WTB: Big MX/All Mountain/Dirt Jumper style bike

KlubFoot

I know there are a few mountain bike threads on the board right now, but this is a little more specific.

I am looking for any year, make and model of a style of bike know as a Big mx/all mountain/dirt jumper bicycle.

Such kinds of bike are like the Specialized P. series and Black Market bikes.

I don't want to spend a fortune, but would like something nice and not mangled. A crankset would be a plus, but single gear will work as well.

Let me know if anyone has anything of the sorts.

Thanks!

My sister has a mountain bike that was quite expense(north of 1200 new) that she was looking to get rid of. I know it's a guys mountain bike that has front shock and an adjustable spring for the rear. I'll see if she still looking to get rid of it and I can get you a pic if you are interrested.

You want a DJ (dirt jump) bike if you are looking at bikes like the Specalized P. That's not what's typically called an All Mountain bike. I've never heard anything called a Big MX bike?

I'm not active on the local boards, but there are local mountain bike boards, might want to try there.

http://joinomba.org/

Guest Removed
Sweet.

old school one at that...

You want a DJ (dirt jump) bike if you are looking at bikes like the Specalized P. That's not what's typically called an All Mountain bike. I've never heard anything called a Big MX bike?

I'm not active on the local boards, but there are local mountain bike boards, might want to try there.

http://joinomba.org/

i think he means cruiser bmx bike..they was like 24" bikes

No... I'm not looking for a 24" cruiser or a 20" bmx bike.

The style of bike I'm looking for doesn't really have a coined category. I have heard people refer to them as what I listed in the original post.

It's basically a mountain bike with more of a BMX bikes geometry. Heavily slanted back bone, but with disc brakes, front suspension and a possibility of a gearset.

I used to ride BMX, but I don't feel comfertable on a 20" anymore. I want to get into ride mountain bike trails and BMX tracks and am looking for something I can do both on.

The specialized P. fits me and my needs perfectly. Besides the P. series, the only other bikes I've seen like it are the Black market bikes and a "dirt jumper" called the Alcatraz from Marin.

Ok... I posted without doing my research. There is a large community and all sorts of bikes and they're being most commonly referred to as Dirt Jump bikes.

That's what I'm looking for.

DJ bike will be perfect for bmx style places. It will be far less than ideal for mtb trails but should work. Same for a regular mtb bike but the other way around. Depends on what you will do more. I have a much bigger concern about you using a DJ bike on regular trails than I do with you using a regular mtb bike for bmx style places. On any "real" mtb trail you could possibly be very uncomfortable and even possibly cause injury due to the seating position on a DJ bike. But if you are goinig to dirt jump, bmx 90% of the time the DJ bike is probably right for you. Just want to make sure you get the right bike so you enjoy it and keep riding!

I've read a lot of reviews on the P.3 and found most love it for intermediate mtn trail riding. I have no intentions of doing any huge drop offs, rock riding and things of the sorts. I'm interested in riding alum creek type trails with a few buddies who will be relatively new to riding, as well as going out to bmx parks, pit bike trails and places like Dans Mountain bike park.

I just feel out of place on a big mountain bike. I'm 6'1" 200lbs and I went and rode a 17" Specialized HardRock yesterday. I had to slam the seat all the way down to feel remotely comfortable. I can't stand having a backbone all up in my nuts either.

I checked out a medium framed P.3 and felt 95% at home. I think I could bump up to a long frame for more of the mtn feel.

Where and what do you ride? Ever ridden a DJ setup? What'd you think?

I ride a Giant Yukon (pretty 'normal' mountain bike), probably pretty equilivant to the Hardrock if I remember it correctly. I ride mostly up at Alum, though I've ridden down at the public BMX place a few times. A friend has a DJ bike, though not as 'slack' as the Specazliced P. that I've ridden. It's great for the dirt jump stuff. He's ridden it a few times at Alum when he's 'normal' mountain bike was down for repairs and was pretty miserable. It doesn't help that it's a single speed.

I understand that you are used to the more sit down position of BMX bikes. Riding like that in a normal trail mountain bike situation (sitting and pedaling for long periods) makes you lean over and puts some pretty nasty angles on your knees. Greatly increasing the stress on your back, knees, and really your whole body. You won't ride as efficient, increase the likelihood of injury to your back or knees. I highly recommend sitting on some other bikes to see if you can find something you like.

This is of course with the exception that if you will ride dirt jumps/bmx a majority of the time, then of course get the DJ bike. If you will ride trails more, or even 50/50, then I'd say go for the regular mountain bike. If you really get into it and are riding 50/50, you'll end up with both anyways.