Insurence people

Tindall2006

So, on my way up to ohio, I was crusing 70 on a interstate and a drunk driver rear ended me (he was doing 100+) While I am alright, my 91 eagle talon is totaled.

My question is, I recently put a new engine, new clutch and a tranny in this car. (within 3,000 miles) Am I intitled to get the money back that I put into this car (parts for the engine, machine shop, my labor for installing)

Give me an idea, also the accident has happened about 7 hours away from home.

Glad you're OK! :eek:

I'm not an expert in P&C Insurance (Property and Casualty), but generally insurance companies don't have a way to calculate "sweat equity" put into a ride. First off, since the drunk hit YOU, it should be his insurance taking care of your losses.

As a policy holder, If you had classic car/specialty insurance, where they place more value on custom touches...or if you have a "rider" from your insurance company stating your car has more than $1000 worth of customized enhancements, then you might get a check.

If you have off-the-shelf Progressive/GEICO coverage, you're going to have to talk to the insurance company to make your case for why you deserve more than a normal '91 Eagle Talon is worth when it's totaled (which my guess would be "not much") :(

When an ins co values a car they start with a value that says the veh is in excellent cond. that inclueds a working motor and tranny. I highly doubt it will add any value. was is a brand new motor and tranny? if so show reciepts and it will add some value not nothing near what you put into it. keep in mind, you always have the opts of keeping the salvg, that way you can still have your motor and tranny for dirt cheap. pm if you have any questions.

Guest tbutera2112
So, on my way up to ohio, I was crusing 70 on a interstate and a drunk driver rear ended me (he was doing 100+) While I am alright, my 91 eagle talon is totaled.

My question is, I recently put a new engine, new clutch and a tranny in this car. (within 3,000 miles) Am I intitled to get the money back that I put into this car (parts for the engine, machine shop, my labor for installing)

Give me an idea, also the accident has happened about 7 hours away from home.

only way you can get extra is with insurance companies that honor receipts....guy i know just got 12k for his 2002 gt from his insurance company...he had receipts for a built motor and suspension etc and his insurance gave him the value of his car, plus a percentage of the value of all his receipts (about 4k)

start keeping receipts is my only suggestion...ive kept most of my receipts with this swap so far, and when its done im going to have my insurance company appraise it and give it a new value

Guest tbutera2112
Cars are not an investment.

definately not, but if i dump 6k into my car and someone hits me, i expect to get my 6k back....my insurance company covers aftermarket parts, so why wouldnt i have it reappraised?

I had a similar situation when I had a competitive car stereo. I said "it will cost X to replace the system" and they paid it.

Since the dude was drunk and hit you, you are not to be screwed by this. Do not let them low ball you and if they do, call a lawyer.

Are you talking about a *new* engine, trans, and clutch (new parts never installed in anything previously, ie: jasper or equivalent) or "new" (new to the car, but purchased from a private party or salvage yard) It does make a difference. If you used truly New parts, be they OE or Aftermarket, you are definately entitled to compensation in the event of a total loss because your car is worth more with the new parts than another like model, like year, like condition '91 Talon. If you used salvage yard parts, you're gonna be hard pressed to prove increased value because the assumption is that you removed non-working parts in favor of working parts from a similar age, condition, and milage car. Unfortunately, if you don't have receipts though, you're screwed either way. The clutch isn't worth anything by the way, it is considered a wear part and no value adjustment is typically given for replacing wear parts. I went through a similar arguement with my insurance company (also my employer) about the new B.A.T. Euro Spec springs and struts I had installed in my Contour 5 days before I hit a deer and totalled it. $1500 just *poof*! Not worth anything without retaining the car.

I will talk to them and see, but I am probably not going to get alot for it. Kind of lame, I am thinking about getting out of the car scene and focusing more on my music and going to school. I am starting drill sergeant school in a week and will not have the time to fuck with the insurence company, buying back car, getting it towed over 300 miles to home or my mom's house. I would like to atleast part it out and make some money, but will probably take the loss, see this as a sign and start spending less on the go fun parts, and more towards my education/music!

My mom and stepdad already told me they are sick of hearing about me working on my car's every day to get to school and work, and decided to give me a 2009 honda civic, (long story) but i will now have reliable transportation,a nd that is honestly all i need at this time.

definately not, but if i dump 6k into my car and someone hits me, i expect to get my 6k back....my insurance company covers aftermarket parts, so why wouldnt i have it reappraised?

That is why you have specialty car insurance, other than that it is a daily driver from an ins co point of view.

Guest tbutera2112
That is why you have specialty car insurance, other than that it is a daily driver from a ins co point of view.

i have grange insurance, nothing special

i have grange insurance, nothing special

My family has always used Grange because they rock. My dad once swapped an engine in his truck and a car hit him while he was hauling the core back to the junk yard. He got paid for the core, the truck, and the replacement engine. Sure it wasn't Grange that had to pay, but one call to our agent got them to make the other insurance co. pay.

Chances are you'll only get ACV(Actual Cash Value) for your vehicle. Getting that from the "drunks" insurance company may be difficult. If you have bodily injury, I would document EVERY day of your situation and how you feel. I would also get a lawyer.

ACV would be determined how much is your vehicle worth to someone else, or in other words, how much could you sell it for?

If the other insurance company is giving you a horrible time, turn the claim into your insurer. Have them give you the money and they will go after them for you. Problem is the "drunks" company has no policy contract with you, they have no "set rules". With your company you have rights and a policy that must be followed.