Columbus maybe to add speed enforcement to red light Cameras?

SpaceGhost

Posted this in the other thread, but it needs viewed more.

http://www.nbc4i.com/cmh/news/local/article/red-light_cameras_could_soon_have_new_function/13660/

Published: March 10, 2009

COLUMBUS, Ohio – Columbus is considering adding a new function to its red-light cameras.

The program would function as a speed-enforcement camera as well, catching speeding drivers so they could be ticketed through the mail.

Currently, the fine is $95 if you are caught running a red light in the city of Columbus.

Columbus has 20 red-light cameras throughout the city.

Last year, the city generated nearly $900,000 in fines.

Now Coleman’s economic advisory committee suggested adding more cameras to boost the budget.

The committee also believed adding speed detection to the cameras would generate $2.1 million a year.

The final suggestion the committee had was adding speed-detection devices specifically around school zones where the speed limit is reduced, producing $1.8 million a year.

There would be no up-front costs to the city for the cameras, a private contractor would install and maintain them for a cut of the revenue generated by the fines.

NBC 4’s Ana Jackson spoke to Columbus residents Monday night.

Some loved the idea of the increased safety the cameras would bring to both the Downtown streets and in the school zones.

Others have the opinion the cameras violate rights to privacy. That issue is being debated in the courts now.

The president of council said it would be up to the Public Safety Department to decide if and when it will implement the committee’s suggestions.

For additional information, stay with NBC 4 and refresh nbc4i.com—Where Accuracy Matters.

To submit a story idea or news tip, e-mail stories@nbc4i.com .

Wow.

Cut back Cops and install more cameras.

Bitchin budget.

:thumbup:

KillJoy

Seriously what is this world coming to. Im just going to get one of those license plate filters that only can be seen through from directly behind. That'll show um!

Red Light cameras do a great job of stopping people from running red lights. But they also do a GREAT job of causing more rear-end collisions. :mad:

As for the speed functions, are they going to ticket everyone that goes 1mph over?

Red Light cameras do a great job of stopping people from running red lights. But they also do a GREAT job of causing more rear-end collisions. :mad:

As for the speed functions, are they going to ticket everyone that goes 1mph over?

Phoenix, AZ ones start taking portraits of cars at 11MPH over the limit on the freeways.

Seriously what is this world coming to. Im just going to get one of those license plate filters that only can be seen through from directly behind. That'll show um!

those don't work.

they have had issues in MD with the where kids were taking pictures of lisence plates printing them out and putting them on cars and speeding through the traps to generate the tickets. IIRC they pulled the cameras until they could find a better system.

Mythbusters did 2 different shows on these devices that say they block pictures and they all failed. The only option that couldn't take a picture is when they used a jet car that passed the camera at 200+ mph. In this case it didn't even snap a picture it was like the car didn't pass the device.

I don't like the idea of red light cameras. Speed cameras is a worse idea. Don't do it columbus :(

the red light camera already records your speed... they dont ticket you for it though. thank god lol.

O'rly

Is it on the pictures or something ? Since a contractor needs to be added that tells me there is a missing functinality to make it work. I could be wrong but if it already supported that it would not need more coding.

Fuck it I will put covers on .

Goddamn retarded. I love living in the land of the free....as long as you wear your seatbelt, listen to what the signs tell you to do, pay the government to breath, don't smoke anything that hasn't been taxed, only own weapons that people you don't know or have never met say are ok, blah blah blah.

Laws only exsist because someone can make some money off of it.

Almost every redlight camera in Toledo has a speed camera attached. They don't get you for anything under 11mph over.

Within a month up there I knew where every single one was on my drives. So its quite easy to know where to slow down.

Or you could just always.................go the speed limit?

There would be no up-front costs to the city for the cameras, a private contractor would install and maintain them for a cut of the revenue generated by the fines.

No. If a private contractor gets a cut of the fines, I will PERSONALLY fuck up every one I can find. Nothing but an open invitation to corruption and tampering.

No. If a private contractor gets a cut of the fines, I will PERSONALLY fuck up every one I can find. Nothing but an open invitation to corruption and tampering.

Someone is destroying cameras out in AZ. People get pissed, they catch them somehow. I guess there is a camera watching the camera?

Too late, a private company already runs all of the camera and takes a cut. That's how it's done in nearly every city that uses traffic enforcement cameras. So the city didn't get all of that $900,000. In fact, if I remember correctly, the lion's share goes to the private company and the city only gets a small fraction; something in the 25% or less range.

I guess I don't see the problem. Don't run red lights, don't speed through intersections, and you won't have to worry about anything. In my 8 years of driving, I can honestly say I have never ran a red light. Guess what? That means you can do it too. :)