Kia Sportage power loss

Zeppelin

Hey guys

Hope you can give me ideas.

Got my daughter a '98 Kia Sportage for Christmas. Her 1st car. When I test drove it, it seemed a bit starved for power, but I chalked it up to being an older Kia. Shortly after purchase, it started throwing a MAF code, so I replaced the MAF. MAF code still pops up occasionally, but goes away in a couple days and the car doesn't run any worse while the code is being thrown. Something about a 'high MAF reading". About February, it started getting more sluggish and starved for power. It doesn't want to climb over about 4,000 rpms under load. If its in park, it revs, no problem. Its a struggle to get it over 55 on the freeway, unless its a downhill grade, and accelerating in general is a real slow process. When you get on it at all, and the passing gear kicks in, it actually seems to struggle more and bog the motor. Really feels like its choking under acceleration, or lack thereof. ;) Last couple days its even been stuttering on takeoff.

Anyways, like I said, I have replaced the MAF. Today I replaced the plugs. Old ones looked good, but replaced them anyway since I had gone to all trouble to get to them. What a PITA. The rear ones both had a puddle of oil around the plugs. Not sure if this is normal. I have not worked on an overhead cam motor before. When I pulled those plugs, of course the oil went down into the cylinders. When I started the car up after the install, it stuttered allot from the oil, but even once it burned off, the stuttering is worse than it was before the plug change.

This is leading me to think maybe the O2 sensors are going bad, causing the sluggishness? I think some of the oil probably got on the sensors as it exited the exhaust manifolds and that is what is causing the heavy stuttering now. Plan is to replace the sensors tomorrow (OUCH-$110 ea.) unless you guys think there may be a better avenue to pursue first.

Any ideas are appreciated. Thanks. :)

I checked his site, and didn't see any hours listed anywhere. Is he there on Saturdays do ya know?

Thanks for the quick responses, BTW.

Yes he is a car repair machine call his shop anytime he should answer or leave a message and he will call you back rob is a great person and excellent mechanic 367-1799

ask for help and get sent to a shop.... sweet

rob's a good guy but this dude posted here looking for help so he could fix his own shit

does it have any other codes?

a dirty fuel filter, clogged cat,slipped timing belt, or a vacum leak could cuase the

problems you are desrcibing

if you post up a little more info I'll see if I can give you hand before you take it somewhere

The timing belt has been replaced, and the cat recall has been done recently, along with the fuel tank and fuel line recalls. The reason I am steering toward the O2 sensor is that it was stuttering before, a litttle, and got worse after I changed the plugs and the oil got into the rear cylinders and went out the exhaust. I'm going to tru to get the code read early tomorrow morning, as the 'check engine' light has started flashing since the plug change.

Guest Removed
The timing belt has been replaced, and the cat recall has been done recently, along with the fuel tank and fuel line recalls. The reason I am steering toward the O2 sensor is that it was stuttering before, a litttle, and got worse after I changed the plugs and the oil got into the rear cylinders and went out the exhaust. I'm going to tru to get the code read early tomorrow morning, as the 'check engine' light has started flashing since the plug change.

see you tomorrow..thanks for calling..glad to help

Guest Removed
flashing check engine light is usually due to a severe misfire

get me the codes and I'll look up the diagnostic chart for you

it could be a badmiss fire...but there are also other issue with those that will make the check engine light blink.

and the flow charts in alldata for these suck...granted my kia access isnt much better, but i can see what techs have been dealing with these for years..that the general public and techs cant see :p

Guest Removed
unless you guys think there may be a better avenue to pursue first.

Any ideas are appreciated. Thanks. :)

well, dave..when someone finish's a post with this... IMO, the best thing to do, instead of internet guessing at shit, and throwing money on parts that it may or may not need. it might be a good alternative to take it too someone that knows what they are doing with the platform, and wont just try to take there wallet either.

and considering the flow charts of the maf, tell you how to just check the maf...and dont tell you to , look for the vacuum leaks at the TB gasket, and also check the fuel vapor hoses on the injectors, and so on. or the fact that maybe it clogged the cat again, since kia to put a recall out on those, but the main issue with that is, more then likely, the tech that got the .9 of a hour to replace the cat, more then likely didnt do the rest of the recall(like every other kia tech that i have seen) not do the rest of the checking on the recall, to see if the maf or other issues are the reason behind the cat failure. but then that just my idea.

it could be a badmiss fire...but there are also other issue with those that will make the check engine light blink.

and the flow charts in alldata for these suck...granted my kia access isnt much better, but i can see what techs have been dealing with these for years..that the general public and techs cant see :p

x2. i called rob when our kia sportage started doing that. ending up being fouled plugs.

but. i hate the kia of ours :mad: id rather drive a honda...and thats saying alot..........:rolleyes:

Well, I pulled it back apart this morning and it looked like the plug right under the front coil pack hadn't been firing. Only thing I can think of is that when I put the coil pack down, I missed the plug. Put it back together and no stuttering, no flashing check engine light, and it got up to 65 on Diley Rd. Yesterday, I couldn't get much over 55 on Rt 70. Still wont go over 4,000 rpms though, and actually slows down when you kick in the passing gear.

I'll see ya shortly after 11 Rob. I'm in agreement with you that even though Ricart did the cat recall, it feels like the exhaust might still be clogged or something and bogging the engine. That why I had it taken in to Ricart in the first place. It just feels like something is choking the motor. The intake path is clear. Like you said, it could be one of several other things also.

I appreciate everyone's responses. Thanks again. :)

Guest Removed
x2. i called rob when our kia sportage started doing that. ending up being fouled plugs.

but. i hate the kia of ours :mad: id rather drive a honda...and thats saying alot..........:rolleyes:

well you have a fouled driver :p

Just want to say THANKS to Rob for taking the time with the car. Found that the timing belt had jumped 3 teeth, and was starting to show a bit of wear, so we replaced it. That fixed the power on takeoff, but the car still wouldn't get up to highway speed. Ended up being that the hood insulation had some play in it. Just enough that it was getting sucked down onto the intake on acceleration and choking the motor. Who would have thought. Anyways, car runs strong (for a 1998 Kia) now. Thanks again to Rob and Gearheadz Automotive.

Guest Removed
well the maf wasnt getting proper ground either..when the ground side will only carry 7 volts, then there is a issue..just kept finding issue and fixing them.