Listen to vid please.

nurkvinny

Here is a video of a Z06 I am looking at. During the first 30 or so seconds, there is a ticking sound. I am on a shitty laptop with horrible speakers.

Is it "piston slap"?

Is it injectors?

Is it something else???

Opinions please

Guest Removed

piston slap on a cold lsx engine is normal...there is a tsb on it infact.

but to hard to tell what it is threw the net... i'd like to hear it with the stethoscope.

Guest Removed

heres one tsb

File In Section: 06 - Engine/Propulsion System

Bulletin No.: 02-06-01-038

Date: December, 2002

TECHNICAL

Subject:

Engine Knock or Lifter Noise (Replace 0-Ring)

Models:

2001-2002 Chevrolet Camaro

2001-2003 Chevrolet Corvette

2001-2002 Pontiac Firebird

2002-2003 Cadillac Escalade, Escalade EXT

2000-2003 Chevrolet Suburban, Tahoe

2001-2003 Chevrolet Silverado

2002-2003 Chevrolet Avalanche

2000-2003 GMC Yukon, Yukon XL

2001-2003 GMC Sierra

with 4.8L, 5.3L, 5.7L or 6.0L V8 Engine (VINs V, T, Z, G, S, N, U - RPOs LR4, LM7, L59, LS1, LS6, LQ9, LQ4)

Condition

Some customers may comment on an engine tick noise. The distinguishing characteristic of this condition is that it likely will have been present since new, and is typically noticed within the first 161-322 km (100-200 mi). The noise may often be diagnosed as a collapsed lifter. Additionally, the noise may be present at cold start and appear to diminish and then return as the engine warms to operating temperature. This noise is different from other noises that may begin to occur at 3219-4828 km (2000-3000 mi).

Cause

The 0-ring seal between the oil pump screen and the oil pump may be cut, causing aeration of the oil.

Correction

Inspect the 0-ring seal and replace as necessary. Use the applicable part number listed below. Refer to the Engine Mechanical sub-section of the appropriate Service Manual.

i cant find the other tsb on the piston slap..tho i did see the one about the rings.

now it could be a exhaust leak, but to hard to tell

Piston slap always comes up when discussing an LS engine, but I wouldn't put a bent pushrod out of question. These are notorious for getting bent from over reving, the lifters also tick but weren't much of an issue in later years. I'm leaning towards bent pushrods, but who the hell can really tell over the net.

He's already offered to drive it the 350ish miles here, so I don't think it's anything too drastic. I just wish my PC was up and running so I could listen to it on my 5.1 speakers. :)

And Rob, I know about the TSB's, that's why I was asking. :)

just a FYI mine made that noise too, lifters fix the problem as did the balancer (i had a bent crank pulley, pretty common on vettes and make a noise like that) i recommend the GM Racing lifters (also known as the CTS-V lifters) i have them and also starkmaster has them and both cars are running great. PM me if you decide to get them and i'll get you hooked up.