I need a badass bathroom fan

Bam

So I've been through two fans in our bathroom, first was the $100 one from lowe's, but didn't move enough air, so I upgraded to the best one they had, it was close to $200, but it still isn't doing trick.

My wife must take stupid hot shower (even tho she says she doesn't) and the ceiling/walls get soaked in condensation and now I have cracked/bubbled paint on the ceiling and what looks like runs in the paint on the walls.

Where do you guys shop, I've checked Home Depot/Lowe's, but like I said, I already have the big boy, dunno what else to do.

Check the vent tube for blockage. I noticed the one in our powder room off the kitchen didn't vent well (ask me how I know :o) Chipotle...cough......

Anyway, I pulled it down, snaked the tubing and found a dead bird dried up at the end of it. Not sure how long she's been in there as I screened off the end outside years ago, but there was enough dust and debris in there that it now vents like a mofo and can clear even the biggest burrito I can toss out there :D

So I've been through two fans in our bathroom, first was the $100 one from lowe's, but didn't move enough air, so I upgraded to the best one they had, it was close to $200, but it still isn't doing trick.

My wife must take stupid hot shower (even tho she says she doesn't) and the ceiling/walls get soaked in condensation and now I have cracked/bubbled paint on the ceiling and what looks like runs in the paint on the walls.

Where do you guys shop, I've checked Home Depot/Lowe's, but like I said, I already have the big boy, dunno what else to do.

Well I bought a bathroom specific paint that is supposed to be waterproof or whatever, but when there is clearly water sitting on the ceiling/walls, it's bound to be bad for the paint/walls.

I should mention she takes like 30 minute showers too....

I did check the venting about 3 months ago when I put the new ceiling fan in, and it was fine, it only has about 5 feet to go straight outside. It's just bugging me and pisses me off.

Guest tbutera2112
i leave the door open when i shower, with the fan on....do you have a clear shower door or something? just leave the door open....i mean, if the door is clear and you have other people there besides you and her, i could understand wanting to close it...

just tell her to leave the bathroom door cracked lol.

or in all seriousness, check to make sure there's enough clearance at the bottom of the door when it's closed to pull air into the bathroom.

when we installed 6 panel doors replacing the stock ones, one thing I had to do is re-cut and plane the bottom of the bathrooms as the guys who installed them left them too long and there was no way to draw in fresh air, so the fans worked, but weren't doing as much since there was limited intake.

We do leave the bathroom door wide open when showering. We have a decorative shower curtain that you can't see through, so we try and let the room vent as well.

I belive it's 4" or 6" piping, I don't remember exactly, it was the little kit thing for venting from lowe's, I installed it a year ago december.

I honestly don't think the fan is working hard enough/right. Both of the fans are near silent and when I put my hand up to the cover I can't really feel anything,but can barely hear them. Now I don't remember how loud they were in the store, but I can't see how they are moving air if I can't feel it or hear it, unless right up on it.

Here ya go!

http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_6970_200354625_200354625

I actually have one of these in the house and it works GREAT for cooling it off, I just open a few windows and turn it on at night and the house gets cooled down to about 65-63* in the summer time. I couldn't imagine how well it would work just in your bathroom. Haha.

Guest tbutera2112
the fan that came in our bathroom when we built the house is loud as shit...ide say yours arent working right...take it back and tell them its defective and have them swap it with another and try again...or it could be an electrical issue, the fan not getting enough power to it because of a bad wire or something

hmm, well i'm sure quality has something to do with noise,not saying yours isn't a quality one,but Im assuming that more expensive ones have a way to keep down noise, but i agree, it doesn't seem to be working righ.

How do I test electricity?

Maybe I'll get another one and try it.

thanks

I usually don't use my ventillation fan when I shower and have no problem with condensation on the mirrors and walls if I just leave my door cracked slightly. It gets really bad when I take my massive shits though, vent has to be on and door wide open.

Guest tbutera2112
I usually don't use my ventillation fan when I shower and have no problem with condensation on the mirrors and walls if I just leave my door cracked slightly. It gets really bad when I take my massive shits though, vent has to be on and door wide open.

your poor family....leaving the door open, asshole

hmm, well i'm sure quality has something to do with noise,not saying yours isn't a quality one,but Im assuming that more expensive ones have a way to keep down noise, but i agree, it doesn't seem to be working righ.

How do I test electricity?

Maybe I'll get another one and try it.

thanks

im not the one with soggy walls :p

and i really dont know about the electricity...pm ND2RACE and i THINK maybe GTPnLS1 or whatever his s/n is....i know scott does/did electricity, and i thought gtpnls1 did also, maybe one of them can point you in the right direction to checking it out

haha, bastard. I know its really pissing me off.

I think it might also have to do with the fact that there is a soffet dividing the shower from the bathroom and so I think all the hot air gets trapped in there, when the vent is in the middle of the actual bathroom and not over the shower.

So I'm thinking of either adding another fan IN the shower, or ripping the soffet out...hmm.

Guest tbutera2112
idk what a soffet is....have her crack the curtain on the side where the water comes out...it shouldnt get wet against that wall anyways unless you have the smallest shower ever

I have one of these as well in my house and love it. It is great to cool the house down in the summer. The only bad thing is the time for mine is broke and doesn't work. One of these days I will get around to replacing the timer so I can just set it to run for so long instead of it being either on or off.