IPS Vettes invade Norwalk (long read)

Sam1647545489

First of all, I want to make this very well known, this whole weekend would not have happened for me if it wasnt for the guys at IPS Motorsports. I cannot thank them enough for allowing me to do what I did this weekend. Its very rare a shop allows someone else that is not the owner of the car to drive one of their high dollar cars.

Friday: I meet up with the guys at IPS. We load the black zo6 up on the trailer and head out. We arrive at Norwalk at 3pm. Unload the car and setup camp next to Mark and his camper and car. It was test and tune all day friday so Brandon and I felt it wasnt necessary to run the car that day. Mark made a pass and I think it was on just waste gate and it was a 9.7ish range pass in the high 140's mph. We had both cars parked next to each other and all day and evening tons of people came up to check the cars out. Alot of them were amazed by Marks car and the times it was goin. They were in for alot more in the next two days.

Saturday: Wake up at 6:30am to the sound of a uncapped big block firing up. Get up and clean down both cars and detail them. Have some food and tech the car in the True street class along with the D.O.T. class. Mark was in the True street as well as the bracket 2 class. They call first test and tune passes for the d.o.t. class. Brandon and I decided that it would be a good time to see how the track was. I get into the black zo6 and make a pass. Right off the trailer it goes 9.99 on a 9 http://forums.offtopic.com/images/smilies/mamoru2.gif with a 1.42 60 ft. The track is hooking good. Alot of big tire cars laying down some good rubber. So its back to the Rv to let the car cool down and wait for the 10 mile cruise for the true street. They call the true street class alil later for the cruise. There were about 25 cars in the group. Some of the "street" cars were funny. Alot were questionable but whatever, who cares. We go on a 10 miles cruise then they take through the whole track car show where it was stop and go for a good 30 mins or so. Both vettes performed flawless. Never once did we have to turn our cars off due to overheating as alot others did. So now was time to make our 3 back to back runs which really wasnt back to back. It was more like make a pass wait 10 mins then make another. It was hot by this time as it was dead in the afternoon. First pass I get lined up with Mark. It is bracket style racing so crossing the line first didnt matter.

First pass the black vette goes 10.20 with a 1.45 60'. It was awesome watching mark pull hard on me on the big end. http://forums.offtopic.com/images/smilies/eek3.gif Next pass the black vette goes 10.02 with a 1.412 60' and then the final pass, didnt get a good burnout and it ended up goin 10.46 with a 1.48 60'. All these passes were in the 128-134 mph range. So the average was a 10.2 of the 3 passes. I qualify for the 10 sec bracket. They tally up the scores and tell me I got beat and came in 2nd. Winner was a 10.18 average and mine was 10.22 average. So we took 2nd. Mark didnt make any other passes in this class since they said no matter what he did, he wasnt able to win due to not having a full exhaust, (mufflers) http://forums.offtopic.com/images/smilies/greddy.gif. We tried to tell them the turbos were mufflers but they didnt buy it. Mark makes his bracket 2 class pass. He ends up goin 9.19 @ 158 iirc with a 1.41 short time. We were stoked. He was close to the record..

Sunday: Get up early again to the same alarm clock. Motors firing up and people putting heat in them driving them around the pits. Its alil cooler day and the sun is out putting alil heat in the track. We clean the cars up again since it rained a bit satuday night. All morning long was a busy day answering peoples questions about the cars. What was done with them, who built them, are they really street cars with a/c and everything from the factory. http://forums.offtopic.com/images/smilies/cool.gif Marks bracket 2 class goes first on eliminations. He dials in a 9.19. He lines up and loads the trans brake up and launches, hard, 1.39 60', he is on a pass. Goes through the traps, 9.04.... SO CLOSE.....http://forums.offtopic.com/images/smilies/dancingcool.gif He gets back to the Rv and everyone is stoked. Time for the d.o.t eliminations. It is a bracket style racing. All morning long the anouncer was saying that everyone was breaking out on their times. The track was fast. http://forums.offtopic.com/images/smilies/hyper.gif So we dial in a 9.90 on the black vette. Get a good burnout in the car and line up. Bring the converter up to about 2k and take off. Car hits a 1.411 60' and ends up with a 9.96 @ 134. I lost on that pass as the other guy was closer to his time then I was. Still the black vette made its best 60's to date and it is not far off its best pass to date. We park the cars and then the crowds come again in swarms. Tons of people amazed by the cars. We spent the rest of the afternoon talking to people, answering questions trying to explain that these cars could of drove home to cbus from Norwalk if we wanted them to to which everyone of them were http://forums.offtopic.com/images/smilies/eek3.gif and handing out cards to them.

All in all we think it was a good start to the season for the cars. Mark ended up getting a interview about his car which will be on a tv show soon and his car is a feature car in a corvette magazine. The black vette I drove performed like a champ. Never one hick up, miss fire, anything. I had the a/c on during the 10 mile cruise and it drove like it was stock. You cannot beat that kind of performance.

Again, I wanna thank IPS again for allowing me to jockey this car this summer. If you are wondering why I cant get it to go faster then the 9.71 that the owner of the car did is because the car is down about 100rwhp. On the 9.71 pass it was at 16# of boost and making ~760rwhp. This weekend it was at 11# of boost and close to 680-690rwhp. We are goin to turn it back up to 16# and go to another event in another month. The car definetly has a 9.50-9.30 pass in her with a mid-high 1.3 60'. Also I wanna thank Jon Moore (neon jon) for helping in the staging lanes checking the rear tires and getting the pressure where it needed to be and getting me lined up in the good rubber thus getting the car to 60'. Could not have done it alone. This is turning out to be a good summer for racing, learned alot at the track and got to drive a amazing car. Looking forward to the next event. Pics and videos are in process and will be posted as soon as they are available. We got alot of pictures and alot of vids. Stay tuned.

Thanks again IPS.

That pretty much covers what happened.... Not too bad of a weekend. I was going to make one more pass, but the track started seaping water and they switched it to 1/8th mile. The Photographer from the magazine that is doing the feature wanted me to launch the car for more pics, but after talking with him a bit we decided not to so I loaded up and left not long after you guys did.

Was a lot of fun. We ate a lot of junk food. Saw some fast cars and had a good time.

Not really... just dailing the car in. We have only made 1 real attempt at the record. Now that we have the launch figured out we will start chipping away at it.

I would like to beat him with a full sized tire, but it may just take a skinny like he used to get it done.

Awesome thread. Any changes planned before the next event?

I think Mark is gonna try a skinny up front and thats it. Like I said earlier I think we are goin to get the black car back up to 16# of boost, tighten the shit out of the belt and let er eat.