210+ Mph...

Trouble Maker

I've received a ticket in Cali from a cop who "estimated" my speed with his eyes. There's no law saying that they have to be able to show you the speed on the radar etc. If they "think" you're going a certain speed, they can ticket you, and it'll hold up in court.

did you actually go to court? because you could have beaten that EASY.

did you actually go to court? because you could have beaten that EASY.

Yep, took it to court. When I brought up the issue of no radar/laser having been used, the judge explained to me that "California is confident in the training and experience of its police officers/highway patrol to accurately measure, within reason, whether an individual is travelling at excess speed."

We all enjoying going fast, but there's a limit to how fast is safe on public roads. I don't think it's insane to punish those going above specified speed based on income. Keep the standard tiers for reckless op at 20mph over and let a judge put discretionary the higher charges. IMO anything over 150mph should rank into income based options as an up to amount to apply as the penalty.

I bought my turbo car to go quickly and enjoy the spirit of driving but not to go fast on public roads. I'm beyond that now in my stage of life. I've actually slowed down overall in terms of my daily driving. The 16-25yr olds that rev me perhaps have limited experiences and consider a roll-race with me on 315 a thrill. To me.....meh....been there done that in my dumb years. I've done Bondurant, Mid-Ohio, Nelson's, etc.....enough times and would much rather do that than risk my income, life and others.

I mean really, a 6pt Reckless Op charge I faced several years ago kinda woke me up to the situation. I fought it and plead it down to 2pts and a cheap fine, but overall, I learned that it's just not worth it anymore.

i make 20k a year and was going 170mph...how would you base my ticket...200 bucks?

i make 20k a year and was going 170mph...how would you base my ticket...200 bucks?

Maximum fine or based on the value of the car you were in possession of at the time of the crime, whichever is greater.

I'm also game for confiscation of said vehicle, thus if it's a rental or a lease or borrowed from your father, you'll then be liable to the owner for the balance of the vehicle just as you would if you had it confiscated for drug possession.

Haven't thought through all the details, but in the end the goal is to instill that if you can afford to play with fast toys and take risks then you can afford the pain that comes with being irresponsible.

In the case of the State Trooper and Gahanna cop caught, they should lose their jobs, their bikes and pay a hefty fine while losing driving privileges for 3yrs just as our boy here on CR did. IMO, they all got off easy for the crimes committed.

dude, you would fit into the government PERFECTLY! take everyones hard earned money, any way you can get it!!!

Taking everyone's money? How would my theory be the root cause of someone losing their hard earned money? Those guilty are the cause of the consequences, not the law makers or backers of such a proposal.

Next time you get caught speeding and lose your license I dare you to stand up and asked the judge/magistrate not to "take" your license and fine you heavily because they'll cause you heartache and grief and potentially your job. Go ahead and cry the blues and see what words they have for you. 99% certainty you'll get an earful on being accountable for your own actions and that in fact you were the cause of the end results, not them or the lawmakers.

The Gahanna cop and State Trooper caught put those events in motion and can only blame themselves, not anyone else for what happens to them. No one is taking their job or their money or causing them grief. They put those actions in motion.

your completely right. that's why they shorten the length of yellow lights when they add redlight cameras. what the hell is wrong with me? the gubment has always been there to serve the people, and not some completely different agenda:jerkit:

So somehow the above is related to my previous comment regarding accountability :wtf:

I've read the debates back and forth about yellow light timing....bottom line is that yellow means stop unless it would be unsafe to do so, not try and blow through before the light turns red. I drive through them all the time in Arlington and downtown and have never had an issue....but then I hit the brakes when I see yellow, not the gas.

If you understand how the cameras are triggered, you'll know that you don't get the ticket for entering the intersection when the light is yellow. You also don't get cited for being in the intersection when the light turns red. What you do get ticketed for is crossing the sensor and entering the intersection when the light is already red. So it doesn't matter how long the yellow is, if you obey the law, you don't get ticketed.

What's next...should we all bitch because one day we get a ticket for 73mph in a 65mph zone yet other times, the officer doesn't flinch? Perhaps the fact that the limit is 65mph should actually mean something to those behind the wheel. Accountability; more people should try it. It makes a lot more sense than trying to blame the law or lawmakers when the one driving is the guilty one.

