Meet new baby Beco

TTQ B4U

Today was a perfect day to take the kids to the zoo for a few hours.

Now that all the hype is fading, the wait to see baby Beco wasn't nearly that long.

For those that haven't seen the latest baby at the Cbus Zoo, meet Beco, the baby male Elephant born in Late March. His name was derived from the combination of his parents names Phoebe and Coco. :cool:

Photog Nuts:

Canon EOS 40D ,Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM

1/320s f/4.5 at 100.0mm iso 3200 Equiv. (ISO 1600 at -1EV for better highlight control)

http://www.pbase.com/timothylauro/image/112648184/original.jpg

Edited by TTQ B4U

went to the clippers game last week and there were like 10 elephants in the lot next to the parking lol. I am guessing it was for the circus that was in town. That was the closest i think i have ever come i was maybe 20 feet from them. Great pics I just got a nikon D40 today cant wait to go out and take pics with it.

Very low noise for ISO 1600. Did you run them through noise ninja or something?

Keep in mind, it's ISO 1600 pushed one stop too :D

My recipe is:

1. Always shoot RAW
  2. 0-1 in camera sharpening. No more than that.
  3. Process with DPP but the NR there is only Luma.
  4. Process Luma Noise with Nik Dfine. Best NR out there IMO. I have NN but really, Nik is much better.

Seriously...you can pull down 8x10's and larger at ISO 12,800 when processed properly. May 1-1.5 stops of DR Loss, but still, extremely awesome. That's why I like the 40D. It's already 1 stop better than my 1DMKII and even the new 50D in terms of DR. Here's a sample lit by only our Plasma TV 12' away from her: http://www.pbase.com/timothylauro/image/103857099

Here's a full size jpeg qty 8 at 12,800 pushed. Detail is there. http://www.pbase.com/timothylauro/image/104242756

Looks like he needs his coffee

He looks like it's been a rough few months for him. He's off an exploring on his own which is cool, but he made a mad dash for mom across the inside pen when he realized she was off and a ways away. Little sucker can run Fast!

Edited by TTQ B4U

Those are very nicely done and completely usable pics. When you say ISO 12800 how is that achieved on the 40D? ISO 3200 and some exp comp added? I've been seeing those numbers thrown around a lot lately and I tend to stay below ISO 800 unless I really need to go higher. Now the astro photos on the other hand are always at ISO 1600, but I use a totally different method of removing noise from those extremely long exposures.

Ah I see where the pic says ISO 3200 pushed 2 stops.

Those are very nicely done and completely usable pics. When you say ISO 12800 how is that achieved on the 40D? ISO 3200 and some exp comp added? I've been seeing those numbers thrown around a lot lately and I tend to stay below ISO 800 unless I really need to go higher. Now the astro photos on the other hand are always at ISO 1600, but I use a totally different method of removing noise from those extremely long exposures.

Thanks for the compliments. Yes, just use manual exposure when going that high. 3200 isn't real just 1600 pushed. You're better off doing it yourself to gain the extra 1 stop in highlights. ISO 1600 at -1EV and pushed RAW is 3200 but better. The above example, I was lazy and pushed in camera 3200....but then I had no highlights to lose, so it didn't matter. In a bar shooting a band.....different story.

ISO 1600 pushed -2EV is 6400 and is perfectly fine. I shoot there without hesitation.

Switch to manual mode for 12,800 and 25,600. Play around with it sometime. I'll have to dig up some of the ones where I dragged the shutter in a church at ISO 25,600. Simply heavenly ;) Worst case you can get some great B&W / Tonal shots or infrareds from them while you practice.