Interview attire?

verse

Of course you should look nice for an interview, but I'm just curious what everyone thinks is acceptable.

I have an interview next week for a management position right after work. I was thinking of just wearing some nice khaki pants and a golf polo. Other people say they always wear a tie. What do you think is acceptable?

I've been hired at jobs where I wore a polo and khakis for the interview. I've also been hired wearing a shirt and tie and also just a dress shirt and dress pants but with no tie. You can never overdress when it comes to interviews but a lot of it has to do with how you carry yourself.

For a management position, I highly recommend wearing a nice dress shirt and tie.

Going into a position that might require you to wear that, then coming to the interview in "business casual" would look bad.

A proper fitting suit at that.

Nothing says: "I'm 23 applying for my first real job" more than an oversized poorly tailored jacket and pleated slacks.

Further more:

Nothing says: "I am ready to work at Best Buy" like khakis and a polo shirt.

Dress to the standard that you believe you are worth.

This is a no brainer.

Show up in a properly fitted suit or dont' bother at all, and don't forget appropriate shoes that have been shined to a mirror finish!

Actually, judging by the first post I'll add these pointers:

* Shower

* Shave

* Use deodorant

* Use cologne *not too much now*

* Bring copy of resume in appropriate binder.

I would not hire you for management if you showed up in a polo and khakis.

Quoted for truth.

In an interview, one always wants to convey the best possible impression of themselves, while limiting the reasons for others to be looked at more favorably.

Just think of it like this: If you and another person were almost identical in skill, experience, and intangibles, who would you think worked harder to make an impression, and may want the job a little more? Candidate A in the casual attire (khakis and polo)? Or, Candidate B in the business suit and tie?

I don't care if I'm interviewing for a GM's position, or trying to get that fluffer's job down on Cleveland Ave. I'm wearing a suit!

It's not a huge job, but it'll get me away from turning wrenches. It's a store manager job at an auto parts store.

Dress the part that is in line with the job. I would wear a nice sport coat, button down shirt, tie and slacks. A full Suite and tie may be a bit much. It's not like you'll likely wear either of those outfits to the job, but they and you know that.

Best wishes on the endeavor.