For the LS1 guys considering a SLP 85 MM

DTM Brian

2000 LS1 Firebird

Stock LS1 intake and tb

True Dual Exhaust

SLP 85 mm maf

This car was in a serious need of a tune due the SLP maf. Installing one of these mafs on a car with a factory pcm leans leans them out aproximately 20% You can see on the first pull how lean the Air/Fuel is. This is with a commanded 11.70 A/F in the tune. I did a short pull to show the customer how installing one of these mafs is a bad with tuning. We made the necessary changes to the mass air transfer function to get both the fuel trims and WOT A/F's in line. Commaned A/F is now at 13.0 and you can see the A/Fs are pretty close to our target. If you are wanting to run a SLP 85 mm maf. Please get in contact with me and I will get you a "canned tune" that should keep your a/f's safe.

http://75.180.27.125:50001/Dyno%20Graphs%20and%20Pictures./Dyno%20Graphs/John%20Fisher%20Before%20and%20After.jpg

Good to know.

And I still don't know why I can never see your graphs. Where are you hosting them? I need to make sure Firefox isn't blocking that site for some dumb reason.

Sorry.

From Home. Would you like me to e-mail you a copy?

Try clicking on the graph and get the picture properties and open it up in a new window.

The resistor modification is a joke, if you want a 85mm MAF just get a 01-04 LS6 MAF.

I can't believe SLP is allowed to market that BS.

Thanks for info Bill. I agree it is a bunch of BS. I am just trying to make people aware. Last thing we want is any of us tuners tuning a car and then switching to an SLP meter without changing the tune.

What was the point of upgrading the maf already? I don't really see any notable mods,are they just that restrictive from the factory? What does a tuned but all stock part ls1 put down?

Thanks for info Bill. I agree it is a bunch of BS. I am just trying to make people aware. Last thing we want is any of us tuners tuning a car and then switching to an SLP meter without changing the tune.

Yeah, my car was WAY off to but we tuned for the 85mm MAF so it's good now. When people ask me about them I tell them to use the stock MAF unless they plan on tuning for it.

Lots of maf hating around here. I guess I have a different opinion coming from the ford world. I will say that all of my tuning starts by turning off the maf and doing a speed density tune. Once fuel trims are where they need to be. I turn the maf back on and get the fuel trims in line once again.

Basically you are getting speed density tune and a maf tune. I will say you can do a speed density tune without a maf tune. However you can not do a maf tune and not and skip a speed density tune especially when using a camshaft other then the stock one.

:)

in the lsx world sd tunes have slightly better throttle response which is what i need the most.

Agreed 100% that a speed density tune is needed. This is why I turn off the maf and do a speed density tune and then turn the maf back on. :)

SD tune in Ohio? If we ever had consistent weather, sure SD all the way imop. Boosted set-up's SD tune (because of MAf pegging), NA set-up Maf. Everyone has their preference.

SD tune in Ohio? If we ever had consistent weather, sure SD all the way imop. Boosted set-up's SD tune (because of MAf pegging), NA set-up Maf. Everyone has their preference.

Mini AFC's and Maf translators work well when pegging the maf. They scale the frequency down based on airflow which keeps the maf from pegging.

03/04 Cobras do not make 700+ hp using a stock maf. Big HP requires either a bigger maf or some sort of electronic piggy back to extend the tuning range of a smaller maf. ;)

in the lsx world sd tunes have slightly better throttle response which is what i need the most.

That is because some tuners don't know how to dial everything in together.

Brian is correct, you have to have a decent SD tune before you cal the MAF table, they work together to give you consistant results.

If MAF sensors were not important than I don't think GM would have spents 10s of millions of $$$ to design cars/trucks to use them.

I'm going out on a limb here but I think GM is smarter than all of us put together when it comes to the PCM tuning.

After taking 2 tuning classes I learned why the MAF is more important than you might think...

yes but when your racing and the MAF decides to go south on you and run your fuel trims at -25% then thats bad for my engine. which is what mine did when i was at nelson ledges last year. i wouldn't be surprised if that was a playing factor in my ring issue that started not long after that.

That is because some tuners don't know how to dial everything in together.

Brian is correct, you have to have a decent SD tune before you cal the MAF table, they work together to give you consistant results.

If MAF sensors were not important than I don't think GM would have spents 10s of millions of $$$ to design cars/trucks to use them.

I'm going out on a limb here but I think GM is smarter than all of us put together when it comes to the PCM tuning.

After taking 2 tuning classes I learned why the MAF is more important than you might think...

+1, you hit the nail on the head there Bill.