Cant get brakes to stop squealing

V8 Beast

On Speedracers.. oh I mean my wifes car her brakes squeal. Its not like the normal noise you get from brake dust.. its more like the squeak of 2 smooth surfaces rubbing together. Brakes have been changed and have over 95% pad on them. We changed them to see if that was what was causing the noise and obviously it wasnt. When I cleaned them with brake cleaner I noticed it did get better but still kind of grabbed and sqeaked as she came to a complete stop. Not sure if there is a component of the braking system that needs oiled.... Or do you think I should I rub the pads on the sidewalk to stop the noise?

What kind of pads did you buy? Did you turn or replace the rotors? Does the pedal feel normal?

If there was a problem the pedal might feel funny, cheaper pads can do stupid shit like this, or old rotor surface. If the pedal feels good, I'd turn the rotors and scuff up the pads (not on the sidewalk use sandpaper).

What kind of pads did you buy? Did you turn or replace the rotors? Does the pedal feel normal?

If there was a problem the pedal might feel funny, cheaper pads can do stupid shit like this, or old rotor surface. If the pedal feels good, I'd turn the rotors and scuff up the pads (not on the sidewalk use sandpaper).

I was hoping not to hear that. Rotors are 6 years old and speedracer stops harder than she accelerates. Time to replace those too :(

I was hoping not to hear that. Rotors are 6 years old and speedracer stops harder than she accelerates. Time to replace those too :(

What do the rotors look like? Age doesn't neccesitate replacement, just warpage, grooves, rust pitting, and of course thickness.

Smear grease on the front of the pads. Quiets them right down...

Seriously though, if that car uses the type of caliper that has slider pins/bolts (and it likely does) you need to grease them with a good high temp grease now and then. At least each time you put new pads on, or they can get gummed up and may not slide on the pins freely causing them to drag lightly.

Guest Removed

moly lube on metal to metal contact surface's.

most brake noise is a vibration, of metal to metal contact..

and those cheap ass 10 pads just plain make noise.

and rotor surface has to be correct aswell

this sounds all ghetto, but take the pad off and put a a couple of pieces of duct tape on the back, or some of that orange goo if your not a cheapass like me. it should quiet down.

you also need to lube the pads where they contact the hardware and make sure the slide pins are free if it doesn't shake I woudn't worry about the rotors much for a squeal

Guest Removed
if it doesn't shake I woudn't worry about the rotors much for a squeal

if you dont want squeals, rotor surface is everything to new pad break in.

Guest tbutera2112
this sounds all ghetto, but take the pad off and put a a couple of pieces of duct tape on the back, or some of that orange goo if your not a cheapass like me. it should quiet down.

you also need to lube the pads where they contact the hardware and make sure the slide pins are free if it doesn't shake I woudn't worry about the rotors much for a squeal

they have that blue stuff in the spray can that works pretty good

but really i would try and burnish them in again. Here are the GM instructions for burnishing the brakes:

Burnishing Pads and Rotors

Caution

Road test a vehicle under safe conditions and while obeying all traffic laws. Do not attempt any maneuvers that could jeopardize vehicle control. Failure to adhere to these precautions could lead to serious personal injury and vehicle damage.

Caution

Refer to

Brake Dust Caution in Cautions and Notices.

Burnishing the brake pads and brake rotors is necessary in order to ensure that the braking surfaces are properly prepared after service has been performed on the disc brake system.

This procedure should be performed whenever the disc brake rotors have been refinished or replaced, and/or whenever the disc brake pads have been replaced.

1. Select a smooth road with little or no traffic.
  2. Accelerate the vehicle to 48 km/h (30 mph).

1. Important

Use care to avoid overheating the brakes while performing this step.

2. Using moderate to firm pressure, apply the brakes to bring the vehicle to a stop. Do not allow the brakes to lock.
  3. Repeat steps 2 and 3 until approximately 20 stops have been completed. Allow sufficient cooling periods between stops in order to properly burnish the brake pads and rotors.

Guest Removed

damn, about to say brian, you bring it over here, i'll give you all the homo you can handle..lmao

just leave the black dildos at home.