Fucking Recession....

KillJoy

The cancellation of the event comes after Oktoberfest – celebrated in some form in Columbus for about 50 years – saw one of its worst years in recent history, O’Donnell said. In hosting the event in the Arena District last year, the society spent about $275,000 and netted $17,000. Just a year before, in one of festival’s best years, the society spent $270,000 and netted $132,000.

http://www.bizjournals.com/columbus/stories/2009/07/06/daily18.html

I've always enjoyed the Italian Festival more, but this is definitely not good for the city.

Last night on the news, they said that it's not canceled, it's just greatly reduced in size. Anyone have any more info on this?

Edit: I read the article that Tim posted.

The board in a statement said the possibility of a much smaller Oktoberfest this fall might be discussed at an August meeting, but O’Donnell said the society “would not be looking at closing down any street.” A likelier proposition, she said, is working with area businesses to host sales and other specials during the month.

I'm fairly certain there will still be one....it just won't be hosted by the same people. I know one of the guys that's talking with other investors right now to set it up. It's not 100% but a couple of key people are already onboard.