My Hyundai Sonota Review.

thorne

I must say They've came a really long way. I've been driving my dads 07 Sonota V6 sport.

Looks: It's not a bad looking car even though my dad fails at taking care of it.

Ride: It's got a very quite ride pretty smooth. Similar to an camry

Power: I've not beat on this car. But, It has 0 problems taking off from lights. It's got no problems passing or getting up and movin. I may

have out accelerated a Si Civic with a Hondata LP bracket.

Handling: Not bad honestly. It can corner with no issues. On ramps can be taken with ease. Not bad for a family sedan.

BellzWisles: This is something my car is severly lacking :(. 6disk indash mp3 player. Sun Roof . Power doors windows seats. Sub woofer.

Stereo: I put this in here because I care about the sound quality of my music. The stereo in this car is really descent. One of the better stock radios I've herd and I had the upgraded moonsoon in my 2001 Camaro.

Price: /thread

I'm amazed how far they've come.

I drank the Korean Kool-Aid with our Entourage and must say I don't miss the Honda Oddy we had one single bit.

It just came back from some minor warranty work, but all in all, she's been good for us and not only has plenty of power and all the features of our Honda, but it did so for $9,600 less.

Nice review.

I have several 07 and 08 Sonatas on the lot, and I agree. The suspension is a bit on the soft side, but then again it handles better than a Camry, in my opinion. I agree, they have come a long way, well appointed, well priced, overall great family sedan.:D

I drank the Korean Kool-Aid with our Entourage and must say I don't miss the Honda Oddy we had one single bit.

It just came back from some minor warranty work, but all in all, she's been good for us and not only has plenty of power and all the features of our Honda, but it did so for $9,600 less.

Nice review.

Talk to me in a 100/150k

A few years ago Hyundai said "We don't want to be a cheap car company any more, we're moving up market." And they have made serious strides in that direction. The Genesis (both sedan and coupe) have been very well recieved, and their 10/100 warranty has become an asset rather than a liability for them. Hyunadis are good cars now.

You left out the 10 year warranty you get with those.

With how great all their other cars are doing, it REALLY makes me think about how nice a Genesis would be.

I've seen it in person and man it's nice lookin. Atleast koreans do a good job of emulating. It's like a 370z or something.

The big luxury one is extremely nice. I would put it against a BMW any day of the week.

Talk to me in a 100/150k

+1

Nice review and everything, but as far as dependability goes, it's hard to judge a car thats only 2 years old. Who knows they might completely fall apart after 100k. I'm not hating, but I think I'll wait another 5 years before I'd even consider jumping on the Hyundai/Kia bandwagon

Talk to me in a 100/150k

don't have to, just ask here how many college car elantra's are still out there pounding the road with that many miles.

I will if you like send you the receipts from all the shit my GP"s went through, all with less miles than our van.

Talk to me in a 100/150k

I will gladly put up my old Hyundai against a Honda. My Sonata had 205k on it when I sold it three years ago, and the guy is still driving it with only minor repairs. Good maintenance from new can make most cars last.

Do not misunderstand the next statement. Honda=overhyped. Do they make good cars? Hell yes they do. Are they without fault? According to most customers they are perfect.... Then why do Honda dealers have service departments?

Disclaimer: This was not at all Honda bashing, just a statement that alot of cars can be reliable with the right servicing/maintenance.

+1

Nice review and everything, but as far as dependability goes, it's hard to judge a car thats only 2 years old. Who knows they might completely fall apart after 100k. I'm not hating, but I think I'll wait another 5 years before I'd even consider jumping on the Hyundai/Kia bandwagon

Just curious why? 5 more years? The powertrains have more than proven themselves, customer testimony has been good.

You say it is hard to judge a car that is only 2 years old? The manufacturer is more than two years old. If this is the case, it was hard to judge the 93 Camaro,98 Camaro, 97 Corvette, 05 Corvette, 03 Cobra and any other time a model changed. Maybe I am misunderstanding where you are coming from, that is why I said I was just curious?

Do not misunderstand the next statement. Honda=overhyped. Do they make good cars? Hell yes they do. Are they without fault? According to most customers they are perfect.... Then why do Honda dealers have service departments?

Disclaimer: This was not at all Honda bashing, just a statement that alot of cars can be reliable with the right servicing/maintenance.

I can concur as we've had an 03 Oddy and an 03 Accord that while I loved the car, certainly didn't prove to be the Honda I thought I was buying into. It had more rattles and squeaks from day one than my 02 Trailblazer I traded in which was solid as a rock. I ended fixing them myself as the dealer was near zero help.

Talk to me in a 100/150k

I don't think this applies to most people, especially the two people talking about owning a hyundai in this thread.

Most people that own cars do not keep them long enough to put 100k or 150k on them, so that would fall on the next owners. Not saying they are crap, but if you won't own it with those miles anyways, why worry about it?

