Diesel options HELP!

OneToEnvy

I have been racking my brain over a truck for almost a week now and i still have nothing to stand on.

Long story short i want to by a truck and I'm pretty sure i want it to be diesel

Dodge + Cummins

Chevy + Allison tranny

Ford + looks the best

Iv always been a car guy not a truck guy

I will be DD the truck and will only haul on occasion but i may need to haul a good size load on a whim so i really feel like i should have the ability to do that, thus why i'm going diesel. Other than that i have no idea.

opinions welcome

Discus

4x4, true 4 door, with a short bed.

lol i am reading your (benner) post in a nother thread about the same thing right now.

Not sure what ur looking to spend but when I still worked at Byers we had a guy come in and buy a 2007 (maybe 2008?) that was still left over. Sticker was around $45,xxx and he got out the door for $27,xxx.

Guest RoundIIRacing

I've only owned 2 diesels in my life,and they were recent.I first had a 2000 f350 dually centurion 4+4,it was really roomy with a good bit of power,it had a afe stage 2 intake,4" mbrp exhaust and a bully dog box on it.That truck pulled pretty well,but it was to wide for me!

I recently bought a Chevrolet 2500h.d.(2004)4+4 completely loaded!I like the interior better than my cadillac escalade!Stock the truck was great!I have since then added a k&n cold air,5" mbrp exhaust,and a juice edge with attitude box,and now its a whole new animal!I pull a 20ft box trailer all over the u.s. to different mx events loaded with 4 quads and 2 bikes,plus gear etc....,on stage 2,it averages 17 m.p.g.!I pulled my stepfathers d4 dozer monday and it pulled amazingly for a 3/4 ton truck,still got 17 m.p.g!If I wanna play a little I can put it on stage 6 "hot code" and It flies for a truck,rollin about 30 m.p.h. and tromp it it'll bellow smoke,roar,and lay rubber for about 20 feet!My friend has a 04 1/2 cummins with similar mods and I can put about 10 trucks between us from a dead stop!When I'm just cruizing I ride with the box on stage 5,getting around 27 to 29 m.p.g.!

I have been around quite a few diesels in my time,and I gotta say that In my opinion Duramax is the way to go!

I'd even be more than willing to let you look at,and even drive mine to form your own opinion!http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t89/shawn_devoll/04duramax002.jpg

Duramax x2

Here's Mine. It's my daily driver, hauler, and race car, all in one vehicle and it averages about 20 mpg.

http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t256/creid325/DSC01612.jpg?t=1245326870

Edited by Diesel Pilot

99-00 F350 SRW CAI/Edge attitude with juice and unlocked "hot" code/4"dp 5"exhaust to stacks ftmfw

That race code is something else ;)

-I'm not real sure what you're really after but, being in the business this would be my list of must have trucks:

99-03- Ford Superduty (F250/F350) w/ 7.3 Powerstroke

01-06- Duramax trucks (GMC/Chevy, I'm partial to the GMC Grille)

98-02- Ram 2500/3500 24V Cummins

03+ - Ram 2500/3500

Either one of these trucks will scream with the simple turbo back, intake and programmer set up. Depending on the vehicle, some programmers/tuning is better. Like most here have said, diesels are extremely efficient vehicles after a few bolt ons.

That race code is something else ;)

-I'm not real sure what you're really after but, being in the business this would be my list of must have trucks:

99-03- Ford Superduty (F250/F350) w/ 7.3 Powerstroke

01-06- Duramax trucks (GMC/Chevy, I'm partial to the GMC Grille)

98-02- Ram 2500/3500 24V Cummins

03+ - Ram 2500/3500

Either one of these trucks will scream with the simple turbo back, intake and programmer set up. Depending on the vehicle, some programmers/tuning is better. Like most here have said, diesels are extremely efficient vehicles after a few bolt ons.

on the 98-00 rams watch out for the "53 block" it was cast in mexico and theres been debate for years about most of them cracking and being a bad cast. Also if you do the 24Valve convert it back to P-pump or at 150-200K you will need a new VP44

05 Dodge HO rams you get the highest hp rating for that bodystyle and also a factory 5" exhaust

99-00 ford 7.3s can make more hp than 01-03s (but the 99s have funky interior)

drove countless duramax and just my personal preference i dont like them..even drove the unicorn of diesel the duramax with a 6spd manual:rolleyes:

on the 98-00 rams watch out for the "53 block" it was cast in mexico and theres been debate for years about most of them cracking and being a bad cast. Also if you do the 24Valve convert it back to P-pump or at 150-200K you will need a new VP44

