Purchasing airline tickets?

HotCarl

Does anyone have any recommendations? Unfortunatly my grandpa passed and his funeral is scheduled for this coming fri and sat in Florida. My brother got a pretty good rate for 150$ round trip into Orlando (even though Melbourne airport is the closest its more expensive). So far Im going to check cheaptickets.com, travelocity.com, expedia.com, any other suggestions from people who fly often?

Does anyone have any recommendations? Unfortunatly my grandpa passed and his funeral is scheduled for this coming fri and sat in Florida. My brother got a pretty good rate for 150$ round trip into Orlando (even though Melbourne airport is the closest its more expensive). So far Im going to check cheaptickets.com, travelocity.com, expedia.com, any other suggestions from people who fly often?

I bought my ticket to orlando from southwest.com.

Kayak.com is the only site I use now. It searches everything for you... :nod:

Ill try that out. Im searching cheaptickets.com and i found the flight I want but want a different return flight (i dont want to leave at 8am sunday morning) but want to get onto the same flight as my brother's at 1050 thur morning.

The airline has the best rate, go to Kayak and find the flight you want and book it on the airline.

The only way you save booking online is multi-airline itins.

Are you going CMH - MCO? What dates of travel? Have you looked at AirTran?

You should call the airline directly after finding the flight you want to take and as for a Bereavement Fare - anytime a primary family member passes away, you should qualify for a significantly reduced fare.

You usually have to provide the name of the deceased, your relationship to them, and the contact info for the funeral home. It may come out to be the cheapest option (not always but most likely)

The airline has the best rate, go to Kayak and find the flight you want and book it on the airline.

The only way you save booking online is multi-airline itins.

Are you going CMH - MCO? What dates of travel? Have you looked at AirTran?

I was waiting for you to chime in. Yes CMH - MCO, leaving anytime thursday the 28th a prefer to come back afternoon or nighttime on sunday the 31st. Airtran is giving the lowest rate at 179 but their flight back is at 8am on sunday. The actual funeral is an hour and a half away from Orlando so I would have to leave for the airport at 5am which im NOT looking forward to. I would rather leave midnight sunday night than 8am. Think AirTran offers bereavement discounts?

Bereavement fares went away years ago, too many people claiming bereavement.

Looks like if you are flexible you can get a $192 ticket DAY - MCO on United. Departs on thursday at either 6am or 1030am and returns on sunday at 520pm. You will be driving from dayton late, but that's how it goes when you have to book this close to travel dates. Seems like everything going to CMH that sunday is pricey. Dayton isn't a bad airport to operate out of.

They are all within a few dollars of each other. I just flew home last week, so I know. Only advice I can give you is to buy the ticket asap, the prices seem to go up every day before the flight departure date. I waited an extra day and the ticket cost an extra $50. I literally checked 10+ sites and they were all within a few dollars for the exact same flight. CMH was pretty easy to check into and go through security, but my home airport at BWI it took like 45 minutes to get through and it was 8:00pm on a Sunday.

They are all within a few dollars of each other. I just flew home last week, so I know. Only advice I can give you is to buy the ticket asap, the prices seem to go up every day before the flight departure date. I waited an extra day and the ticket cost an extra $50. I literally checked 10+ sites and they were all within a few dollars for the exact same flight. CMH was pretty easy to check into and go through security, but my home airport at BWI it took like 45 minutes to get through and it was 8:00pm on a Sunday.

I fly around 200,000 miles per year. Not all airlines are within a few dollars of each other. The ITIN that the OP wants is $192 on United and over $600 on Delta. Doing the right search, in the right way, can save. Alternate airports can help as well, especially in the case where you don't want the departure times available. CMH - BWI isn't as poplular a route as CMH - MCO because competition on that route is greater than to BWI. Yes, most of the search engines will be the same for the same flight, but we are branching out to locate different flights.

(Meagan posting):

Airtran is a little more pricey but, they offer the direct flight...so no airport appreciation, aka layover.

Delta is always nice to fly but, they have very few direct flights now. Most flights layover in Atlanta or Cincinnati.

Southwest offers a good price and fewer b/s fees as far as bags, booking, ect. They also do not have assigned seats unless you pay to upgrade your seat. Say you’re taller and want an emergency exit row for the extra leg room. When I still was a flight attendant people would fight over the emergency exit row.

My younger brother has been working for NASA for the last year and lives in Cocoa Beach, FL. He comes home every few weeks and drives from Cocoa Beach which Melbourne Airport is not far from to Orlando to fly home. He said that it is about a 45 minute drive and all highways so it's not bad at all. BTW he normally flies Airtran.

(Meagan posting):

Airtran is a little more pricey but, they offer the direct flight...so no airport appreciation, aka layover.

Delta is always nice to fly but, they have very few direct flights now. Most flights layover in Atlanta or Cincinnati.

Southwest offers a good price and fewer b/s fees as far as bags, booking, ect. They also do not have assigned seats unless you pay to upgrade your seat. Say you’re taller and want an emergency exit row for the extra leg room. When I still was a flight attendant people would fight over the emergency exit row.

My younger brother has been working for NASA for the last year and lives in Cocoa Beach, FL. He comes home every few weeks and drives from Cocoa Beach which Melbourne Airport is not far from to Orlando to fly home. He said that it is about a 45 minute drive and all highways so it's not bad at all. BTW he normally flies Airtran.

Thats the area we're going, Cocoa Beach/Melbourne area. I think the hotel is the Radisson on the indianatlantic if I remember correctly. Its always been easier to fly into Melbourne but ALWAYS alot more expensive. I ended up going with airtran for the thur-sun flights.

As for the extra leg room, Im the shortest of all my brothers at 6ft (they're both 6'2" and 6'

3") I could've the exit row seat next to them for $20 but im kinda stingy. Plus this particular flight is empty. Other than our family there's maybe 8 other people on the airplane and no one in Business/first class. The way I understand it I'll have to pay for my baggage seperately with Airtran? I did save alot of money so even if they nickle and dime me I think I'll still come out on top. Thanks for all the advice.

I am going to Thailand next Sunday and split my ITIN out to SFO to decrease the cost. CMH is just so limited sometimes. From CMH - HKT (Phuket), the ticket was over $8000. I booked a $400 flight to SFO, and a $1400 flight SFO - HKT. You just need to know the station pairs with the least expensive routes.

I also play the mileage and status games, United is running a Double EQM promotion right now, so I get double miles on my SFO - ICN (Seoul) flight. I live this stuff all the time. Let me know if you need anything else.

I am going to Thailand next Sunday and split my ITIN out to SFO to decrease the cost. CMH is just so limited sometimes. From CMH - HKT (Phuket), the ticket was over $8000. I booked a $400 flight to SFO, and a $1400 flight SFO - HKT. You just need to know the station pairs with the least expensive routes.

I also play the mileage and status games, United is running a Double EQM promotion right now, so I get double miles on my SFO - ICN (Seoul) flight. I live this stuff all the time. Let me know if you need anything else.

Holy Hell an 8,000$ plane ticket?! sure you didnt mean an 800$ ticket by chance? I would've flown into/out of Dayton if it was cheaper but I got on the same flight my brothers are on and tehy bought their tickets last week. Turns out im on the same flight back as my sister so i just settled I guess. So what exactly can you buy with frequent flier miles?