Weird ignition issue, '92 Camaro...

2 Sweet

About three years ago, I was driving my '92 Camaro RS (305 TBI 700R4) and I went to eat at Pizza Hut or some shit. When I went to leave I tried to start the car, and it did nothing. The lights and everything still worked, but it wouldn't even try to crank. It made no sound whatsoever when I would try to start it. But for whatever reason 10 minutes later it started up fine no problem, and I never had another issue with it.

Fast forward to today. I hadn't driven the car in 4-5 days, but there have been times when I haven't driven it for weeks and it'll still start right up. Well today it did that same exact shit it did 3 years ago. I tried putting it in neutral and starting it (in case it was the neutral safety switch acting up) and it didn't help. I said fuck it and took my other car to work, figuring maybe it's another fluke again and it'll be fine later. Well I came back after work tonight and sure enough, I tried to start it, and it fired right up.

So, whats the deal? It's only happened twice in 3 years/20k miles. Is this a starter issue? Battery? Something inside the key or ignition switch fucking up?

Have you tried pulling the battery connection with it running to see if the engine dies? I had a problem like this in my cavalier. My alternator was dying. I replaced it and it never had an issue starting.

Guest Removed
I'm gonna second guess you on this one Rob, I've had some GMs that won't crank when the security shit isn't working right.

that will depend on how the system is failing....

key fucking up would let it crank, but the security light blinks etc.

but you said this ^

that will depend on how the system is failing....

I think that the key fucking up on an older VATS system would keep it from cranking, not kill the fuel pump like you're thinking.

BTW diagnosing cars over the internet FTL.