Edited by TTQ B4U

alright, i totally skimmed your previous post and was looking for a good excuse to use that specific smily(i mean, c'mon!!!). i will say though that your pretty naive(or pretending to be atleast) saying that the length of the yellow doesn't make a difference. i mean, it's pretty much a bait & switch of sorts. my quick search hasn't shown any actual laws in the US regarding yellow lights, but evidentally it's 'accepted' that a light should be long enough to allow a vehicle at the legal speed limit to slow to a stop without drama or make it into the intersection before a light change. so when people have lived in an area for years, and red light cams are installed with the duration of yellows shortened, the people are being tricked into running a red. unless the yellows were ungodly long before or something(not like that exists, lol).

and nevermind the studies have proven that red light cams cause more accidents(rearends) than before they were installed. yes, this wouldn't happen if everyone was paying attention and obeyed every law to the fullest(I.E., a perfect world), but that doesn't change the stats.

you can't make a legitimate case that it isn't about money, can you???

no hostility here, if it seems like it, just lookin' for a good time waster, lol. and i SO don't believe that you stop at yellows!!!!

i mean, it's pretty much a bait & switch of sorts. my quick search hasn't shown any actual laws in the US regarding yellow lights, but evidentally it's 'accepted' that a light should be long enough to allow a vehicle at the legal speed limit to slow to a stop without drama or make it into the intersection before a light change.

The length of a yellow light is regulated by the DOT Engineering Dept. They base the length on the size/type of intersection and the speed limit in the areas. They also do go back out and study intersections to modify lights. You can see this at Sawmill/270. There are far fewer incidences of cars getting stuck in the intersection there, except for A-Holes that do it purposely. They've tweaked that HUGE intersection rather well over the past few years.

so when people have lived in an area for years, and red light cams are installed with the duration of yellows shortened, the people are being tricked into running a red. unless the yellows were ungodly long before or something(not like that exists, lol).

There was actually a study or two done in Dallas regarding this. You're right, people have long based their driving habits on being able to blow yellow/changing lights and are now being caught.

However, they are NOT being tricked. The rules of the road haven't changed. Drivers simply have been making an ongoing choice to break the rule and hit the gas peddle when seeing a yellow light vs beging to stop. Again, the people complaining need to take a driving test and change their long ongoing habit to actually obey the rules and not drive by their own rules. Yellow doesn't mean blow the upcoming red. It means, caution, red light approaching, STOP.

The city actually recognizes this and will often provide 30-90 days if not more grace period for drivers to become accustomed to the new signals and cameras. Columbus has always announced this grace period and the news Stations reinforce this too. SO....drivers really have no excuse.

and nevermind the studies have proven that red light cams cause more accidents(rearends) than before they were installed. yes, this wouldn't happen if everyone was paying attention and obeyed every law to the fullest(I.E., a perfect world), but that doesn't change the stats.

you can't make a legitimate case that it isn't about money, can you???

I agree and have seen reports of higher rear end collisions, but the DOT studies that I have seen also showed that rear end collisions are far less costly in terms of damage and injuries vs the number of T-Bone accidents that were occurring at those same intersections. The number of T-Bone accidents at those intersections was show to have dropped, as have the pedestrian involved accidents. Now I don't know about you, but I have two kids and I'd much rather have someone hit the back of my car vs the side if it were going to happen. Again, such an accident won't be my fault whereas blowing a light and causing one would be. My car will also fair way better which means greater safety for me and my kids.

Regarding revenue....everything is about money. However, the money coming into the cities with red light cameras isn't ripping drivers off. Drivers only pay if they break the law. The city is simply installing a more consistent way of enforcing the laws to in turn make those who break the laws feel the pain by attacking their wallet. I don't see how that's wrong?

Taking one's hard earned money is about the best way to a reaction from them as most everyone, especially today, is coin-operated. Hand-slaps and time-outs in the corner don't do shit. The fact that a third-party and the city make profit isn't wrong. Profit isn't a dirty word in any situation.

So in the end is it wrong to enforce the rules and laws in place? No.

Is it wrong to charge law breakers? No.

Is anyone being "tricked" ? No.

Is there plenty of notice of red light intersections and possible changes to timing of lights? Yes.

Are drivers upset? Only the ones that break laws.

no hostility here, if it seems like it, just lookin' for a good time

waster, lol. and i SO don't believe that you stop at yellows!!!!

Same here, no worries.

Regarding my driving habits.....I absolutely stop at yellows when I have room to do so. I've been driving for 24 years and have never been cited for failure to stop in any situation. I also rarely if ever jump off the line at a green light either. Neither is worth it as I can't control what the opposing cars are doing....only my actions.

well, i guess we're just gonna have to agree to disagree then. while i completely understand what your saying, i believe that by some moral stand point the way the red light cams are set up and operated is wrong. in the end, yea, life isn't fair. that won't stop me from bitching about it though, lol.