Who knows old Bourbon?

Science Abuse

I've got a 42 year old Bottle of Sam Clay Straight Kentucky Bourbon Whiskey, 100 Proof, still seal with its federal bond sticker (made Fall of 1967). The bottle, label, cap, Bond seal, all in museum-quality condition.

Where can I find out what this is worth?

I don't do whiskey, so it would be wasted on my palate. I'm thiniking it should go to some one who appreciates this sort of thing.... and is willing to pay for it. :)

Much older than mine, yet also empty.

This does supposedly get better with age, right?

I just emailed my buddy who is into this shit. I'll let you know if he tells me anything worthwhile.

Many thanks. If possible, I'd like to know where he would go if he had one.... not so much what he's willing to give me for mine. lol

Much older than mine, yet also empty.

This does supposedly get better with age, right?

get's better with age in the barrel....not the bottle. So it's just a matter of if it's hard to find that individual whiskey anymore and if there's a demand for it.

I don't know the answer to either of those, but I'll check around a bit and see if I come up with something.

I'd like to know where he would go if he had one.... not so much what he's willing to give me for mine. lol

Righto, that's what I figured. He's a guy that doesn't drink a lot or smoke constantly, but always seems to have really really high end cigars, bourbon, and whiskey. I know he's knowledgeable, we'll see...

Righto, that's what I figured. He's a guy that doesn't drink a lot or smoke constantly, but always seems to have really really high end cigars, bourbon, and whiskey. I know he's knowledgeable, we'll see...

Well, hmmm.... take his first offer and double it, that'll be my asking price. lol

Selling as a newb in a collectors market is like learning to swim from sharks. :)

Edited by Science Abuse

in the short checking around I did, the whiskey in the bottle itself is pretty much without worth. However, if you can find someone who really likes the history of Kentucky bourbon then it's likely worth a decent chunk to them as a collectors item. The problem will be finding that person and a way to sell it to them. Probably time to make a trip to the bourbon trail in KY.

From what I read it is still made. A 1.75L bottle that was aged 6 years in the barrel went for 20.00. Since yours is much older but was only aged 8 years in the barrel. I doubt you would get much more unless you found a collector and then they may only want the empty bottle.

Someone said it right on. Aging doesn't mean anything unless it is in the barrel. Even if yours has been in the bottle 100 years, it is still aged 8 years.

If it is still made as FastBlackStang said, then it is worth what you would pay now + a little historical value. :)

I'd take the $100.

yea $100 sounds like a pretty sweet offer. It probably is a damn good bottle of whiskey and is gonna knock someones dick stiff cause its already 100 proof. Does alcohol get stronger with age the more it ferments?

as I said before....not in the bottle. Nothing significant changes once it's bottled.

Eric it sounds like you've got your answer. The bottle is worth more than the whiskey, but a bottle collector might be looking for one unopened and that could give it more worth.

May just take you on that, will have to clear it with the fam first.... or should I stick to the plan of doubling the first offer and haggling down? lol

see below

I'll give ya $10 for it. :D

so either take 100 bucks or doubling 10 and haggling down?:confused: