Street Racing Story on Channel 10 (CBS)

KillJoy

Missed it by a couple minutes. Cliffs?

Columbus police apparantly did a shotty investigation into the crash on I70. police have now set up a means to better investigate. Monica durbin was shown and her dad is meeting with legislators to strengthen penalties for street racing. The story was about the investigation and how prosecutors asked for more evidence but didnt get it. Policies are changed to improve communication and double check investigators.

LINKY

COLUMBUS, Ohio — The Columbus Division of Police is changing the way it investigates fatal car crashed after 10TV News uncovered weaknesses in the investigation of a fatal street-racing crash.

The January 2008 accident killed a man and left an innocent young woman with permanent injuries, 10TV's Glenn McEntyre reported. Now the police department is admitting errors and making changes.

Monica Durban was 20 years old and driving on Interstate 70 near Hilliard-Rome Road when her car was struck head-on by another car driven by George Staton, Jr.

Staton was pronounced dead at the scene. Durban spent six weeks in a coma and suffered brain damage. She has needed extensive physical therapy.

"I feel like I'm trapped inside of this body," Durban told 10TV News.

In court, Staton's wife testified that he was racing Brandon Smith when the crash happened.

Smith was later acquitted on manslaughter and vehicular homicide charges.

10TV News has obtained an internal affairs report that details deficiencies in the police investigation on which the prosecutions case was built.

The Division of Police's legal advisor called the investigation "one of the poorest" he had ever seen.

The internal probe was launched after 10TV News investigated the investigators last July.

"I just think a better job could have been done on our part. I do believe that," Sgt. Shelia Wilson, who oversees the Accident Investigation Unit, told 10TV News last year.

The just-released internal affairs report said both Wilson and her detective failed in their handling of the investigation.

The prosecutor on the case blasted the investigation, listing numerous items she asked for from investigators that were not delivered, including phone records between the race participants and witnesses, and an alleged video of the race itself.

At one point, the prosecutor said investigators simply stopped returning her calls.

"I think the concerns pointed out in this investigation has made the unit more aware, and a little bit stronger," said Lt. Karl Barth.

Barth said the Accident Investigation Unit has made changes, including better training, and three extra layers of oversight on every investigation.

Lee Durban, Monica's father, hopes the changes will make a difference for other crash victims and their families.

"Not one more person should go through what my daughter has gone through," Lee Durban told 10TV News.

Watch 10TV News and refresh 10TV.com for additional information.

KillJoy

Being here 2 weeks now - there are more cops than motorists in north Columbus it seems. I can't imagine someone trying to race on public roadsover here without getting caught. I was cruising through Sawmill and some Ford Fusion (yes a Fusion) tries to light it up next me and no sooner was there a cop blowing up the radar detector with Laser..

more people die from shark attacks then from street racing.

Hell DUI fatalities for the state of Ohio is probably greater than total number of deaths by streetracing in the entire US.

I can understand where the father is coming from wanting to make the laws more but thats because he was personally affected by this. If his daughter was never injured he would care less about streetracing.

This shit is stupid....

They don't do shit when old people drive the wrong way on the free way... but its cool politicians are old... they have old family members.. don't want to do anything to them..

They wont worsen DUI charges either... politicians drink and probably sometimes drive...

but all they are going to do is have more people running from the cops.. more accidents too.

Here is a very novel idea, don't street race and you don't have to worry?

I know you can't stop it but still put youself in that family's shoes. Don't think of how many people don't die or get hurt.

It gets a little old for us who do keep it on the track and keep a positive light on the gearhead types when this stuff like this happens.

I know you can't stop it but still put youself in that family's shoes. Don't think of how many people don't die or get hurt.

It gets a little old for us who do keep it on the track and keep a positive light on the gearhead types when this stuff like this happens.

Or, how about the fact the he was drunk and that gets almost zero coverage? Just saying.

if we only did things that were perfectly safe we wouldn't get anywhere in life.

not as a person, not as a society.

and road racing is 1000 times better then the street unfortunitly it also costs alot more. total costs for 3 days is going to cost me more then $600 and yet it is the only thing that has stopped me from street racing because after experiencing road racing, street racing just isn't as exciting.

Or, how about the fact the he was drunk and that gets almost zero coverage? Just saying.

thats the good ol media trying to turn nothing into something. i mean really who is going to read about another DUI death there are thousands of those stories but a street racing death thats not something that happens everyday so it's exciting.