Need help quad age requirements

wnaplay1647545503

Can someone reference me laws requiring kids to be of a certain age to ride certain size quads? I particularly am looking to see what size quads my sons can ride at say wayne or other public places. My son is as tall as I yet 14 years old. I dont think he should ride a 110cc if hes bif enough for a 250cc. But I dont want to get one that he legally cant ride anywhere. Plus I have a 10 year old, so thats the ages I am interested in. Thanks

I went to go buy some last year and I had the guy refuse to sell me the ones I thought my boys fit one because they said by law they have to be on certain sizes. I am going to buy some soon and I want to know what thevdeal is before I buy something they cant ride.

You have to be 16 to ride in most public places, Wayne for sure. The whole age requirement for a certain size quad/motorcycle is bullshit. I got a big speach one time from an Ask employee telling me he would not sell me one for my daughter until she was 12. There really is no laws I'm aware of regarding this shit, just liability legal bullshit for manufacturers to stand behind.

The new ones have a age restriction sticker on them. I read on waynes site that kids under 16 can ride if under adult supervision.

The one I had at 4 years old had an age restriction sticker of 12 on it. By the time I was 12 I was too big:confused:. This was 24 years ago. I'd be very interested in these laws if you can find them. If kids can ride at Wayne with their parents I may have to look into getting my daughter one, it wasn't like that 5 or 6 years ago. My younger cousins all had to wait until they were 16 to go ride with the rest of us, so I guess they changed it recently. However I think most of Wayne is over the head of most young and inexperienced riders.

My boys will mostly ride down in tennessee but just in case, I want them to be able to ride around here. My 14 year old is the same size as me. A 110cc I dont think so. And if thats the rule for ohio we wont be riding here.

Anytime I've been around a park ranger, all they care about is age (because in the past I know you had to be 16 I got kicked out when I was 8 or 9, but that was 20 years ago) and whether or not you're doing something stupid like speeding through the parking lot. I would just buy a suitable quad and tell them it's for your wife or something, it sure won't be any fun if the quad is too small. This is the first year where I havn't been out riding by now, and beleive me they are there to enforce safety not be dickheads, if you aren't acting like deuche bags they'll just wave at you as they go by, if you're in Wayne they'll just look to see your permit displayed.

Guest tbutera2112
call a dealership and ask them to read you the sticker.... i know theres an age vs cc sticker on new quads...i do not believe it is a law though, just a caution sticker

A dealer can not sell a 50cc unless the child is 6 cant sell 90 or above until 12. 250cc and up the rider has to be 16. If you do not mention age you can purchase anything you like. If they no the age and sell the larger machine the can get in trouble.

I know the dealer rules. I am wondering about actually riding laws. Is the sticker an indication of who legally can ride or just a precautionary covering dealers ass'
Just to cover the dealers ass.

Jason, are you dead set on a quad for him?

Josh is right that the dealers won't sell you one based on their age because of the HUGE penalties that they could get...it's just not worth it for them.

However, while the restrictions are somewhat general and likely don't apply to things like when your 14 yr old boy is pretty much full grown, they're not completely without merit. Quads are particularly dangerous because people let the 4 wheels lull them into a sense of security. Flipping a quad over is quite serious.

While it seems like backward logic I think that dirt bikes are more safe than quads in almost all circumstances. While you're more likely to have small falls and bumps and bruises from them you're less likely to have a life threatening injury. This of course is assuming that your boy will ride the bike in a controlled manner just as you would have us assume he would the quad. You don't have to buy him a race bike either, have Josh show you the DRZ lineup.

I have 2 sons 10 and 14. Where we ride in tennesse its rough terrain and hilly with mountainous ranges that fall very far down on one side of the roads. There isnt any building up of speed like needed for a dirtbike. They have go carts and they ride the big quad so they can ride I just want to get them their own finally. They may ride them once a year.