06 GranSport or 09 CTS-V?

fish4hackers

I am swapping out one of my cars for one of the following:

2006 Maserati Gransport

2009 Cadillac CTS-V

Both are relatively the same price. This would be replacing my daily ride, so I have to consider winter weather, which is def better with the CTS-V. I like the looks of the Gransport better, but am concerned about both wintertime and the DSG (flappy paddle) gearbox. I think I would prefer a normal stick.

Thoughts?

cts. has to be cheaper to maintain.

+1000

5 year/100k mile warranty and dealerships still all over the place vs. a car that is probably already out of warranty and expensive as hell to find anything for---no brainer

creature comforts and a conservatively rated 550 hp vs. significantly less power----no brainer

boatloads of torque at 2000 rpms, instant boost of a positive displacement blower vs. naturally anemic (i mean aspirated) motor that doesn't make power until 5000+ rpms----no brainer

pulley swap/exhaust/dyno tune=700hp vs. no chance in hell of finding anything other than maybe a $10k exhaust kit with 20hp gain----no brainer

about the only thing the caddy lacks is the sheer sex appeal. but if you plan on using the car as a primary way to get laid, you might as well just pay for a whore--they're cheaper in the end, with less drama

see, i made the decision for you.

now a more difficult decision is whether to buy an '09 CTSV or an '09 Z06

+1000

5 year/100k mile warranty and dealerships still all over the place vs. a car that is probably already out of warranty and expensive as hell to find anything for---no brainer

creature comforts and a conservatively rated 550 hp vs. significantly less power----no brainer

boatloads of torque at 2000 rpms, instant boost of a positive displacement blower vs. naturally anemic (i mean aspirated) motor that doesn't make power until 5000+ rpms----no brainer

pulley swap/exhaust/dyno tune=700hp vs. no chance in hell of finding anything other than maybe a $10k exhaust kit with 20hp gain----no brainer

about the only thing the caddy lacks is the sheer sex appeal. but if you plan on using the car as a primary way to get laid, you might as well just pay for a whore--they're cheaper in the end, with less drama

see, i made the decision for you.

now a more difficult decision is whether to buy an '09 CTSV or an '09 Z06

I was going to make all the points you did on warranty, dealer servicing etc... but thanks for beating me to it.

However I wouldnt neccessarily say a 550hp RWD car would handle great in an Ohio winter, despite electronic nannies your going to need at least some really good snow tires. How did you narrow it down to these 2? Im sure there are a ton of other cars to be had for the same price?

Guest tbutera2112
I was going to make all the points you did on warranty, dealer servicing etc... but thanks for beating me to it.

However I wouldnt neccessarily say a 550hp RWD car would handle great in an Ohio winter, despite electronic nannies your going to need at least some really good snow tires. How did you narrow it down to these 2? Im sure there are a ton of other cars to be had for the same price?

i cant find that video of the cts flying through a neighborhood on snow covered roads, and sliding around corners and shit like it was dry as ever....somebody post it

I considered other, like the following:

2008 audi rs4 (too plain)

2009 gt-r (too expensive)

2007 jaguar xkr (only automatic)

2008 infinity g37 (too common)

I was leaning towards the CTS-V, but am even more so after reading these posts. I have a friend with an 07 CTS-V and drives it in the snow without problems. I am not too sure about the Mas even with the "low grip" setting. Considering the cost of repair, 4 doors, and the winter months, it boils down to practicality vs looks for me right now.

2008 audi rs4 (too plain) :wtf:

Hands down the best car in the list, especially for a DD.

I like the RS4, and my wife even owns an A4, but the CTS-V is a way better daily driver:

- Roomier

- More comfortable

- More luxury oriented

Yet:

- WAY more power and power potential

You can say AWD all you want, but it's not needed in Ohio. Hell, I drove my Firebird years ago through a bad snow year with snow tires, and was getting around way better than all of these front drivers people buy because they are "good in the snow." No traction control, no weight added to the back, just snow tires.

Guest tbutera2112
Snow tires make more of a difference than anything else

Now then.....who here honestly wouldn't want a freaking Maserati?

not that one

I'm a bit lost on why we're comparing a 4 door car to a two door car?

...I'd still pick the Maserati for several reasons in this case.

1) Ferrari V8

2) I refuse to ever buy a brand new car and take that depreciation hit

3) Maintenance and warranty are overrated if you can do your own work.

4) Ferrari V8

5) Ferrari V8

Andy