Special Delivery from CMP

RangerTurbo

Upper Carbine is and Inland with a Winchester barrel. And the Garand appears to have new wood. Since I bought Service Grade for them all, I don't plan to make them safe queens. I'll restore the stocks, but they will be shooters for sure!

And, I'm still waiting on one more HRA Garand... it didn't make the truck today for some reason the guy said.

Make sure you check your front sight and the gas cylinder for looseness, HRAs tend to be loose, which affects accuracy quite a bit. It's an easy fix, just look up barrel peening for the how-to. And then go to Turner Saddlery's website and buy a m.1907 sling.

I picked out a 5.7mil HRA in Service Grade last year, it had a SA bolt and some WRA parts. Throat erosion was a touch under 2, muzzle was less than .5! She's an AWESOME shooter, 1.5in groups @100 yards when my eyes let me be that good.

BTW, just for the heck of it, when did you send in the order and get your rec'd and DBU?

Order was received 3/12/2009

Never got a processing to shipping update like they said I would.

Order shipped 6/17/2009

In all honesty, I wasn't expecting these to show for another month. The site said when I ordered expect 60 days,... they soon changed that to 120 days. So it was nice to get them about a month earlier than expected.

Thanks for the heads up on the HRA's... hadn't read about that yet.

Very nice. M1 garand for the win. On a side note, if anyone is going to the North store soon please send me a PM! I've been trying to get up there to get some ammo for 2 months and shit keeps coming up! Oh man, CMP is so tasty. And BLO smells like gunroom...Nice

I've read about Boiled Linseed Oil Vs Tung Oil. But I've concluded I'll stick with BLO. I don't shoot when its raining so no need for the hard protection, and I don't like hard finishes on wood,... it just ends up chipping and flaking and looking like shit.

I think the top Carbine is darker because it is aged linseed treatment. I'm not sure how much that will be messed with when I recondition the stocks?

Oh, and I'm also waiting for the second M1 to arrive (FedEx error). I can't wait to see how the wood on that one looks too.

Granted my M14 was in worse conditions then you'll probably will have any of your rifles in, but I still had the wood stock on mine before we got our synthetics:

http://photos-a.ak.fbcdn.net/photos-ak-snc1/v573/104/93/1333510790/n1333510790_30160256_2503.jpg

My dad had sent over some linseed oil, and it did wonders on our M14 wood stocks.

If anything it may darken up the wood just a hair, but it'll keep them from dry rotting and cracking on you. Gotta remember those rifles (my M14 build date was 63' from TRW) are older than dirt depending on serial #'s. Could be anywhere from early 40's on up to the 60's. The top M1 carbine should stay the same color, maybe a turn out a little darker.

The carbines are all 6,3XX,XXX serial numbers. And I think the HRA Garands were all supposed to be Korean War and later production. Sooo, relatively fairly new.

Scott. I haven't researched it really, but whats the difference and/or evolution of the M1 Garand to the M14/M1A. As well, whats the difference between the M14 and M1A? Military Vs Civilian model like the M16/AR15? In any case I'd eventually like to find or build a M14/M1A.

Scott. I haven't researched it really, but whats the difference and/or evolution of the M1 Garand to the M14/M1A. As well, whats the difference between the M14 and M1A? Military Vs Civilian model like the M16/AR15? In any case I'd eventually like to find or build a M14/M1A.

The M1 turned into the M14 around the late 50's according to this M14/M1A book I had. It started off as the T44 I believe and went from there. The M14, basically has the capability of fully automatic fire, like was the case with the squad light machine gun version they had. It had a bi-pod on it, and fired in fully automatic. At the time, the Army kind of deemed it a "worthless" creation9M14A1). The M1A is basically you're civilian style, as you said the M16 to AR15 type. As far as the M14 history goes, it beat out the Belgians T48 (basically the SA58) to eventually be our battle rifle. Honestly to this day, we'll NEVER have a true BATTLE RIFLE that will be what the M14 and the M1 Garand were.

If you place an M1 Garand and M1A/M14 side by side, the same features are really the bolt, sights, and you could say the walnut stock. The M14 came with a flip up butt plate (which I loved) for added stability during fully automatic fire. That's one added benefit where the M14/M1A design start to differ other than the obvious magazine fed vs. box mag fed from the top Garand style.

2 Versions of M14

http://tri.army.mil/LC/cs/csi/m14rifle.jpg

There are tons of M1A versions out there from Springfield, but traditional M14's were produced by companies like Winchester, TRW, Remington, and Harrington & Richardson Arms Co.

Here's some factual and not bad info from Wikipedia suprisingly: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M14_rifle

Yes, though I believe they moved their online sales to the Alabama store as that is where mine came from and that is what they direct you to on their site. Of course, you still have to have CMP access to buy in-store (I assume you do?).

Scott, your M14 was sexy. I'm more partial to wood stocks than synthetic.

Second Garand showed up today. New wood on it as well.

The first Garand I have has a WRA bolt, the second one is a HRA. Neither of them are a matching number gun though (no big deal, didn't expect them to be close being service grade)

Now I just have to figure out which one to give my Dad.

http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w239/D94R/Guns/IMGP1796.jpg