car audio question (sub wiring)

Hey all.. . I have this 4 channel quantum amp (1200W) that I have bridged to 2 channel (600x2) @ 4ohm. . . and I have these 2 quantum 10" dual voice coil 4-ohm subs that I've wired to 8-ohm single output.

I hooked it all up and they sound okay, but I was wondering if there was a better configuration for this particular setup? Or should I just buy a couple single voice coil 4-ohm subs for better performance/sound?

Here are some pics of my clean install :)

%5Bimg%5Dhttp%3A//c4.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images02/108/l_5653d1523af346fe9d93f3af8c661aff.jpghttp://c4.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images02/100/l_df92d0f818ea47af9c8b593e6f9b7ac7.jpg[/img]

Edited by Slimpsy

More for spl . . but nothing crazy. The amp is bridged at 2x600 4-ohm. I thought about doing the parallel connection but wouldn't that require me to have a mono capable amp?

Honestly it sounds good fine right now for what I want it for. . . but I don't want to burn up the amp or something cause I'm feeding it an 8-ohm load when it's bridged at 4-ohm.

More for spl . . but nothing crazy. The amp is bridged at 2x600 4-ohm. I thought about doing the parallel connection but wouldn't that require me to have a mono capable amp?

Honestly it sounds good fine right now for what I want it for. . . but I don't want to burn up the amp or something cause I'm feeding it an 8-ohm load when it's bridged at 4-ohm.

not really. as long as ur amp can handle a 4-ohm load and has a low pass filter your good. whats the lowest ohm load it can handle ?

I would think at this day and age any amp would be 2ohm stable. Hopefully it is, then you can wire the subs down to 2ohm, it will hit like tyson. Then just adjust your db levels accordingly.

I would think at this day and age any amp would be 2ohm stable. Hopefully it is, then you can wire the subs down to 2ohm, it will hit like tyson. Then just adjust your db levels accordingly.

with the subs he has 2-ohms couldnt be achieved with using both of his current subs

with the subs he has 2-ohms couldnt be achieved with using both of his current subs

If he ran both subs in parallel and ran one to each bridged drive. and that is prolly his bet if the subs/ amp can take it. like 1200w to each sub. or to use half the amp and not run bridged to be 600 to each sub.

otherwise run each sub in series and then bridge together to one channel. which would 300w to each sub.

i say your best bet is to get a mono amp stable to 1 ohm, or a dual 2 ohm stable.

true. I do have a amp thats 1 ohm stable Im trying to get rid of too. For the right price it can be his lol

The amp is stable @ 2-ohms if I run it as a 4 channel. Couldn't I run a 1 channel to each of the voice coils as well??

No. Just run the subs parallel and in stereo. You will be wasting half the amp but should be the best, like 600 to each sub. Also, only run a mono sound to the amp.

Are you running a dual chamber box? ported/sealed?

No. Just run the subs parallel and in stereo. You will be wasting half the amp but should be the best, like 600 to each sub. Also, only run a mono sound to the amp.

Are you running a dual chamber box? ported/sealed?

Do you want to make some bank and help me out? I'm car-audio retarded in most respects. I can sling wire, but that's about it. The box is a sealed custom enclosure that goes under the rear seats of my quad cab ram. Wish it was ported. . but it is not.

Do you want to make some bank and help me out? I'm car-audio retarded in most respects. I can sling wire, but that's about it. The box is a sealed custom enclosure that goes under the rear seats of my quad cab ram. Wish it was ported. . but it is not.

I replied to your pm, and yeah i will hellp.. i have a mspaint on the way for you.

Hey Big Steve. . .I'm running the amp on the low pass filter, and have the headunit's built in crossover on high's for the component speakers.

Here's the subs:

http://www.quantumaudio.net/cozmiksubs_qcw10d4.htm

Here's the amp:

http://www.quantumaudio.net/solaramp_qsa4150.htm

Put up some pics of my install in main post. It's gonna be a bitch rewiring this thing. . I took the drivers seat out and ran all the wires under carpet to install amp for a clean install. We'll do it up tho Ramsey. . . I'll bring some adult beverages :)

Perfect. Im thinking we can run each sub as 2 ohm, but we will Y the signal to get the mono sound. Just call me saturday morning when you wanna come up.

You could also cross them over and you can get a better quality sound and make them bump a little more. If not you can trick the amp into reading a 4ohm load running them parallel. However, I recommend to add a crossover if you are gonna do that to be on the safe side.