05 Dodge HO rams you get the highest hp rating for that bodystyle and also a factory 5" exhaust

99-00 ford 7.3s can make more hp than 01-03s (but the 99s have funky interior)

drove countless duramax and just my personal preference i dont like them..even drove the unicorn of diesel the duramax with a 6spd manual:rolleyes:

You bring up a good point about the 03-04 and the 04.5+ Dodge Rams. Be careful when ordering a programmer/tuner for those model years. The 04.5+ is the High Output Cummins, and try to use the 03-04 programmers on them, it'll lock up.

I have a 96 f250 7.3 powerstroke and no complaints from me about it did a 4in turbo back and a napa 6637 filter and am getting right around 22-23 mpg. what ever you do stay away from the 6 leaker ford head gasket and other numerous problems

I have a 96 f250 7.3 powerstroke and no complaints from me about it did a 4in turbo back and a napa 6637 filter and am getting right around 22-23 mpg. what ever you do stay away from the 6 leaker ford head gasket and other numerous problems

International and Ford shouldn't have swept that problem under the rug :nono: I had a customer's turbo basically come apart on him while driving. Needless to say, Ford had a nice bill on their hands for a brand new 6.0.

International and Ford shouldn't have swept that problem under the rug :nono: I had a customer's turbo basically come apart on him while driving. Needless to say, Ford had a nice bill on their hands for a brand new 6.0.

I agree but the should have kept the reliable 7.3 mine has 256k miles and no blowby

Personally I've never owned any deisels, but I love Starkmaster's 05 duramax. I drove it to Penn and back, and really enjoyed the ride, plus it pulled my car really nice too. I have put some miles on a Powerstroke too, and they're nice trucks as well. I'm just a little partial to Chevys anyway.

Personally I've never owned any deisels, but I love Starkmaster's 05 duramax. I drove it to Penn and back, and really enjoyed the ride, plus it pulled my car really nice too. I have put some miles on a Powerstroke too, and they're nice trucks as well. I'm just a little partial to Chevys anyway.

Thanks bud

I got my 05 2500 back in December and I have one complaint, it makes driving my cars suck, lol. Seriously I've driven all three and like everyone says, the Cummins are great but the interiors are cheap. My truck is about as fully loaded as they come and I've driven fully loaded Fords and they seem alot a like with all the bells and whistles but I'm a gm person and I like the looks of the Chevy and I've heard less about issues with the newer ones as well. I really don't have any complains about the truck and can't wait to start modding it.

We have a 2000 f250 with the extended bed and a cap and its great. ours is the 7.3 turbo diesel with a AFE stage 2 intake, edge juice with attitude, PMT diesel 4 inch turbo back exhaust. we also upgraded the shocks to Bilsteins, added air bags to the rear of the truck and did a new rear diff cover. the truck is awesome at driving and since we decided to get a 2wd model we get great fuel millage even when towing. were seeing about 19 MPG towing. we only use the truck in towing and thats it.

Well I got an 03 Duramax Crw cab short bed 4x4 in a the light gold color champaign* i guess is what you would call it. It is FULLY loaded i mean leather DVD in head rests tint. The whole 9 yards grabbed it from a guy in AZ i will post pics soon. I LOVE it. i had no idea a diesel had so much acceleration!

http://image.trucktrend.com/f/9376053/163_news080228_02z+2009_audi_q7_TDI+front_three_quarter_view.jpg

flamer?

mike congrats on the new truck man. i just hope this isant a plot to keep everyonie busy an not pay attention to your sti....( seeing as you havent gave us updates to it.... aka you blew it up again lol j.k)

Well I got an 03 Duramax Crw cab short bed 4x4 in a the light gold color champaign* i guess is what you would call it. It is FULLY loaded i mean leather DVD in head rests tint. The whole 9 yards grabbed it from a guy in AZ i will post pics soon. I LOVE it. i had no idea a diesel had so much acceleration!

Yeah some LB7s had injector issues but I know of plenty that have had no issues what so ever. Now get some tunes on that thing with EFI Live. I have a shit ton saved for your truck when your ready. It makes it a completely different truck.