permit to knock out a wall?

evan9381

do i need to get any sort of permit from the city or elsewhere to knock out a wall between 2 bedrooms? ive got 3, but theyre all small, and i want to turn 2 of them into a master bedroom, but the wall has to come out.

TIA

do i need to get any sort of permit from the city or elsewhere to knock out a wall between 2 bedrooms? ive got 3, but theyre all small, and i want to turn 2 of them into a master bedroom, but the wall has to come out.

TIA

Load bearing? what is below and above it? Could there be plumbing in the wall?

Load berring? what is below and above it? Could there be plumbing in the wall?

im pretty sure its not load bearing, as the wall runs the same direction as th trusses. above it is attic space, below it is the 1/2 basement (its a 3 level split). highly doubtful any plumbing running thru it. a couple electrical boxes, yes, but its a closet wall, one room the closet is closer to the south side of the house, the other its on the north side.

im pretty sure its not load bearing, as the wall runs the same direction as th trusses. above it is attic space, below it is the 1/2 basement (its a 3 level split). highly doubtful any plumbing running thru it. a couple electrical boxes, yes, but its a closet wall, one room the closet is closer to the south side of the house, the other its on the north side.

I doubt you would need a permit, but i can check in the morning.

It is harder to sell a 2 BR house that is registered with the county as a 3 BR house.

I did a paver patio, no permit required.

The reason for the deck permit is people often underbuild the deck and a large crowd gets hurt.

true dave, your dad knows what hes doing.

i know the 2br aspect would be harder to sell, and lower the value, but for the time, the lower value should lower my taxes. plus, i dont plan on leaving here for years, i just bought it in march...i think i have to stay here 3 years and if i leave, i have to pay back the first time home buyer credit.

but as chad stated, i may end up putting the wall back up if/when i decide to sell the house down the road, or even do a bedroom in the lower level "basement" (3 level split). the one room is probably no bigger than 9x12, then the room on the other side of the wall i want to knock down is like 14x14, and the 3rd is like 13x13ish.

chad- hopefully im going to get started on this in the next couple weeks now that my $ has come in. ill have to get with you to find a time good for you to get some ceiling fans/lights wired up, and some overhead lighting and fans on the main floor.

the lower value should lower my taxes.

doesn't really work that way. you have to pay to have it reappraised (and hope they lower the value since you did all the other work and not raise it) and then have the city/county whatever reevaluate everything and hope they lower them. my mom said hers just went up not too long ago and the value dropped on her house:confused:

well, the assessor had it appraised at 117,300 in 2007, and when i bought it, HUD's apraisal said 75k, and my banks said 80k. im not too worried about it right now, i just need to be able to put a bed and 2 dressers in a room and still have space to walk around.