Killing Varmints

hpfiend

3 words:

Texas heart shot.

Please explain... EDIT I googled it- I don't think I have the muzzle energy to break the spinal chord/shatter the hip bones. I may be able to get all the way to the heart from the anus but that would have to be a ground-level shot and I shoot from standing?? No? It looks like I am going to have to try for the ear/eye and if that doesn't work I am getting a crossbow... do you think 180 lbs is enough?

22 or air rifle. Other than using poisons, which I wouldn't prefer. What do you plan on doing with the foxes? I'm suprised they're actually under your house. Why would you care if they are?

They are very cool and fun to watch don't get me wrong.

Edited by hpfiend

Please explain... EDIT I googled it- I don't think I have the muzzle energy to break the spinal chord/shatter the hip bones. I may be able to get all the way to the heart from the anus but that would have to be a ground-level shot and I shoot from standing?? No? It looks like I am going to have to try for the ear/eye and if that doesn't work I am getting a crossbow... do you think 180 lbs is enough?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Texas_heart_shot

Silencers on Air Rifles are still Silencers, and you can be prosecuted for them, unless the legal way of obtaining it was taken.

;)

KillJoy

The 'silencer' he is referring to is a permanent part of the rifle barrel that isn't capable of being removed. Since it can't be used on a firearm it isn't considered a restricted item by the BATF...

... right now. God only knows what they will do tomorrow.

I wasn't being serious about shooting them in the ass. :lol:

My suggestion would be to get some .22shorts to take care of your groundhog problem relatively quietly. And as said before, get animal control to trap the fox and relocate them. You hardly see those things in the wild anymore and I'd hate to have a whole family of them killed when trapping and relocating would work just as well. :(

The 'silencer' he is referring to is a permanent part of the rifle barrel that isn't capable of being removed. Since it can't be used on a firearm it isn't considered a restricted item by the BATF...

... right now. God only knows what they will do tomorrow.

Perhaps for now.

LINKY

KillJoy

.22 with a 2 liter over the barrel.

Funny you should say that- A friend of mine did that and it affects the bullet velocity such that it is no longer one shot kill at 30-40 yards with .22 LR. 22 shorts are that much quieter? Do they have the punch to do it?

The foxes won't bother a child big enough to be wandering around outside unsupervised, and being outside with a smaller child on a regular basis will scare the foxes into moving elsewhere. If you want to encourage them to move along now, borrow a medium-sized or larger dog from a friend for a couple days, and tether him where he can't QUITE get at the burrow, but can annoy the heck out of the foxes.

They are very cool and fun to watch don't get me wrong, but we have an infant which will be playing in the yard in not too long. I will probably call animal control to have them relocated or a park ranger and if that does not work by october they will get a crossbow bolt or I will borrow some heavier firepower from my father.

Well, I'm glad you're going to try to remove them with animal control/ranger or something first. I followed a male fox carrying a rabbit back to it's den which held a female and pups awhile back. The den was located under an old barn near a house. I went and actually spoke to the people about the foxes out of concern. They let them live there. I really don't think you have anything to worry about, however, if it does come down to your only choice being to shoot or poison them, please, please, let me know and I'll drive them out myself, with my dogs if need be. I'll even bring the beer (if you drink) and the hilarity. ;)

Also, they make traps that go over groundhog holes, but I do know shooting them is going to be cheaper.

I called wildlife control about the foxes and they said they have more than enough on their state preserves and it was up to me to hire varmint control to trap and destroy them or do the same myself. As our son is not able to walk yet and never goes outside without one of us holding him I am going to give them some time as they are fun to watch- I have some great video and pictures. My parents have a german shepherd that will probably be over 100 lbs when she is full grown so I think that is how I will deter the foxes from camping under my porch- thanks for the tip. Edited by hpfiend

dump about 5 gallons of gas down the hole and then wait for about 15 minutes and start flipping matches at the hole you won't have anymore trouble

:)

those subsonics are pretty good I plugged a ground hog with one right before I moved out of my house set an apple out in your yard and zero in on it then when mr hog comes out for snack you can put one in it head