Bar Debit Holding Fees?

Kevin R.

This is why i only like to start tabs at my "home" bar.

I usually never do. I am moving to Chase bank and Key has not authorized my Chase account so I can transfer my money (I know there are other ways I could do it). So, instead of paying an assload of ATM fees, I was just opening tabs until I could get it switch to Chase, as there are no Key banks down here. Needless to say, all this happened first before I could get a chance. Now, I am stuck with no access to the money in my Key account (which is all my money). :mad::mad:

I usually never do. I am moving to Chase bank :

sucky suitation man just call your bank explain tot them the buisness was susped to take x money out but took out x money an they wont refund it.. your bank will refund it as you can claim it as fraud

dont do it. i repeat DO NOT go there...

i work for that bank trust me you do not want to go with this place.

Yeah, my bar charges 20%.

The bar I work at charges 15% gratuity on vacant tabs. Though the situation is shitty I'd say it could be worse, Ive seen situation's like yours in which the police were called the first thing the cops ask is if the offending party (who obviously left the bar) had a bar tab so they can track him down.

If you do decide to speak to the bar, go directly to the manager or owner. If they seem like a prick you should mention filing a complaint with Visa (or mastercard, whichever logo appears on your card). Establishments can only take so many complaints before a credit card company can pull their service. So, if this is a regular occurance at this bar and you complain again for the same situation you could really fuck them over. We almost had this happen at my bar, Visa threatened to pull their service (ie, you wouldnt be able to pay your tab or anything else with a visa card) because one of our bartender's ran up someones tab after he left. That bitch is gone now obviously.

Same happened to me @ the Clubhouse in Dallas. They had some $350 holding fee, when my tab was maybe $85 or so. Pissed me off to a point, but took around 3-4 business days to clear out.

I guess that is the difference here.

The $94.xx was apparently a holding fee on my $16 tab. Then, however, a $140 transaction went through after this holding fee was reversed. This is what Key Bank just told me is fraudulent activity. I'd be absolutely pissed if this made me overdraft.

I guess that is the difference here.

The $94.xx was apparently a holding fee on my $16 tab. Then, however, a $140 transaction went through after this holding fee was reversed. This is what Key Bank just told me is fraudulent activity. I'd be absolutely pissed if this made me overdraft.

I believe they have to have a sign saying that if the tab isn't closed, they'll charge $_____ fee. Now, with a few bars they post a hold to see if the funds are availible supposedly. And if they in fact physically swiped your card on a debit card, you're kinda fucked in that case.

I believe they have to have a sign saying that if the tab isn't closed, they'll charge $_____ fee. Now, with a few bars they post a hold to see if the funds are availible supposedly. And if they in fact physically swiped your card on a debit card, you're kinda fucked in that case.

I don't believe so, because if they are trying to fuck with me they fucked up.

The holding fee of $94 was fine, it got reversed, then $16 was charged. However, with the $94 still being "open" in the system after the $16 was charged and the $94 was reversed, they made yet another transaction for $140. The only reason they were able to do this on a canceled card was because the $94 "holding fee" was open in their system. Fraud.

Also, do bars have a "time table" of some sort of when drinks or whatever is being charged? If all else fails I want a complete run-down of that.

this is why i don't use debit cards,if they did this on a credit card you wouldn't be worrying about overdrafting your account or anything,and its not 'your' money so once you dispute it it doesn't matter how long it takes to get resolved, you aren't out the $140 or whatever. That and whenever i've had a problem with a bad charge on my credit card, i called them and they removed it ASAP, like right there on the phone no biggie.

this is why i don't use debit cards,if they did this on a credit card you wouldn't be worrying about overdrafting your account or anything,and its not 'your' money so once you dispute it it doesn't matter how long it takes to get resolved, you aren't out the $140 or whatever. That and whenever i've had a problem with a bad charge on my credit card, i called them and they removed it ASAP, like right there on the phone no biggie.

I appreciate the financial advice, but I don't like credit cards. I got one and will use it to buy a energy drink or some shit at the gas station every once in awhile and then immediately pay it off; but they scare the shit out of me. :p

But that is a good point. I'll stick to cash though as soon as I get my whole banking situation fixed.

i work for that bank trust me you do not want to go with this place.

It is the only bank in Athens. I was going to go there anyways, but Key was giving away free iPods so I went with them first. Then, Chase offered me $100 to open an account I wanted to anyways, so I jumped on it.

I have heard bad things about them as well, but I have no choice down here unless I want to pay out my ass in ATM fees.

I appreciate the financial advice, but I don't like credit cards. I got one and will use it to buy a energy drink or some shit at the gas station every once in awhile and then immediately pay it off; but they scare the shit out of me. :p

But that is a good point. I'll stick to cash though as soon as I get my whole banking situation fixed.

you shouldnt be scared of credit cards...they'll end up helping you in the long run to show you're a good paying customer. im not saying go open 10 cards this weekend, but start with one, and move up as you feel necessary and comfortable with. ive got 4-5 CCs now, and the ones that i dont get anything from, i pay monthly, and the others ive got some sort of 0% financing for XX months, which means they're free to me

you shouldnt be scared of credit cards...they'll end up helping you in the long run to show you're a good paying customer. im not saying go open 10 cards this weekend, but start with one, and move up as you feel necessary and comfortable with. ive got 4-5 CCs now, and the ones that i dont get anything from, i pay monthly, and the others ive got some sort of 0% financing for XX months, which means they're free to me

I'm not really scared of them I guess...I just don't have a need for it right now more than making some small purchases and paying them off to build credit.

I'm not really scared of them I guess...I just don't have a need for it right now more than making some small purchases and paying them off to build credit.

Keep the card open and get an installment loan, it will do a lot more.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHA.

I worked there for over a year. That place is owned by TOTAL scumbags. Who did you hit?

I have no idea. I barely even remember what he looks like. My buddy said he is a decently built guy with buzzed blondish hair.

Should I even take this up with the bar? Or just straight call the bank? It is obvious the bar fraudulently charged a canceled card....

Talk to the bank and file a fraud claim. Then contact the police and file a police report.