2001 ford f150 supercab XLT

armin922

im looking for a truck and for some reason i like the older body style ford f150's. They have one for sale at ricart with 130k miles on it for 9995. Im gonna talk them down but i saw it inperson and its VERY VERY clean for a 2001. The interior and exterior is immaculate. It says Triton on the badging but they told me its a 4.6L. Anyways, is there anything major with these engines/trucks. Im gonna go back tomorrow to look at it some more because today i just did a quick glance at it because of the rain. Is there anything i should look for with this truck? How reliable is this year F150 and the engine and ETC. THANK YOU

good trucks weve got an expedition but its with teh 5.4 so i cant vouch for the 4.6 .

only issues weve had and friends wthe f150s have had was the ball joints other then the odds an ends thing that a older truck with higher miles woudl have. goodluck man

if its a 4.6 like my mountaineer which is a 2002 they like to eat ignition coils, mines been through 5 outta 8 in the 50k we've owned the truck from 40k-90k. Over than that its been reliable as hell. That truck does seem extremely high priced with those miles. Shit I'd sell my mountaineer for 6k if you're interested in something like that vs a full size truck.

Seen a ton of ignition coils, ball joints and squeaky control arm bushings. Thats it, otherwise most of them at the shop seem to be dry underneath fluid wise. We just had one come in with 170K and it was dry underneath.

if it hasn't been gone through already the front end is probably shot I would go get it looked at somewhere other than the dealer or have them rack it infront of you so you can check the front end parts

the only thing you want to look at is the egr tube fittings they rust off and are kind of a bitch to change if you don't have a torch

cool, does anyone have a shop i can bring it to when they let me take it out so that someone can look at it? Im not sure what all to look for but u guys that know ur F150s. Also, what price do u think i should ask for? He told me that if i consider it he would be flexible as far as price goes.

cool, does anyone have a shop i can bring it to when they let me take it out so that someone can look at it? Im not sure what all to look for but u guys that know ur F150s. Also, what price do u think i should ask for? He told me that if i consider it he would be flexible as far as price goes.

Tell us a little more about the truck.

Guest tbutera2112

wow nobody has mentioned the shitty heads.... 4 threads for the spark plugs, they like to shoot out of the head requiring a helicoil or in some cases a new head

ask gearhead about it, his truck has shot out 4 plugs so far

Guest Removed

01...5.4 or 4.6 are bad about 4 thread spark plug holes..and yes it will push them out..

they can be upgraded to 10 thread heads...but its pricy

oh and that thing is over priced..

i got my 02 super duty for 7 k cash tax title and all off a used chevy car lot..3 years ago

and they was asking 11k for it.

but these trucks are going for stupid money at the dealer auction...they must be selling somewhere

Guest Removed
wow nobody has mentioned the shitty heads.... 4 threads for the spark plugs, they like to shoot out of the head requiring a helicoil or in some cases a new head

ask gearhead about it, his truck has shot out 4 plugs so far

i was working on it as you posted..had to walk away from the laptop to take a phone call