T-Mobile now has 3G in Columbus

CRed05

For the record, none of the networks currently in america are "true" 3g. 3g is short for "3rg generation", and its currently in japan and a few other countries. What we use, while way faster then the older stuff, is more like a "2.5g". Most people (and it's like this because the providers have advertised it in this way) think that "3g" basically means "broadband". This is not the case. Compared to 2G and 2.5G services, 3G allows simultaneous use of speech and data services and higher data rates (up to 14.4 Mbit/s on the downlink and 5.8 Mbit/s on the uplink with HSPA+). Thus, 3G networks enable network operators to offer users a wider range of more advanced services while achieving greater network capacity through improved spectral efficiency.

Roll-out of 3G networks was delayed in some countries by the enormous costs of additional spectrum licensing fees. (See Telecoms crash.) In many countries, 3G networks do not use the same radio frequencies as 2G, so mobile operators must build entirely new networks and license entirely new frequencies; an exception is the United States (Hooray federal gov't!) where carriers operate 3G service in the same frequencies as other services. The license fees in some European countries were particularly high, bolstered by government auctions of a limited number of licenses and sealed bid auctions, and initial excitement over 3G's potential. Other delays were due to the expenses of upgrading equipment for the new systems.

And if you think you have it, you probably don't. By June 2007 the 200 millionth 3G subscriber had been connected. Out of 3 billion mobile phone subscriptions worldwide this is only 6.7%. In the countries where 3G was launched first - Japan and South Korea - 3G penetration is over 70%. In Europe the leading country is Italy with a third of its subscribers migrated to 3G. Other leading countries by 3G migration include UK, Austria, Australia and Singapore at the 20% migration level. A confusing statistic is counting CDMA 2000 1x RTT (That means you, Verizon and Sprint customers) customers as if they were 3G customers. If using this definition, then the total 3G subscriber base would be 475 million at June 2007 and 15.8% of all subscribers worldwide.

Still several major countries such as Indonesia have not awarded 3G licenses and customers await 3G services. China delayed its decisions on 3G for many years, mainly because of their Government's delay in establishing well defined standards. China announced in May 2008, that the telecoms sector was re-organized and three 3G networks would be allocated so that the largest mobile operator, China Mobile, would retain its GSM customer base. China Unicom would retain its GSM customer base but relinquish its CDMA2000 customer base, and launch 3G on the globally leading WCDMA (UMTS) standard. The CDMA2000 customers of China Unicom would go to China Telecom, which would then launch 3G on the CDMA 1x EV-DO standard. This meant that China would have all three main cellular technology 3G standards in commercial use. Finally in January 2009, Ministry of industry and Information Technology of China has awarded licenses of all three standards, TD-SCDMA to China Mobile, WCDMA to China Unicom and CDMA2000 to China Telecom.

In November 2008, Turkey has auctioned four IMT 2000/UMTS standard 3G licenses with 45, 40, 35 and 25 MHz top frequencies. Turkcell has won the 45MHz band with its €358 million offer followed by Vodafone and Avea leasing the 40 and 35MHz frequencies respectively for 20 years. The 25MHz top frequency license remains to be auctioned.

The first African use of 3G technology was a 3G videocall made in Johannesburg on the Vodacom network in November 2004. The first commercial launch of 3G in Africa was by EMTEL in Mauritius on the W-CDMA standard. In north AfricanMorocco in late March 2006, a 3G service was provided by the new company Wana.

Telus first introduced 3G services in Canada in 2005. Rogers Wireless began implementing 3G HSDPA services in eastern Canada early 2007 in the form of Rogers Vision. Fido Solutions and Rogers Wireless now offer 3G service in most urban centres.

And finally, for us yankees, T-Mobile has recently rolled out a list of over 120 U.S. cities which will be provided with 3G Network coverage in the year 2009.

Though 4G is rolling out for other major providers at this time.

I think we're a ways off from that, bro. Still, miracles may happen.

I think we're a ways off from that, bro. Still, miracles may happen.

Im glad someone posted that. I remember when I first saw the 4G commercials, for sprint none the less, I just laughed. I guess were just making up names now?

3G videocall made in Johannesburg on the Vodacom network in November 2004

I bought my first 3G phone is south africa around that time actually. People dont know how far behind the US is in cell phone tech.

LOL, of course our implementation of any major network upgrade is going to be different because we're so spread out compared to many of the countries that have much better data services.

3 cities are supposed to have "4G" this summer. Yes, neither LTE or Wimax technically meet the official ITU 4G standard (not by quite a bit), but thats what all the carriers are going to call it regardless. It is still a substantial upgrade to the current "3G". I've tested my throughput on countless occasion, and on EVDO Rev A. the fastest I've seen is around 1.2 Mbps. If our "4G" is theoretically around the 12Mbps, I'd be happy about that upgrade and they could call it 88G for all I care.

Can I stop typing "4G" with the "..." now ? :D

LOL, of course our implementation of any major network upgrade is going to be different because we're so spread out compared to many of the countries that have much better data services.

3 cities are supposed to have "4G" this summer. Yes, neither LTE or Wimax technically meet the official ITU 4G standard (not by quite a bit), but thats what all the carriers are going to call it regardless. It is still a substantial upgrade to the current "3G". I've tested my throughput on countless occasion, and on EVDO Rev A. the fastest I've seen is around 1.2 Mbps. If our "4G" is theoretically around the 12Mbps, I'd be happy about that upgrade and they could call it 88G for all I care.

Can I stop typing "4G" with the "..." now ? :D

Yeah man. lol. I guess that I just get carried away sometimes. I used to work at TMO, and spent a lot of time reading about the technology and stuff, and I guess I have a beef with the way the american carriers have misconstrued how good they are compared to other countries.

Really, one of the big reasons we are behind has nothing to do with how spread out we are and everything to do with the fact that unlike a lot of those other countries, we have an awesome infrastructure (read; landlines) that hasn't either been bombed to oblivion in a war or built and then left to rot when we mismanaged our economy. For a long time, there was no need for cell phones, because I could get off at any exit, drive for a couple minutes, and find a phone.

The times, they are a-changin. On a related note, has anyone checked out the verizon "hub" home phone? That thing is effing pimp!