To 1G or not to 1G?

Alex L.

1G DSM, Talon TSi AWD, I found one on Craigs that looks pretty nice. Needs a clutch but is supposed to be a good running car with a few mods. He's asking $1,900 for it.

Should I pursue this and go look at it or just let it die?

Guest Removed

1900 for a broken car...that will keep breaking...NO!

yes they can be fun, but they have a way of sucking wallets dry...like the over pricing from the get go, and the fee hun you would need to make it go again...

bet it was modded at home depot

The Lexus and MkII Supra would come with me, MKIV potentially.

wait wat?

back to topic. A good rule of thumb is however much your going to buy a 1g (or 2g DSM) for is approximatly the amount of money your going to have to put into it to have a fairly good working car. So when he says 1900 and it needs a clutch, think of spending upwards of 4k+ Everybody likes to look at DSM's as cheap speed but they will nickle and dime the hell out of you especially an older model that may or may not have been well kept. Keep this in mind especially if your going to mod it, it will break and you will need to fix it. This is going to cost money wether you do the repairs yourself or not.

If I had a single turbo supra i dont see why i would need a 1g. I guess I dont see where your coming from with this?

I can't drive the other cars in the winter though, and that's one major upside with a 1G.

I've been looking at a lower priced 1G for something to fuck around with (not do a build like I've done with the SC300) and have some cheap fun with. I see what you're saying Ryan, and I appreciate the input. :)

I think that I will go take a look at this and see what it's all about.

I can't drive the other cars in the winter though, and that's one major upside with a 1G.

You will drive it for about the first month of winter if you are lucky, then it will break and you'll be pissed about having to work on it in the cold, so either you learn to hate it more or you just won't fix it and will still end up driving one of your other cars in the winter.

If you buy a DSM you may as well buy 4 spares to steal parts from. Seriously, don't waste your money.

$1900 seems a bit high with a fucked up clutch and they're a bit of a bitch to do on an AWD. You can find good ones for the same cost or cheaper. Most people that talk about these cars know little about them, all 3 of mine were very reliable and all of them are that way when you don't treat them like shit like most of them have been.

Stick to the pre-93 cars to stay away from the 7 bolt motors, they just don't hold up in the long run like the 6 bolts though for daily use they'd be fine really.

they're a bit of a bitch to do on an AWD. You can find good ones for the same cost or cheaper

tranny isnt that hard. its takes me 45mins to have the tranny completly out! I just did this last week on my galant for my new tranny and twin disc clutch i bought.

As far as the price 1900 is too high. I've bought 3 1g talons all for 1500 or less (and they all ran great!) So if that's what you want keep looking. Their cheap and easy to mod. The biggest problem is people think the cars are junk....not really true there are a lot of kids and hacks that buy these cars and their always broken! (lol mines been broken for a while now but its because im lazy). Try looking on columbusdsm.com you can find a nicer car probably on there.

My 1G is the most fun I've EVER had driving a car. They are great little cars WHEN THEY RUN. Mine has spent a pretty much 50-50% of the time that I've owned it down. The simple fact of the matter is they're old cars. They'll nickle and dime you. Also, $1900 is too much money for a broken DSM. If you can talk the guy down (quite a bit), go for it. They're an absolute blast to drive in the snow. But know that you WILL be dumping cash into it.

do you want it for a daily or to make it fast? either way if you beat on it, it will break.

there is a 2000 black c5 vette in ashland ohio for $8000

Actually, most of the time they break just sitting there parked. :o