Trans Issue

Guest Hal

I don't know transmissions so let's see what you guys think.

All of a sudden today, I am having trouble getting the Cobra into reverse. All other gears are good but, I am having a lot of trouble getting the shifter to the right far enough to go up into reverse.

I have my own ideas of what I think it is but I'm curious what you think.

I don't know transmissions so let's see what you guys think.

All of a sudden today, I am having trouble getting the Cobra into reverse. All other gears are good but, I am having a lot of trouble getting the shifter to the right far enough to go up into reverse.

I have my own ideas of what I think it is but I'm curious what you think.

Driver error. Definitley driver error. In all seriousness I don't know. When I "fixed" my TKO in my fox body it wouldn't go in reverse at first. Then all of the sudden it went in and for the next year that I had it, it worked fine. Sorry that I wasn't any help. Want to put a dollar on it?

I'd put a dollar on it being the issue I think it is, or some variation of it. I actually have a couple dollars today.

Well sir, what do you think? I believe that there is a reverse solenoid of some kind and that could be it, but I'm no expert on this.

Well sir, what do you think? I believe that there is a reverse solenoid of some kind and that could be it, but I'm no expert on this.

Reverse lockout solenoid itself or something with the circuit. That's the only thing I can figure like this.

I kinda want it to be something bad so I can get going on the 4r70w swap.

Reverse lockout solenoid itself or something with the circuit. That's the only thing I can figure like this.

I kinda want it to be something bad so I can get going on the 4r70w swap.

Pussy :) That is my guess, as far as the issue.

i know reverse shift rods are bad about the pin shearing off...maybe you is starting to. or the have the noid issue.

Is that a general issue with the T-56?

Guest Removed
That was going to be my guess. However I know very little about the inside of the T56

i cant use alldata on this pc, but i will get pics up of its gut tomorrow if i remember. but the forks have a small roll pin going thru them, that like to shear, and i dont see the fork for it bending, but i could see the reverse gear itself being a issue just do to the fact it has this wierd looking idler gear hanging out by itself, which is rather weak too. im still loking for this noid hal speaks of :confused:

Guest Removed
The noid from what I remember should be down and to the left of the shifter. I haven't had a chance to look at it yet.

i see the reverse light switch????

Guest Removed

just got off the phone with my trans guy. if this is one of the ones that you have to put in reverse to pull the key out(reverse lockout) then that could be the issue.

but if not, then its one of those deals where you have to pull it and see whats going on inside to know for sure.

if its a reverse lock out issue,which i didnt see anything about in alldata, but i looked up 03 and 04. ill go check again in a bit.

rob, the reverse lock out on a t56 keeps you from shifting into reverse when you go for 5th gear.

IIRC that solenoid is only energized when the clutch in pushed in so its not always on. i.e. i can put my car in reverse with the car off or running under 1 or 2 mph. other than that i'm locked out.

Guest Removed
rob, the reverse lock out on a t56 keeps you from shifting into reverse when you go for 5th gear.

IIRC that solenoid is only energized when the clutch in pushed in so its not always on. i.e. i can put my car in reverse with the car off or running under 1 or 2 mph. other than that i'm locked out.

and im stating what i was just told. it didnt sound right to me either :p

Is that a general issue with the T-56?

the stock T-56 shift forks, shift fork pads, and syncro keys are weak and tend to wear out or break under high horsepower applications, I've been through my T-56 several times, I broke stock shift forks and bent one, all the stock syncro keys and shift fork pads had to be replaced because they were cracked or broken under hard shifting, as for the solenoid I haven't had an issue with that, if its the same I have a spare one laying around

Guest Removed
It's popping the fuse for the noid. I didn't really spend any time on it after that, too fuckin' hot today. I guess I get to play find the short.

maybe the noid is shorted, and stuck...poping the fuse