Out of sight, out of mind.

We bought an 08 nissan quest minivan last year, even though I tried to talk my wife into an entourage or similar kia van for about 10k less, but she didn't like either.

So here we are a year later and we're out of warranty on our new car, its a 2008 and we've driving 37k miles already, sure we haven't had a single issue but I'd like to have the comfort of warranty for the next 60k+ miles we'll drive in the next couple years, it could save me big bucks.

But in about 2 more years we'll be nearing the 100k mark, and be selling the van for something new, and we'll probably have to spend money on repairs on our nissan, whereas a hyundai could have saved us $10k up front and $xx in repairs...

just my .02

edit. oh and i want a new genesis coupe BAD.

From a business standpoint, I give Hyundai a lot of credit for their "Hyundai Assurance" program (take the car back if you lose your income). Haters will be shut down when they realize that GM and Ford came out with their own programs...Hyundai must've done something right.

Now, they have an update that pays YOU $500 a month for six months??? Wow. Thorne, you might actually get paid for telling people how much you like your Sonata! :)

I just personally don't think of Hyundais being reliable cars, it's one of those "I'll believe it when I see it" things. I wonder how many 200k mile Elantras are running around out there on their 3rd engine and 5th transmission. I know of at least one.....

Just curious why? 5 more years? The powertrains have more than proven themselves, customer testimony has been good.

You say it is hard to judge a car that is only 2 years old? The manufacturer is more than two years old. If this is the case, it was hard to judge the 93 Camaro,98 Camaro, 97 Corvette, 05 Corvette, 03 Cobra and any other time a model changed. Maybe I am misunderstanding where you are coming from, that is why I said I was just curious?

Have they really proven themselves? I was under the impression that Hyundai used to build shit cars. From what I've seen and heard I would not trust their reliablity based off their reputation. It appears that their newer models are much higher quality, but only time will tell. In 5 or 10 years if their '08 models haven't fallen apart like their old stuff did, I'll be a believer

Comparing being an advisor at Dennis, and now at John Hinderer, there are serious differences between the two brands. Hyundai makes the difference up in warranty, wheras Honda just build a quality product. I've also been at Toyota, and would still rank Honda above them. My words come from experience, not from brand favoritism.

I just personally don't think of Hyundais being reliable cars, it's one of those "I'll believe it when I see it" things. I wonder how many 200k mile Elantras are running around out there on their 3rd engine and 5th transmission. I know of at least one.....

Have they really proven themselves? I was under the impression that Hyundai used to build shit cars. From what I've seen and heard I would not trust their reliablity based off their reputation. It appears that their newer models are much higher quality, but only time will tell. In 5 or 10 years if their '08 models haven't fallen apart like their old stuff did, I'll be a believer

Well I can see your point, then again not. I have owned many Hyundais, while in school and even after school. In fact if I didn't need room for gear and my dogs I would have a Hyundai now. I guess my point on reliability comes from about 95 on up. My Elantra carried me through alot and had 175k on it when I sold it and it was a 95. Once again personal experience is key. The same reason some people like Ford, and some Chevrolet.

Comparing being an advisor at Dennis, and now at John Hinderer, there are serious differences between the two brands. Hyundai makes the difference up in warranty, wheras Honda just build a quality product. I've also been at Toyota, and would still rank Honda above them. My words come from experience, not from brand favoritism.

I would agree that Honda builds a better car, but I do not think they are as great as the hype. Example my sister's 06 Accord EX V6 coupe has had water leaks. The dealer has been nothing other than total dip$hits about it. From telling her the glass has been replaced, and that is the cause so they will not warranty the problem. Well the glass still has the Honda logo on it, and I know the glass hasn't been replaced. Well possible, but had to have been done by the factory or the dealer prior to her taking delivery of it. I am sure that you have a very objective opinion, and alot of personal experience as a writer. Like I said, I am not bashing Honda at all, just my Honda experience has been less than enjoyable.

Ok I do not want to continue off topic.

End is that Hyundai has come a long way.

From a business standpoint, I give Hyundai a lot of credit for their "Hyundai Assurance" program (take the car back if you lose your income). Haters will be shut down when they realize that GM and Ford came out with their own programs...Hyundai must've done something right.

Now, they have an update that pays YOU $500 a month for six months??? Wow. Thorne, you might actually get paid for telling people how much you like your Sonata! :)

I'm thinking about contacting them. WTH I got Duplicolor to sponsor me.

That whole thing is a bit of a play on words.....

They essentially make you buy the car at x price, and then give you that "extra" split up over 6 months or so. Or, they take it off the price of the car up front. :cool:

I have a 03 Elantra GT 5-door that I DD. It has about 87K on it and we have only had it in one time for any warranty work. It was a rear wheel bearing. But other than maintenance work, it has been a great and very dependable car. I plan on driving it until it dies and I won't have a problem checking out another Hyundai for a DD.