff around the coils. Kinda weird that it just started out of the blue like that.

Guest Removed
it's def. popping through the TB. Let off the gas and it stops, give it more fuel and it keeps popping. Wires look weathered, no white stuff around the coils. Kinda weird that it just started out of the blue like that.

pull the plug boots out of the valve cover and see if they are soaked in oil. coil could still be cross firing. you be having crank cam sensor issue's but lets start with the basic's first.

Guest Removed
Jumped timing belt? One tooth off, maybe? Timing is contolled by sensor on cam, so pop cover and line up timing marks.

when those jump time, they bend valves and dont run at all.

Jumped timing belt? One tooth off, maybe? Timing is contolled by sensor on cam, so pop cover and line up timing marks.

this is what I was worried about.

Is it safe to assume the timing belt is fine gearhead?

edit-was told these neons are bad for the threads coming out with the spark plug? Any tips to avoid this if true?

Edited by Browning

Guest Removed
this is what I was worried about.

Is it safe to assume the timing belt is fine gearhead?

edit-was told these neons are bad for the threads coming out with the spark plug? Any tips to avoid this if true?

it would be a good idea ot check, but if its off, the valves could very well be bent causing the back fire.

i havent ever had issue with spark plugs tho

ok, great. I'm going to change plugs and wires today and see where that puts it. What's better, changing plugs while it's cold or warm? I've always done it cold but guy at advance said warm is best.

Guest Removed
warm..not real hot, but warm..its easyer for the aluminum to be expanded from the plugs when removing them. but if it feels like they dont want to move, then dont force them. thats when they start pulling threads and so on. oh and dont over tighten them