slicks on the highway

Reed44

Guest Removed
how bad is it from here to dragway 42 to run slicks on the higway? anyone ever done it?. I have never ran slicks before.

take a jack, and a lug wrench...swap wheels

some slicks like to loose air..and are rather wiggly on the freeway

Guest Removed
I have a set of hoosiers that are straight slicks and a set of hankooks with two waterlines in them. they are 275/40/17 and I don't know my bolt pattern

5 on 4 3/4 :p

Ill get the part off the tire in the morning. the came off an sti who used them at mid ohio. have edge wear but center is still good. won't they where out fast on the road?

Guest Removed
Ill get the part off the tire in the morning. the came off an sti who used them at mid ohio. have edge wear but center is still good. won't they where out fast on the road?

then you might be fine...air them up, and pray :o

ur gonna make me more nervous saying that lol. I will just put 30 psi in them and go.

IMO don't. Read the above posts from very knowledgeable people. On a scale of 1-10, I see 0 in terms of it being safe and smart.

Just my two Lincolns worth.

Those aren't drag slicks, so they have a stiff sidewall. They'll handle highway driving just fine. Drag slicks are like jello because they have soft flexible sidewalls which allow a launching car to put down more footprint. Racing slicks have very stiff sidewalls for cornering which makes them more responsive, not less.

since they are a racing slick for corners, will they still be better than my street tires on the track. how fast will the freeway ware them out?

No, they have a stiffer sidewall as mentioned above, than stock tires. You'll have a more difficult time transferring inertial energy because of that.

If it rains or the road is wet, you're fucked. I drove home from Norwalk in the '86 with my bald ass drag radials and got caught in some rain. I thought I was going to die, or worse. ;) I was literally doing like 15 down the road after I almost lost the ass end. If there is any rain in the forecast at all, I wouldn't do it... :(

If it rains go slow dont punch it youll be fine, I run hoosiers on my mustang I used to drive to school everyday with them on in the rain and all kind of scary but can still be done, the worst part is your front tires are hopefully good because the back will get loose if you slam on the brakes in rain but for the most part you should be fine just air em up and go