Installing an electric turbo... backwards. (LULZ INSIDE)

Aesthetic_Influx

Not one to pass up the opportunity to spread a good laugh amongst the car enthusiast community, I submit this gem for approval: http://www.nissanclub.com/forums/general-nissan-altima-discussion-1993-2001/289347-electric-turbo.html

(Cliff's Notes: Guy with Altima buys electric turbo "kit" and installs it backwards, posts with pictures, asks why it doesn't work, and then proceeds to argue his stance. LOLs happen, word is spread, and voila.)

in this pic its hooked up right...and in this pic it is wrong. I think he is just fucking with people.

Reading through the posts, he changed the original photos to show he installed it correctly after they started calling him out on it. I think he did honestly hook it up wrong.

If that was posted on here, first response post would have been something like "you fucking dumbass, you installed your retarded ass ricer mod backwards, gtfo" there only one guy noticed it was installed wrong on the first page a few posts down...then after him it took a long time for someone else to see it. Good stuff

If that was posted on here, first response post would have been something like "you fucking dumbass, you installed your retarded ass ricer mod backwards, gtfo" there only one guy noticed it was installed wrong on the first page a few posts down...then after him it took a long time for someone else to see it. Good stuff

Kenny would have made a world famous post during said thread.

Just for knowledge sake... What kind of pressure could an electric "turbo" like that put out? I'd have a hard time believing anything over 1-2 psi. Also, how large would an electric turbo need to be to flow enough air for a car's engine? I feel like the turbo on his car would be well matched to my 4hp lawnmower...

Just for knowledge sake... What kind of pressure could an electric "turbo" like that put out? I'd have a hard time believing anything over 1-2 psi. Also, how large would an electric turbo need to be to flow enough air for a car's engine? I feel like the turbo on his car would be well matched to my 4hp lawnmower...

I believe it was sated that the deal flows 60cfm when the car is turned on. It was also noted that the car passes like 20cfm of air at idle through the intake which is why that was the only time it died with the supercharger sucking air out.

I'm not sure theres a direct conversion from cmf to psi though. I'd think there's another variable in there somewhere. I'd say IF you found that variable the rating would be a fraction of 1psi.

Andy

I believe it was sated that the deal flows 60cfm when the car is turned on. It was also noted that the car passes like 20cfm of air at idle through the intake which is why that was the only time it died with the supercharger sucking air out.

I'm not sure theres a direct conversion from cmf to psi though. I'd think there's another variable in there somewhere. I'd say IF you found that variable the rating would be a fraction of 1psi.

Andy

So just doing a little math here. Based on the assumption that air flow is proportional to RPM (semi-true), then if the car idles at 1000rpm, and revs to 7000rpm, the car would flow about 140cfm at the rev limiter. Thats an embarassment that this "turbo" can flow less than half of the necessary air to run the engine at high rpm.

that thing can't put out much of anything, but there is one legit electric super/turbocharger that exists...

http://www.turbomagazine.com/tech/0406tur_knight_turbo_electric_supercharger/index.html

http://www.boosthead.com/faq.php

as you'll note, it requires a few extra car batteries and can only be used for about 10 seconds at a time, which gives you an idea of how much power you really need to make positive intake pressure in an engine.