Mortgage refi

Johny Utah

We got 4.62% fixed 30 years with Chase for our new house. That's conventional w/ 20% down, so you'd need to have 20% equity to do it.

You should probably just shop around, call some banks and take a look at current rates online. You may be a bit screwed if you don't have 20% equity in the place though.

call the bank that you currently are financing through and ask them if they have any refinancing deals... I know that Indymac just sent me something where there is no closing costs to refinance through them (my mortgage is currently through them)

Don't do a refi, do a "loan modification". You don't have to go through the BS of closing costs, another home inspection, etc.

I just did one and dropped to 30yr fixed at 4.25% and didn't cost me a dime.

Did they check anything? I just refi'd in January to 4.75% but because I'm not working now I wonder if they'd check anything or just do it? Another .5% would be sweet.

I'm w/ BofA by the way, my refi costs in january were approx. $1700. But it was definitely worth it to go from 6.625% to 4.75% as it saves me $150/month.

Don't do a refi, do a "loan modification". You don't have to go through the BS of closing costs, another home inspection, etc.

Who did you go through?

Just checked with my lender. I have to be behind on payments in order for them to do a loan modification. I guess I can only refi then.

I had never missed a payment, I just called and asked for a mod because my income level had changed due to a wage decrease.

All they did was run my credit, send out a notary, and I signed some papers. My mortgage is through Homecomings Financial/GMAC.

I had never missed a payment, I just called and asked for a mod because my income level had changed due to a wage decrease.

All they did was run my credit, send out a notary, and I signed some papers. My mortgage is through Homecomings Financial/GMAC.

Lucky bastard, well on the loan thing.

You can get any rate you want....but you gotta pay for it. She probably bought the rate down via points, which is sometimes worth it but varies on each situation. I could've gotten 4.5% with a point, but the up front cost would have taken 4 years to recoup, and since I don't plan be here that long, I didn't do it.

Just an FYI.